What lyric from a song have you misconstrued for a decade or longer?

1685047016634.jpg

Probably Duran Duran and Hungry Like the Wolf. It's not so much that I necessarily got all the lyrics wrong but often I had no idea what they were other maybe some sort of gibberish. But at least I thought it was the following:

Straddle the line in disco and wine

Elton Johns “Benny and the jets” …I can’t understand the words for almost the entire song !
My English prof would write notes all over a report if I use such "obscure" phrases. He even gave me grief for using "one-two punch to the gut" when reporting about a war novel. Obscure to him, maybe.

Indeed, Bernie Taupin had some bizarre lyrics over the years.
Until I read the sheet music, I had no idea Elton was actually singing: We'll kill the fatted calf tonight so stick around ...
That actual lyric reads like a misheard lyric !

Misheard Lyrics:
It's not fair to deny me
Of the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me
Original Lyrics:
It's not fair to deny me
Of the cross I bear that you gave to me

You oughta know - Alanis Morrisette

I thought Stipe was singing, "Call me in, Call me in, Call me in to talk", not the French (foiled again!) Combien de temps
from R.E.M. superlative Talk About the Passion

From Adele's 'Send My Love (To Your New Lover)'.

We've gotta let go of all of our clothes.
I hear that one too! There's another song where I think she's saying something about her lunch.

Also,
"I don't know, but I've been told
a beetle-headed woman ain't got no soul."

from Elton Johns best song - Someone Saved my Life Tonight - I never really new the lyric, I though he was saying: Trina Donna Lott you should have really been there, not the actual, ' Prima donna, lord, you should have really been there ... '

I saying to myself, "what kinda name is Trina Donna Lott - who is this chick?!"
Agreed, that was one of his best. From the Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy album?

In Nirvana's "Come as you are", The word Memoria is repeated several times. I thought Kurt Cobain was singing a woman's name: Ann Maria.

Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bad Moon Rising.

First heard this song as a kid, on a radio with terrible distortion. In my mind I pictured a concert outdoors, people drinking a lot, and they're singing

"Don't go around tonight
Well it's bound to take your life
There's a bathroom on the right."

I Just watching a 80s retrospective last night, and I was reminded that I always misheard the Go-Go's hit - I thought they were singing " Honest Cecile

Back