What oil do Americans actual need for 3k OCI's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Plenty of decent oils have no moly it boron.

It's just a culture thing really the fuel is no worse than Chinese fuel which runs longer drains.

Got a list of those major brand oils to avoid ??
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729116

Thought the alcohol and Sulphur issue had been resolved in the US.

Surely you already know from your extensive testing? Anyhow, Moly and Boron are tools in formulating, they are not critical.

Many boron containing components aren't even borates so provide little antiwear, they have other functionality - so don't link to links as if you understand them.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Oddly Americans seem to love the Queen more than British, Anyway that's another story

No we don't give a [censored] about her. That's our neighbors to the north.

Originally Posted By: Joe90_guy
As an old oil formulator, I'm constantly amazed by posts from the US which say 'I change my oil every 3,000 miles' or 'I don't want black oil in my engine so I change it when it starts to go dark'. It makes a complete mockery of everything that the motor lubricant industry has done over the last few decades. Better base oils, higher treats of increasingly expensive additives, eye-wateringly expensive oil development and Byzantine qualification processes based on an ever expanding suite of engine and rig tests...it all counts for nothing when you routinely dump your oil at 3,000 miles!

Well, to this day we have manufacturers specifying between 3000 to 5000 mile OCIs in the severe service, at least for the US and Canadian markets. These specifications aren't based on feelings or superstitions. This continent has such a wide range of climates compared to Europe, so it makes perfect sense to have shorter OCIs in the specifications.

Short trips, no lean burn operation, or very little of it, and very cold temperatures in some areas are the things that keep the extended drain intervals, as seen in Europe, from happening. Also, we don't tax oil and fuel to the stupid levels yet.

Well Shannow I know you are correct in this assumption. Sad but true most people in the US would have no idea where the 4 corners area is located in the United States. Most don't know what the name of 1/2 the states in their own country. Much less if given a puzzle of the lower 48 where the states/pieces would go and fit together. I could do that in less than minutes time when I was 8 years old. Granted I had memorized the ENTIRE United States interstate system by that time. So I knew where all 50 states were located and all 50 state capitals. Plus how to get to all of these places. In my 10th grade year in high school I was the only one out of 120 students who knew all 50 States and capitals. I had learned the world map after 9 years old too. I watched the news with my family so I had a very good idea where places in the world already were.

Jay Leno would go out and ask people here in the US questions about US geography and history questions. I did not know that George Washington was president during the civil war. I did not know that we declared our Independence from the French. I did not know that Vermont was a separate sovereign nation. I also was unaware that we had televisions in the 1930s.

Nation of fools. Easy to lead people astray when they don't know anything about history or this country's founding documents. Ask the average American to name the members of the US Supreme Court and see how few they can actually name. I got asked this question when I was at work a month and half ago. This question was asked after I told some people I remembered all of the Super Bowl scores from first to last. I guess she thought I was part of the uninformed people who paid attention to things that didn't really matter. Well well... I named all of them with their obvious "leanings". Surprised her a good bit. Yeah I could tell you that the 13-1 1976-77 Oakland Raiders beat the Minnesota Vikings 32-14 and that the Raiders were the only 13-1 team to win the Super Bowl in a 14 game season. But I also pay attention to real issues and news as well.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I'm pretty sure that 90+% of the British could point to the US on a global map within a few seconds...not quite sure that could be reciprocated.

Well, of course...the UK has not been a major player in international affairs for 50 years, while the US has been the most dominant power in the world in that period. People all over the world are aware of the US because it is of great international significance...Botswanans are bound to know a lot more about the US than Americans do about their country. To try to posit some kind of equivalence between the US and UK at this point is, quite frankly, ridiculous.
The last thing from England made really big news in the US was probably the Charles/Di wedding...and look how that turned out. Luckily, people wised up and pretty much blew off William and Kate, except maybe to look at her nude sunbathing pics.

British Empire was superpower for 250 years. No other nation was even close in that period. After WW2 they obviously lost their dominance, but today they are part of EU. World's strongest economy.

Last edited:
I would venture to guess that there are a lot more working poor here in the USA who drive their own cars long distances to work, and in many cases those of us in better economic straights also drive older cars long distances on a regular basis. I have driven in the UK a fair bit and you just don't see anywhere the variety or the number of old cars on the road, held together with bailing wire and duct tape as you do all over the USA in daily heavy use. I suspect again that with oil relatively cheap here compared to the UK it probably isn't too bad an idea for vehicle longevity to change more frequently since the quality of the oil and filter will be rock bottom purchased from Walmart or in bulk at the quicky lube. 90% of people choose their oil change based on the lowest price and in general you get what you pay for, and even if quicky lube puts on the 3k sticker these same drivers of old beaters drive the cars 4-5k and feel like they are stretching their dollars.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I'm pretty sure that 90+% of the British could point to the US on a global map within a few seconds...not quite sure that could be reciprocated.

