What oil does a Chevy dealer use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what we have off the top of my head...
- 5W30 conventional bulk (equivalent to AC Delco 12345610 / 10-9060)
- 5W30 Dexos1 full synthetic bulk
- 0W20 Dexos1 full synthetic bulk
- Mobil 1 5W30 quart bottles
- Mobil 1 0W40 ESP Dexos2 quart bottles (not much)
- AC Delco 5W30 full synthetic Dexos2 quart bottles
- Mobil Delvac 15W40 quart and gallon bottles, but billed by the quart

Those are the GM oils used on GM vehicles.

We do have a drum of 5W20 conventional for used cars that is just billed as "5W20," other than that some random bottles of 10W40 for the parts trucks and stuff.

Last week 5 quarts of m1 was $8, filter 3-4 bucks for a supertech (since you are comparing to jobber filters)

We get Mobil super synthetic from McPherson in the six gallon boxes, as well as cases of Mobil 1 75/90 & 140 gear oil from them. We also have a 55 gal drum of "proteck" universal trans fluid that we seemingly have stopped using, also from McPherson.

We've went to using mostly Napa oil in the six gallon bulk boxes, as it was purchased in large quantity during the April sale, but we're still keeping some Mobil on hand.

In addition to the Delco and motorcraft fluids, we also get Delco wiper blades, Mopar brake cleaner, and premium guard work gloves from southern. We were selling their acdelco batteries, and still have some, but we've started promoting and selling Napa legends almost exclusively. We are a Napa auto Care center.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Another option would be to call them and ask them what they use rather than getting a list of random answers on Bitog.

Just an idea since unless someone knows what dealer you're talking about, not all dealers are the same.

Yup, not that hard to call the dealer and ask.

Bought my Santa Fe at an Acura dealer, they had done an oil change as part of their service package. Walked back and asked the service guy what they use for oil changes on used vehicles, he said they only have bulk Honda oil (made by Mobil?) and use whatever weight is on the cap.
Mom just got a Kia Soul from a Kia dealer, called them and asked what they use in the CPO cars and she said Mobil syn-blend (guessing Mobil Super?).

Not really an issue IMO, since I only run that oil for a short interval as a rinse oil.
In the Santa Fe, I ran it for 1,500 miles, did just a drain and fill with Delo XLE for another 3,000 miles to get me to an even 15,000 miles, and now do 5,000 mile intervals with synthetic.
On my mom's Soul, it will be in for ~1,600 miles to get her to 25,000 miles on the odometer, and will be doing 5,000 mile intervals as well.

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
Originally Posted by Sonic
The Chevrolet dealership where my dad bought a truck last year had an advertisement similar to this. Something in the low $20's for an oil change. So he went over there and that price is for UP TO 5 quarts of conventional. His truck spec'd For 0w20 and 8 quarts was quoted as some astronomical price. He left and went to Walmart and bought Mobil 1.

My coworker just did the same thing. Bought a new Silverado a month ago and I think he said the dealer quoted $64.95 for the same oil and capacity. Off to Wally World he went.

That price is cheap for a Silverado oil change.

he said they only have bulk Honda oil (made by Mobil?) and use whatever weight is on the cap.

Nope, Honda oil has been provided by ConocoPhillips since I believe 2010. Their agreement ends this year and haven't heard what will happen yet.

Conoco Philllips Honda Fluids

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ls973800
he said they only have bulk Honda oil (made by Mobil?) and use whatever weight is on the cap.

Nope, Honda oil has been provided by ConocoPhillips since I believe 2010. Their agreement ends this year and haven't heard what will happen yet.

Conoco Philllips Honda Fluids

Hmm, did not know that. Maybe I am thinking of Toyota being Mobil?

Either way, I had no problem with the oil they used, just an example that it is easy to find out what the dealer uses.

Last two oil changes on my family's silverado I had done at the local dealer for $49.99 including a tire rotation. The price went up recently to $69.99. At that price, I'll probably do it myself next time around. It's advertised as using ACDelco dexos1 full syn. Right now they have a $15 rebate... I'll still probably just do it myself.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

We do have a drum of 5W20 conventional for used cars that is just billed as "5W20.

Thanks for that, very interesting and more detailed than the usual "cheapest bulk" that most people claim for a dealer.

Originally Posted by SR5
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

We do have a drum of 5W20 conventional for used cars that is just billed as "5W20.

Thanks for that, very interesting and more detailed than the usual "cheapest bulk" that most people claim for a dealer.

My dealer uses AC Delco and Mobil1. They said the AC Delco is blended by Mobil-Exxon. I sampled a bottle of AC Delco 5W30 Dexos Gen 2 from the dealer and their bulk AC Declo 5W30 Dexos oil. The bulk oil was 32x more contaminated by hard particulates than the bottle. Makes sense seeing it has gone through multiple tanks, 3rd party distribution/deliver and the said bulk tank has been there for 20 years. DIY changing oil or bring the oil of your choice. My dealer will be happy to use any oil brand and filter you choose.

Originally Posted by SR5
Remember, those "claims" are largely just garbage gossip or speculation. Or, false information that gets repeated, then repeated, then repeated as if it's fact once enough "different" people repeat it.

The only way to truly know what kind of oil was used is to stick your pinky in it and give it a little taste like t.v. cops did in the '80s to determine what type of drugs were being sold. If you taste synthetic and dexos, it's all good. If not, write up a harshly worded email and fire it off to the dealer via the world wide web.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by SR5
Remember, those "claims" are largely just garbage gossip or speculation. Or, false information that gets repeated, then repeated, then repeated as if it's fact once enough "different" people repeat it.

Each dealership is different. Around here the GM dealerships I have used it's AC Delco bulk and Mobil One bulk. Mopar dealerships have been Semi Synthetic Pennzoil or PP. As for Jiffy Lube once again they have switched to Prolong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back