What oil does a Chevy dealer use

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife was talking to her brother the other day he was getting his oil changed at Chevy in
His 08 Silverado for 21.99.
She asked me why do I change my own oil when you can get it done that cheap.
I told her I pay more than that but I use better oil. Plus I like to know what Is put in my truck.
Wondering what oil they use, I'm guessing all dealers may use different brands as long as they are dexos oils.
I know it's not Mobil 1 for that price.

Urban myth? Let's have a look at the invoice.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Another option would be to call them and ask them what they use rather than getting a list of random answers on Bitog.

Just an idea since unless someone knows what dealer you're talking about, not all dealers are the same.

Ya when all said and done they probley charge an oil disposal fee a shop supply fee and maybe other fees.

Better oil? If it meets specs and it's changed at proper intervals, it's all the same. Your engine won't care.

Dealers generally use bulk oil, from a tank truck, that (allegedly) meets the specs for the vehicle they're using it in-but there's been plenty of anecdotal reports of dealers putting 5W30 in everything, whether it meets specs or not. If you ask the dealer, they MIGHT tell you what they use!

I was checking Groupon for oil change specials in Miami. Many of the photos accompanying the ads showed a technician pouring a bottle of red transmission oil into a funnel. You get what you pay for.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
The Chevrolet dealership where my dad bought a truck last year had an advertisement similar to this. Something in the low $20's for an oil change. So he went over there and that price is for UP TO 5 quarts of conventional. His truck spec'd For 0w20 and 8 quarts was quoted as some astronomical price. He left and went to Walmart and bought Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by Sonic
The Chevrolet dealership where my dad bought a truck last year had an advertisement similar to this. Something in the low $20's for an oil change. So he went over there and that price is for UP TO 5 quarts of conventional. His truck spec'd For 0w20 and 8 quarts was quoted as some astronomical price. He left and went to Walmart and bought Mobil 1.

My coworker just did the same thing. Bought a new Silverado a month ago and I think he said the dealer quoted $64.95 for the same oil and capacity. Off to Wally World he went.

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
Originally Posted by Sonic

My coworker just did the same thing. Bought a new Silverado a month ago and I think he said the dealer quoted $64.95 for the same oil and capacity. Off to Wally World he went.

First one is free. He got screwed.

https://www.chevrolet.com/complete-care

Depends on which Industrial Lubricant Distributor salesman bought the Service Manager the tastiest lunch + "entertainment" last.

Might make a 1 or 2 year supply contract depending on price, etc. For ILSAC GF-5 Usually 6-15 bucks/gallon in 55gal drums depending on oil spec.

If they use a specialty oil out of individual quart containers, you will be paying premium - just like that store wine that cost 12 bucks and the chain restaurant charges $27.

Last Time I had oil changed on a 2007 V6 Chevy Silverado at a reputable Chevy Dealer - Woodworth Cheverolet in Andover, Mass -
They Used Bulk Valvoline SM " long service life" oil. Car ran great after the OC. Better than the VWB I put in next OC.

Last edited:
It depends on what the distributor for the dealer carries. GM tells dealers who to buy oil from, and there's not really any incentive to use anything but that. They will know if a dealer isn't using oil from the approved distributor.

I can't remember the name of the bulk oil we get in the tanks, but I know the Dexos is full synthetic and it's what GM wants us to use. Per GM, it gets billed under the same part numbers as AC Delco bottled quarts, they consider it equivalent.

We do have Mobil 1 and other bottled oils for oil changes that specify it.

So the bulk is generic, but dealers are not left to their own devices when sourcing it. GM says "you WILL buy this oil from this distributor, or else.". It's definitely something GM has approved. Odds are nobody at your dealer knows what brand their bulk is...the thing on the tank lets the oil company know when it needs a fill up, they handle it, and it gets billed through the oil program. The only time we even call them is when we use more of the bottled oils than expected.

By any chance, do y'all buy from Southern Distributors? That's where we buy our acdelco and motorcraft transmission fluids. We also deal with McPherson for Mobil products. "We" being the shop I work at now.

Originally Posted by WiskyBadger
It's a 08 no Dexos on that truck. He got whatever the cheapest Dino was at the last tank fill.

Our conventional is from the GM approved distributor too and is also billed under the AC Delco quart number.

It probably was cheap, but absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Some of the larger dealer networks will work with the majors which will work with the distributors to come up with the best deal and have one brand across the network of dealers.
Sonic Automotive with over 100 dealers in 13 states as an example made use of Pennzoil. Each Sonic dealer has their own unique name, so most people who buy from them don't know
they are buying from Sonic, a publicly traded company.
BTW, Sonic has several BMW dealers around the USA from Los Angeles to Fairfax, VA.

Originally Posted by Red91
By any chance, do y'all buy from Southern Distributors? That's where we buy our acdelco and motorcraft transmission fluids. We also deal with McPherson for Mobil products. "We" being the shop I work at now.

In a pinch if we're out of something, but most things we try to order through GM. Ordering through GM counts towards our "loyalty", ordering through Southern does not. Transmission fluid, coolant, and most anything other than motor oil comes directly from GM. We do get our AC Delco batteries from Southern.

McPherson is our GM approved oil distributor.

Most Chevy dealers would stock Mobil-1 as Corvettes spec that oil as
factory fill and even on the oil fill cap.
Due to limited space it's not likely they'd carry more than one synthetic oil
choice/brand/option.

My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back