Well, of course...the UK has not been a major player in international affairs for 50 years, while the US has been the most dominant power in the world in that period. People all over the world are aware of the US because it is of great international significance...Botswanans are bound to know a lot more about the US than Americans do about their country. To try to posit some kind of equivalence between the US and UK at this point is, quite frankly, ridiculous.
The last thing from England made really big news in the US was probably the Charles/Di wedding...and look how that turned out. Luckily, people wised up and pretty much blew off William and Kate, except maybe to look at her nude sunbathing pics.

Wow !

'America - [censored] yeah!'

Glad to see we're still hard at it guys!
I'm sort of keeping a rough score and I think the UK/Old Empire is behind on the number of insults thrown but marginally ahead in the quality of sarcastic rebuttals.
Does anyone know how many posts on BITOG I need to qualify for the Fully Blown Diplomatic Incident badge???

The cheapest SN / GF5 oil for recommended grade they can find. Locally that's $11.44 per 5 quarts or occasionally on sale for as little as $8.00.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Nah, that's rubbish, and implies that you only know about a country because you've got one of their bases in it, or have access to news headlines.

Some places actually teach a subject called "geography", which stresses that there ARE actual countries and peoples other than your own, and encourage learning about said countries, cultures and practices.

And you get graded based on that understanding.

Correct again Shannow. I don't know if you read my earlier post. But most people in this country don't know about their own country. Much less the world at large. I knew where Kilimanjaro was when I was 9 years old. I knew where the Amazon river was at that time too. I knew where Mt Le Blanc was too at that age. Again, this country's people are clueless about their own country, much less the world at large.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I knew where the Amazon river was at that time too. I knew where Mt Le Blanc was too at that age.

That beautiful song about your good and sophisticated self just caught a hitch. Mont Blanc is the name of the Mont

I will take a bunch of American rednecks over a bunch of Sorbonne professors without hesitation.

I just shortened that Hoss...

I like people who are rednecks too. I grew up in the woods captain. I enjoy being in the woods or in a boat or in the mountains any day versus being in a city. But for goodness sake is it to much to ask of anyone to know who was President during the civil war?? Ohh and many college graduates can't name the first President. Ever watch Jay Leno's Jay walking?? Or when he asked college students questions?? Dreadful. Nothing in what I stated had anything negative to say about rednecks. Zero. People across the board in this nation are absolutely bafoons when it comes to this nation's history, geography, and the world at large. That's got zero to do with being from north, south, East or West, ideological leanings, or whether one was born and raised in the woods or in the suburbs of a large city. Now, you know the rest of the story.

Ohh and I agree with your sentiments here on average as well.

Last edited:
Back in the day when I worked at an 'Express' Lube, I would often look at the last oil change sticker in the car. What I found was 3000 mile OCIs were the exception. Most went about 5000 miles (give or take a couple hundred), regardless of the recommended miles on the sticker.

To make a blanket statement that an entire country does something based on the actions of a few is not only wrong, but stupid.

That would be like started a thread like: Why do Brits have bad teeth?

Nah, that's rubbish, and implies that you only know about a country because you've got one of their bases in it, or have access to news headlines.

Some places actually teach a subject called "geography", which stresses that there ARE actual countries and peoples other than your own, and encourage learning about said countries, cultures and practices.

And you get graded based on that understanding.

Of course, my post was a bit angrily tongue in cheek...gotta say that it really ticks me off when people go to an apparently US-hosted website using largely US-developed technology to bust on how terrible the US is and how stupid its people are. I generally don't go online to tell foreigners how ridiculous their countries are, and, unless you happen to be Japanese, German, Canadian, or Italian, I haven't even been to your country to experience what it is like at all. I doubt many of the people who are trashing the US on here have been here at all, or have visited enough to really know anything meaningful about my country.
America is a country of great extremes, wealth included. Many of our poorer citizens get really reprehensibly bad educations...many of our wealthier citizens do not take advantage of the tremendous educational opportunities available to them and end up being ignorant despite their wealth. However, I still suspect that almost all of my neighbors and coworkers could find England on a map...if we took a drive over to the other side of the tracks, maybe some of those more unfortunate folks would struggle. I would suggest that I could find plenty of communities in England, Australia, or Croatia where geography would not be an area of particular expertise...perhaps we could start with a disadvantaged aboriginal community in Australia? Jay Leno could probably make a really funny (highly edited) video of ignorance in such a place.

To sum up, I would suggest that the international posters here who have such contempt for the US should find sites hosted in their own countries in which to discuss motor oil and such. And, maybe, sod off as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back