What % of Amsoil and other synthetic oil users...

Messages
3,023
Location
USA-Michigan
I use it for all the reasons stateD, longer drains, better protection, etc, etc. But I would gladly use it even if it were for only 3,000 miles. I have an 1993 Lumina that a realtive driveS mostly,that car rarely see's more than 2,000 miles annually. I use it in that car. I have a good track record with Amsoil, since I first put it in a 1977 Monte Carlo around Jan. of 1978. I was working all over on a survey crew for the gov't. I never had the time nor the patience to change my oil every 2 weeks, so when I saw the story in Popular Science entitled The big debate over Synthetic Oil" in 1976 about the long drain synthetic's, I went looking for them. Found Mobil 1 and EON, used Mobil 1 untill I found Amsoil on the shelf of a local gas station in a town where we were working. Had them put it in my car and went on to travel over 25,000+ miles on that oil. I traveled all over the US and never changed oil for almost a year, nor did my fellow workers. That car never had one problem and was one of the best cars I ever had. From that point forward, there was nothing else worth considering IMO. I became a dealer in 1978 so I and my fellow Survey Tech's had access to the oil. I still have a copy of the 1976 Popular Science magazine story, its 12 pages long and coprwrited or I would post it on my web site.  -  - [ February 01, 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]
 
Messages
3,073
Location
moutain country
i use synthetic delvac 1 in my expedition and interceptor only because it keeps the engine clean and free of wear. i still change my oil and filter at 1500 miles and i realize thats a overkill but i always have done this since i was a teen i donot allow any dark oil in the vehicles
 
Messages
33,973
Location
Southern NJ
I like that Popular Science edition! I'm glad I'm not the only one then who uses synthetic oil and doesn't primarily use it for extended drains. I use Amsoil and have used M1 and never went over 10K miles. I know it's overkill to change it sooner, but all the other benefits are worth it IMO. I am starting to 10K now before changes. I'll have my first analysis soon at 8k miles. I'm mainly concerend with engine wear and cleaning abilities.
 
Messages
18
Location
Saint George, SC
I've been using synthetic oil for 10 years now. I just recently started extending my drain intervals with Amsoil. I use synthetic oil for all of the above mentioned benefits.
 
Messages
143
Location
San Antonio
I've enjoyed the many benefits of synthetics for over 10 years as well, but won't go beyond normal drain intervals with any other oil. To 'borrow' a recent USAF slogan... "AMSOIL - No one comes close".
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
quote:
Originally posted by Andy H: I've enjoyed the many benefits of synthetics for over 10 years as well, but won't go beyond normal drain intervals with any other oil. To 'borrow' a recent USAF slogan... "AMSOIL - No one comes close".
Comes close to what? Goofball marketing and flagrant disinformation? Yeah, I guess you're right. No one does come close. [Big Grin]
 
Messages
33,973
Location
Southern NJ
G-Man II, I know your a big Mobil guy, but you can't deny Amsoil is great oil. Yes there marketing is bad and yes 25k miles is only good if your doing this within 1yr (and even then I would be skeptical), but it simply is Mobil + Lubrizol=Amsoil. [Big Grin]
 

mdv

Messages
531
Location
MA
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man II:
quote:
Originally posted by Andy H: I've enjoyed the many benefits of synthetics for over 10 years as well, but won't go beyond normal drain intervals with any other oil. To 'borrow' a recent USAF slogan... "AMSOIL - No one comes close".
Comes close to what? Goofball marketing and flagrant disinformation? Yeah, I guess you're right. No one does come close. [Big Grin]

Castrol is so much better [Roll Eyes] Even Exxon-Mobil has issues. I don't know if it's still there but that whole 10W-30 for higher mileage, 5W-30 for newer cars, 0W-30 for European cars and 15W-50 for "performance" cars was pure BS.
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
quote:
Originally posted by buster: G-Man II, I know your a big Mobil guy, but you can't deny Amsoil is great oil. Yes there marketing is bad and yes 25k miles is only good if your doing this within 1yr (and even then I would be skeptical), but it simply is Mobil + Lubrizol=Amsoil. [Big Grin]
Well, I could deny that Amsoil is a great oil, but I won't. [Wink] But seriously, nothing I've seen in the UOAs of Amsoil posted to this forum would lead me to believe that Amsoil is any better than some other synthetics. And I've certainly not seen anything that would warrant paying the much higher price for Amsoil versus Mobil 1.
 
