What lube for pressing bushings into control arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ms21043,

Is that ruglyde the new stuff tire shops use? Back in the late nineties, I forget exactly, but at high school vo tech I recall seeing some dish soap or some sticky glue in a battery brush-like conical wire brush with a mop (a mop like sponge like used to clean the bores of guns).

There's a 0.000001% chance that the OP will take my advice, but I'm gonna recommend Dow Corning 111 incase somebody else is listening.

The dish soap was fine. Many seem to have missed the part where it's not supposed to be a rotating joint, and precludes a persistent lube.

The front control arms on some older BMWs had similar joints, except they had direct rubber to metal contact.

At one time, the factory recommended a kerosene-based lubricant that dried out in about half an hour, allowing enough time to lower the car to the ground and put the suspension in proper position without any preload.

But in lieu of that, most people just used dish soap.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
ms21043,

Is that ruglyde the new stuff tire shops use? Back in the late nineties, I forget exactly, but at high school vo tech I recall seeing some dish soap or some sticky glue in a battery brush-like conical wire brush with a mop (a mop like sponge like used to clean the bores of guns).

This is the stuff your talking about. They have a paste now for use with wheels with TPMS.

http://www.amazon.com/AGS-RG18-Gal-Rugly...mount+lubricant

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: expat
I used KY jelly.

I admit, I felt the need to tell the lady at the check-out it was for the suspension on my car

I'm sure she's heard that one before.

Hopefully you didn't mention it was for a control arm. She might have called the police haha

Originally Posted By: expat
I used KY jelly.

I admit, I felt the need to tell the lady at the check-out it was for the suspension on my car

Maybe you should have asked her if there was more resistance pushing it in from the front or would going around back be better?
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back