what mileage point is an Engine fully broken in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Tboss
I have a trip this weekend to New York it's 950 miles one way And it's all highway

OK, so drive it exactly 60 miles (105,600 yards) more, varying the speed as prescribed until the odometer rolls to 1000.0, then immediately turn the cruise on. Love it lol
cool.gif
cool.gif

Do not exceed an odometer reading of 1000.0 miles with the cruise off, or you will have pushed on the gas pedal with your foot for longer than you feel is necessary.
So I should be all set

Last edited:
So I should be all set

Why are you even asking in here? All you're looking for is confirmation for what you're going to do anyway.

You could have received answers ranging from "Yes" to "No" to "Cool Whip", and it would have made no difference in your decision.

Drive it hard! Piston rings seat with pressure. 1000 miles is plenty.

However, our F150 Ecoboost's MPG did continue to increase all the way to 25,000 miles. Other owners report similar. May have nothing to do with the engine and everything to do with associated drag from other friction sources, such as 4x4 systems, transfer case, differentials, tire wear, etc.

Dodge Ram Cummins diesel owners report similar MPG increases over time and miles. They generally say MPG peaks around 40-50,000.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Tboss said:
So I should be all set

Why are you even asking in here? All you're looking for is confirmation for what you're going to do anyway. That's right I'm asking for opinions When You only have one car you must go to work And my work is taking me to New York So you're telling me to Rent-A-Car in other words ????

first 20 miles, but to me a car isnt fully broken in yet until you see its highest mpg potential. That was at 7k on my 06 tsx where it got around 35mpg

as someone who rebuilds many engines for a living during break in drive it normally and after 200 or so miles wide open throttles from 30-60 from time to time is very good for the rings.. I go to many seminars from the engine manufactures and they all say they run the new engines very hard before the public ever sees them

The rings will seal just fine if you just drive it normally.
Being on cruise control is OK too. Note that cruise control varies the LOAD, which is good.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
as someone who rebuilds many engines for a living during break in drive it normally and after 200 or so miles wide open throttles from 30-60 from time to time is very good for the rings.. I go to many seminars from the engine manufactures and they all say they run the new engines very hard before the public ever sees them

Across over 40 years of various cars I have proved to myself that a hard break in improves power, reduces oil consumption, etc. There's nothing to gain by being easy on it, just get into a higher gear and GET ON IT!

Wear metals usually stabilize at ~ 8-12,000 miles on my vehicles based on UOAs. In addition; there is a step function ~3,000 miles suggesting that 95% of wear-in has occurred before that mileage.

What does your owner's manual say? My last new vehicle(98 chevy truck)had the break in procedure in the owner's manual. I believe it said to vary the speed, do not tow, and maybe something else for the first, I believe, 500 miles. At the mileage you are at now, I wouldn't worry about it. Just drive it.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
What does your owner's manual say? My last new vehicle(98 chevy truck)had the break in procedure in the owner's manual. I believe it said to vary the speed, do not tow, and maybe something else for the first, I believe, 500 miles. At the mileage you are at now, I wouldn't worry about it. Just drive it.

Wayne
Up to 1000 miles

Why can't you vary your speed on the highway? Are you that eager to use the cruise control? When I was your age ....

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Why can't you vary your speed on the highway? Are you that eager to use the cruise control? When I was your age ....
I guess I could till i hit 1000 miles It's just Those little speed traps I was worried about

Originally Posted By: hypervish

Don't speed in Virginia, cops are not lenient there with regards to speeding. But hammer down elsewhere!

Ummm I dunno where you got stopped, but in last 20 years I've never been stopped for less than 14-15mph over('94 & '01) on the highway... No stops since '01 and am usually 8-10 mph over...

Maybe the Troopers aren't as lenient with out of towners...

As far as break in, 750 miles in town will equal more than double that on the highway, at 940mi I wouldn't worry about it(of course I'll hammer down from the first time I set in the car)....

Make sure you do not travel between Fredericksburg, VA and Baltimore anywhere near rush hour. Literally the worst traffic in the nation, it is especially bad from 6AM-10AM. One wreck and you will be sitting for 2 to 4 hours.

Thanks For the info I'm I'm through that already I'm at one of my cousins place at the double T diner In Maryland

Thanks For the info I'm I'm through that already I'm at one of my cousins place at the double T diner In Maryland

You are good to go at 900+

Anything that you could've done to help seat the rings is already past.The first 50mi..yeah there was a process years ago,but with low tension rings and coatings used today???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back