What lyric from a song have you misconstrued for a decade or longer?

Nickelback rockstar.
I thought it said Todays zoom zoom.
But it is Today's who's who.

Screenshot_20230529-202915_Firefox.jpg

Does anybody here understand any of the words in any of the songs sung by Michael " Mumbles" McDonald (Doobie Brothers Ver. 2.0)?

Until I read the sheet music, I had no idea Elton was actually singing: We'll kill the fatted calf tonight so stick around ...
That actual lyric reads like a misheard lyric !
That term is from the Bible. A "fatted calf" was a farmer's best livestock, often fed more, that he would keep to eat as a feast for family and friends on a special occasion. The lyric makes perfect sense.

From the Dean Martin song, "Sway With Me", I would hear

"Other dancers may be on the floor" as

Other dancers may pee on the floor.

Made me go on the dance floor with galoshes.

From the Dean Martin song, "Sway With Me", I would hear

"Other dancers may be on the floor" as

Other dancers may pee on the floor.

Made me go on the dance floor with galoshes.
I was not familiar with this song, and had to listen to it; you have spoken truth.

I read about misheard lyrics to Elton John’s “Saturday night’s alright for fighting”, and to this day the misheard lyric is what I hear when it’s played.

The actual lyrics- Don’t give us none of your aggravation
We’ve had it with your discipline

What it actually sounds like- Don’t give us none of your aggravation
We’ve had it with your DEATH STAR PLAN.

That term is from the Bible. A "fatted calf" was a farmer's best livestock, often fed more, that he would keep to eat as a feast for family and friends on a special occasion. The lyric makes perfect sense.
I know what a fatted calf is. Odd to hear it in a rock lyric about going to a rock concert.

That's not in spoken cloquial anywhere I have been in almost 70 years. I am sticking with Obscure and out of place.

"Borderline! Love isn't always on time! Whoa-whoa-whoa.
Borderline"....
Toto

"Under the mistletoe (is where I drew some blood)
Under the mistletoe (I could not get enough)"
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Years ago there was a song "Hiawatha's Melody." My grandmother loved that song. One day my grandpa said that was crazy. Why would they name a song "How I Want to Smell of Thee."

Thought it was . 😊

Are you reelin' in the yeast ?
Stowin' away the time ?
Are you gatherin' up the tees ?
Have you had enough of mine ?

Last edited:
Back