What Linux Distros do you use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I installed Ubuntu MATE last night on my little netbook. Looks like a sold distro that I want to use some more.

Gnome 2 was my first desktop which is what MATE was forked from when Gnome 3 came out. It is a solid and reasonably light DE.

I got a Gateway Netbook for $50 for my kid's homework, cleaned Windows 7 starter (total [censored]) off it and put Peppermint OS on it. If you disable the desktop effects it really flies on the limited processor and ram.

For me I use Mint 17.2 and less often Chalet OS. I like the Mate DM. I've tried Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Peppermint, Watt, Linuxlite, PClinuxOS and Bodhi. I got started with Ubuntu 8.10.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Sadly, the most common is also the most expensive, Apple/Mac OSX
banana2.gif
Trolling.gif

Same here. On El ... whatever it is now. I've tinkered with a few other OS's but Mac overall works the best for me. Add virtual box with Windows 7 for my class requirements nothing else is needed.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Sadly, the most common is also the most expensive, Apple/Mac OSX
banana2.gif
Trolling.gif

Same here. On El ... whatever it is now. I've tinkered with a few other OS's but Mac overall works the best for me. Add virtual box with Windows 7 for my class requirements nothing else is needed.

OS X is not Linux based at all, so you are not using a Linux Distro

One could argue it is BSD based (parts of it are derived from BSD) but that is different than Linux. The most common would be Android and Chrome OS...both use the Linux kernel.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
This is just for fun so try not to turn it into a flame war.

For those who use Linux on a regular basis I am just running a little poll.

1. What distro do you use for your main computer?

Fedora, however I can't right now as the newer kernels have an issue with my mobo. On the servers I manage they all run RHEL including my home NAS.

2. What desktop environment do you prefer?

Xfce followed by KDE.

3. If you distro hop, what other distros have you installed in the past?[/img]

All the majors. Redhat (before it became Fedora), Fedora, CentOS, Gentoo, Debian, Slackware, Ubuntu, SUSE...etc.

BikeWhisperer said:
4. What was your gateway distro?

Slackware, the original version (early 90's here), on a PILE of CD's on my 486SX/25

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
On the servers I manage they all run RHEL including my home NAS.

Isn't RHEL on a home NAS a little overkill? (No pun intended!) Something wrong with CentOS for that application?

Ubuntu is what I use in my not too old desktops and laptops. Although I used Lubuntu 14.04 recently for a 6 yr old desktop and a 4 year old Toshiba Satellite C850 laptop. Lubuntu's hardware requirements are quite modest and recommended for older machines.

Then there was this friend's request to fix his 10 year old Acer laptop that wouldn't boot. I got his precious family files and pictures off it by putting his hdd in an external enclosure and onto my Macbook, then returning the drive into the machine and using my Lubuntu 14.04 DVD. The laptop was so old the Lubuntu refused to boot it. I finally found my old Ubuntu 10.04 cdr installer and it installed without further problem.

Originally Posted By: berniedd

Then there was this friend's request to fix his 10 year old Acer laptop that wouldn't boot. I got his precious family files and pictures off it by putting his hdd in an external enclosure and onto my Macbook, then returning the drive into the machine and using my Lubuntu 14.04 DVD. The laptop was so old the Lubuntu refused to boot it. I finally found my old Ubuntu 10.04 cdr installer and it installed without further problem.

I've found this to be an issue on some older computers, not because the processor or ram is not sufficient but because the hardware is no longer supported by the Linux Kernel.

I have a copy of Linux Mint 7 on a CD (when it fit on a CD) for this very reason.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
On the servers I manage they all run RHEL including my home NAS.

Isn't RHEL on a home NAS a little overkill? (No pun intended!) Something wrong with CentOS for that application?

Naw, just consistency, LOL!

Originally Posted By: berniedd
I finally found my old Ubuntu 10.04 cdr installer and it installed without further problem.

10.04 was a thing of beauty. Sadly, it hit EOL (End Of Life) this year and one should be wary of using it for everyday tasks as it will no longer be receiving updates.

If you need an older kernel that will be supported until the next ice age, I suggest taking a look at CentOS. They're a Red Hat (who support their releases for 10 years, as I recall. Ten. Years.) clone and their releases get support for ridiculous periods of time. (Again: Ten. Years.) Version 5, which may well have a 2.6.x kernel, is still supported out to 2017: https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-fe8a0be91ee3e7dea812e8694491e1dde5b75e6d

Started off with Slackware then after a year moved to Vector Linux SOHO for 5 years and been using Sabayon Linux for 8 years.

Firewall: PFsense
NAS: FreeNAS

Love Gui based Gentoo and Slackware don't like RPMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back