What do you keep in your car?

My pet Boa, and an occasional fresh rabbit.

Ice scraper, kleenex, packets of ketchup, and a set of jumper cables in the old van.

Wow, some of you guys are toting a lot of stuff.

So did I, but I found I never needed any of it, so I just quit.

Now, I just carry whatever each car came with, and I have a small tote bag that I keep a handheld ham radio and all its paraphenalia in, as well as a charger cord and cable for the cell phone to plug it in to the audio system, that I carry from car to car.

Each car gets a windshield sun screen, package of hand wipes and a good flashlight with spare batteries in the glovebox, and each trunk has a can of fix a flat, a small case with a firearm, couple of mags, and a few hundred dollars emergency cash, and coats for my wife and I. In the Solstice, that pretty much fills the trunk.

OnStar has GPS, cell phone, bluetooth connectivity, roadside assistance, blah, so that really cuts down on the stuff that needs to be carried in a modern car.

In the Winter I keep a emergency kit in all the cars on the road. A blanket, a coffee can and candle, a couple of flares and some dry food items. Oh yeah, and a small shovel and a bag of sand or kitty litter.

In the Summer I carry very little, no tools to work on a car, thats what AAA is for. Like someone else said, working on a car on the side of the road is a death trap, never do it.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Originally Posted By: heypete
- A few printed copies of the form from here.

I will be printing out many copies of form # 1.
Originally Posted By: willix
1 roll of Duct tape, several 18" nylon tie straps, 1 axe, 1 spade shovel, postage stamps. 8-track tape of Frank Yankovic "greatest hits"

Mcguyver of the year award right there!

LoL getting rid of a body??

Center console:

-CD Case
-Multi-tool
-One of those air activated 12 hour heating pads

Glove Compartment

-Owners Manual
-Service Records
-Insurance Card/Registration
-Mini LED Maglite
-Napkins

Wedged between passenger seat and center console

-US Road Map

Trunk
-Spare tire/jack
-Jumper Cables
-Emergency Triangles, flares
-Small tool kit with the basics. (4 screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, 3/8 ratchet and 9 sockets, adjustable wrench)
-Blanket
-Extra Sweater
-2 Bottles of water
-Couple energy bars
-3 cell LED maglite
-OBD II Scanner

Backseat

-Ice Scraper
-

I have a 12 x12x4" box that is full of wrenches and assorted tools. Including a 1/4" metric socket set. a set of jumper cables. A baggy with a few fuses and relays in it. Spare tire and tools. Vital fluids. When I take a road trip I have a poly tub loaded with all sorts of spares, hoses belts, and stuff for my 22yr old furren car.

Ha! I can't remember half the stuff, and the funny thing is I've used almost all of this stuff within the last two months, and definitely within the last six. Heck, I've used half of it this week!

Cabin: Maps for everywhere from Florida to Maine
Three ice scrapers of different sorts
A road atlas
An atlas of all the USGS maps of the state
A microfiber cloth for cleaning glass
A few pairs of sunglasses
Usual registration, insurance, car receipts
Notepads
Pens and pencils
A couple of flashlights
A multi tool
Some paper towels
Some moist towlettes

Trunk (scraping the surface):
100 lbs of chain in a trash can (winter traction for Grand Marquis)
Hatchet
Full tool box for most repairs
Two quarts oil
Gallon antifreeze washer fluid
WD40
2-stroke oil for UCL
Duct Tape
Rain X
Car jack and extra tire iron
Roadside emergency kit with flares, first aid, etc.
Sneakers
Various hats
Hunter orange hats for walking in woods
Spare wool socks
Several pairs of warm leather gloves
Insulated work coveralls
Fleece lined jacket
Old newspapers (for roadside repairs)
Plastic bags (for trash)
Paper Towels
Kleenex
Snowshoes and walking poles
Ice treads for under tires
Small aluminum shovel
Lots of rope and tie down straps
(Usually have roof racks in trunk too)
Spare oil filter
Spare air filter
Frisbee
Doggy treats
Raincoat
Umbrella
Who knows what's under the pile?

Last edited:
I should have added that I drive a lot in the Adirondacks, and a lot of the time I'm out of cell phone contact. You might go an hour without seeing another car on a cold winter night in some areas. You break down in some of these places and you're on your own, and it might be 20 below zero. A couple of years ago a couple from Brooklyn drove off a very main road in the middle of the winter. They were found dead a few days later complete with their non-usable cell phones.

BACK SEAT:
Tool bag with jumper cables, duct tape, coat hangers, baling wire, pliers, channel locks, adjustable wrenches, rags.
Air compressor that plugs into the cigarette socket with auxiliary spotlight & flashers.
Emergency survival bag: preserved food & water, blanket, first aid, etc.
A couple towels... they come in handy more than I will admit, if you know what I mean.

JUMPER STORAGE:
tie-down strap, nylon rope 25 feet, spare accessory drive belt, road flares

GLOVE BOX:
fuses, flashlight, tire pressure gauge

SUPER SECRET LOCATION, SHHHHH:
spare key

Phone charger, flashlight, windshield sunshade, a few small microfiber rags, and a stack of fast food napkins.

I did buy a quart of oil and carry it with me when I drove the Mustang home from Colorado....but it's now sitting on the garage floor.

Malibu, DB Power portable jump starter, paper towels, and AAA card.
Regal, DB Power portable jump starter, paper towels, and AAA card.
Silverado, tool pouch with various tools, paper towels, and AAA card.

Not sure why an 11 year old thread was resurrected but reading it is almost like opening a time capsule. The OP was talking about carrying maps around in his car. How quaint! I’m sure he donated them to a museum long ago.
I still have a pile of old AAA maps. Not sure why I don't throw them out. At least now you don't have to buy a road atlas every few years. I remember you used to be able to buy them in the local convenience store.

Axe, knife, flashlight, a few guns, tools, a/c and serpentine belt, spare pulleys, spare plug wire, jumper cables, tow rope, tie down straps, air pump,, tire plugs may have overlooked some things.

Back