WHAT oil consumption???

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, ok, I'll stop picking on my roller skate..

These doods, most of em, or some of em, are driving some pretty lofty wheels, not much applies to this thing.

shocked.gif
60MPH in 3rd?
shocked.gif

Reminds me of the last time I was pulled over on the bike. 65 in a 50. "But officer, I was only in second gear!"
nono.gif

Thanks, Clem!
cheers.gif

LouDawg posted 18 May, 2006 06:23
quote:

When does oil consumption become "unacceptable" (besides when it obviously runs low o.p. or worse)?

IMO that depends on you and/or the manufacturer of the car. My father owned a Renault once, bought it new, and well after break-in period it still used oil. About a liter every 3000km. So he went back to the dealership and asked about it. They stated "anthing below 1 liter every 1500 km is considered to be normal by Renault".
They did recommend to use a "specail" graphite doped oil. Figures....
rolleyes.gif

My car, a Honda S2000, uses oil. The model is known for it. Just keep checking it every weekend and add if necessary => no problem.

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
Hey Bryan!

quote:

Results may vary but I have not seen anyonme here mention the way that fuel dilution and condensation can also change the oil level.

Would the oil smell gassie from fuel dilution? Also, would it change the color or appearance? I was wondering if there was some factor like that involved, but the oil isn't smelly in anyway, and again, it won't darken. Admittedly, I don't drive the car hard (it's a Hyundai, after all), but it has been over 5K.

unless the oil is sealed from the Combustion process all oil will take up the odor of aromatics or percieved as gasoline. Aromatics bond very easily with othe hydrocarbons and are hard to shake. Sense of smell is a poor indicator and a VOC instrument is not exactly common garage equipment. Color is not any kind of indicator.

I used to drive regularly over the Smokeys at 75-80mph in my 3.0L Vulcan and 2.2L Honda, and still never had any consumption.

I just don't know if I'd feel comfortable with a 1/2 qt per xxxx miles, or whatever. Maybe that's just paranoia, but since I've never had consumption to speak of, I don't WANT it...I'd think there was something wrong, even if there isn't.

If modern engines are so much better, tighter tolerances, better materials, better design, better oils, etc., why do some stay tight and others say, "Awww, that's just normal. Just keep an eye on it, add it when necessary, and don't worry about it"? I personally don't think that's very good engineering or customer service, unless it's DESIGNED to use oil for some good reason that I can't comprehend.

Or am I just over-analyzing this thing?
dunno.gif

I agree with what Bryanccfshr said. He makes a lot of good points.

My Honda will will use 1/2qt roughly every 5k miles. Now, I do drive hard - 80mph for 80 miles a day. 4-5k rpm shifts. Considering that, I'm happy with adding 1/2qt every 5k miles. It could also be that I didn't break-in the car correctly. I varied the rpms but ran the engine for 300 miles the first weekend I had it, not allowing it to cool down all that much. I also didn't do enough WOT. All that being said, I'd like to know if their is a solid relationship between those that break-in their cars "hard" vs "easy" and whether each has any oil consumption issues.

Also, some engines by design will use oil. It's also been stated by engineers that adding some oil is a good thing and engines that use some amount of oil last longer. Something to think about.

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
I like that -- a mental condition that causes oil consumption.
offtopic.gif

No ..read..

quote:

I used to worry about my Saturn consuming oil. It started around 50,000 miles. But, 230,000 miles later, I'm learning to relax.

Having it be an issue is the "mental condition" ..the consumption is the consumption. Letting it effect you is the problem
grin.gif

I used to worry about my Saturn consuming oil. It started around 50,000 miles. But, 230,000 miles later, I'm learning to relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back