What maintenance task next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 01 Town&Country van needs to last us several more years. She only puts about 10K miles per year on it, we got it 5 years ago when it only had 30K-it now has 80K.

In the past few months I have changed the plugs, Changed the AT fluid by dropping the pan and then changing the AT filter. CHanged the Pcv valve, flushed the cooling system and replaced with Zerex g05.

I have always treated her to 4K mile OCI - sometimes Castrol GTX 5w30, sometimes Valvoline Synpower 5w30.

My question is, what would YOU do next to ensure that she is running 5 years from now? I am good but not great with mechanical things so keep it realistic.

Sounds due for spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter (if serviceable).

Fuel filter will strand you beside the road if it's serviceable and isn't changed. You don't want to get that phone call from your wife. If you can do what you have already done, you can change a serviceable fuel filter.

Check your CV boots for cracks and replace those if they've failed before you have to buy new CV joints.

Timing belt?

Check brake pad thickness all around and replace pads/turn rotors if necessary.

O2 Sensor(s) will be due before long. I usually wait for a check engine light on those.

All I can think of for now.

Check the Throttle body to make sure it's nice & clean. If it's not, use a soft bristle tooth brush and some carb cleaner to scrub it.

Get some BG44k, Chemtool, or something like it and put it in the gas tank. Run through a tank or two of gas & then replace the fuel filter.

Since I didn't see it mentioned. Check the air filter.

Thanks guys, This car does not have grease zerks. The brakes are inspected with the state inspection and just passed in May. I have been good at changing the air filter every 15K. I actually just used the turkey baster to drain the PS fluid and refilled. It has a bottle of Regane high mileage fuel treatment in the tank right now. It does not have a cabin air filter. I'm not about to repack the wheel bearings (way too hard) but if others think this is necessary also then I'll take it to a garage to have it done. I've had a fuel filter since last fall, just run out of time every weekend (I have to lower the fuel tank to replace but it doesn't look too bad).

Thanks for the suggestions-especially on the CV boots, I'll get under the van tomorrow.

Does this van have a timing belt or chain? it's a 3.3L flex fuel 2001 town & country.

And I just cleaned the throttle body since when we got the new AC Compressor last summer the dealership failed to properly secure the hose from the air filter box to the throttle body and there was a small gap that I'm sure plenty of bad air got into....Just found that when I was changing spark plugs last week

Any other suggestions or will checking the CV boots and changing the fuel filter suffice? I'm guessing I should bleed the brakes as well.

A pan drop is better than nothing, But I would suggest a DIY cooler line flush for the trans with some kind of added filtration. I would then perform a similar task on the power steering ( with it turned off, wheels off the ground). A big yes on bleeding the brakes. I do mine every two years. Most never do.

I think thats about it. You are already way ahead of the majority of people in this country!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut

Does this van have a timing belt or chain? it's a 3.3L flex fuel 2001 town & country.

Chain. No need to replace.

Sounds like you are doing pretty well to me. The wheels are all sealed bearings, front and backs.
I like to flush the trans fluid myself, but as longs as you do pan drops regularly you are OK.

Flush the brake fluid and power steering fluid.
You can do a number of PS fluid turkey baster changes, but the brakes are best bled properly. Even a gravity one man bleed is decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back