Messages
33,973
Location
Southern NJ
Oh boy, here we go again. Just kidding. I pay less for Amsoil then Mobil 1 through there pref. customer account. Did you ever read the Amsoil vs Mobil 1 thread? I like both oils and think they are the two best but won't say one is much better then the other. I think Amsoil is better at maintaining its weight (which is one reason why I stayed with it) and it cleans better due to higher esters. Other then that, they are too close to call. [Smile]
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
quote:
Originally posted by dkcase:
quote:
G-Man II, I know your a big Mobil guy,
Geez. I thought he was a big Shell guy. That's what he was accused of before...

Yeah, I had to laugh at that. If you happen to post good things on here about a certain oil you get accused of being in league with the company that made it. [Roll Eyes]
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
quote:
Originally posted by buster: Oh boy, here we go again. Just kidding. I pay less for Amsoil then Mobil 1 through there pref. customer account. Did you ever read the Amsoil vs Mobil 1 thread? I like both oils and think they are the two best but won't say one is much better then the other. I think Amsoil is better at maintaining its weight (which is one reason why I stayed with it) and it cleans better due to higher esters. Other then that, they are too close to call. [Smile]
What about the two latest Amsoil UOAs which show the oil thickening out of grade in 16,000 miles? (I personally don't think this is the oil's fault. It's Amsoil's fault and their stupid 25,000 mile marketing.)
 

mdv

Messages
531
Location
MA
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man II: What about the two latest Amsoil UOAs which show the oil thickening out of grade in 16,000 miles? (I personally don't think this is the oil's fault. It's Amsoil's fault and their stupid 25,000 mile marketing.)
Like I mentioned in those posts, that could have been the first interval with Amsoil and the results could improve the next time around, making 25k more reasonable. I've yet to see any other synthetics that are capable of holding up that well over those intervals.
 
Messages
33,973
Location
Southern NJ
actually only use synthetic for it's longer drain capabilities? Just curious to see if others use it for it's other qualities such as cleaning abilities, extreme temperature performance and engine wear. I mention Amsoil separately bc I personally don't use Amsoil over 12k miles. I like the fact that sythetics can go longer, but my main reason for using them is to keep my engine clean and have less engine wear. It seems to me that Amsoil users would be more interested in extending the drains more then anything due to how the product is marketed. However, in my case it's more for the other qualities. [Smile] [ February 01, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: buster ]
 
Messages
658
Location
EU
I enjoy changing my own oil and am not interested in seeing how far I can push the interval. It's not about endurance testing, for me. The other attributes that you mentioned regarding synthetics are what are attractive to me. Extended intervals are at the bottom of the list. Good question. Thanks for asking.
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,988
Location
Oakville, Ontario
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man II: Yeah, I had to laugh at that. If you happen to post good things on here about a certain oil you get accused of being in league with the company that made it. [Roll Eyes]
Then I guess I could be accused of working for Schaeffer, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, Pennzoil, Castrol and many more, since I have mentioned using or wanting to use all of these oils! [Smile] I like to try out new stuff myself, it's interesting now that I've gotten hooked on oil analysis. So many oils, so little time to test them all! [Big Grin]
 
Messages
33,973
Location
Southern NJ
I think all of the top brands are great and have there strengths and weaknesses. Amsoil could go 25k if it's in 1yrs time. I even think Mobil 1 could to. I've ripped Amsoil and Mobil on this board before. I'm not partial to any one brand. I use whats best for me in my situation. [Smile]
 
Top