What Kind of Car Did You Learn Stick Shift On?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First "stick" was a rider lawnmower in 1976 when I begged my aunt to mow her lawn at age nine. Don't remember the make and model of course. I knew you had to use the clutch to shift and start, but it took a few times to figure out that you had to clutch and brake to stop as well. That same day while still mowing in gear, I just braked to "stop" for a sapling. Of course, I slowed down, but I bent the sapling to the ground.

At 13, I "graduated" again at my aunt's farm to a tractor at age 13 in 1980 to an IH McCormack Farmall M with four slow speeds and a road gear. My first couple of times, I of course popped the clutch and performed a wheely. A good lesson about the "friction point".

First car was a 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook at 14 in 1981 with a flat head six and a tree three transmission. The muffler was toasted and the old flathead had a quite unique sound.

Ah, the memories.
laugh.gif

1985 S10 Chevy Ext cab with the 2.8 , my brother stuck me out in the middle of a 13 acre plot and said "figure it out".

1950's vintage Ford 8N, when I was about 12.

But my 1973 Yamaha DT125, bought the same year, helped me master the clutch/throttle timing.

So, when I got to my first street car, a 1976 Peugeot 504 Diesel, the manual wasn't the challenge and I could focus on the rest of learning to drive on the road. Took my license test in that car in 1979. The examiner said something along the lines of, "diesel and a manual, too, eh, kid? You're brave..."

My first manual transmission would have either been a dirt bike or tractor, both many years before driving. The car I learned to drive a stick on was a Porsche 911 Targa Carrera in the mid-eighties. It was a difficult car to drive, with a heavy clutch, light flywheel, and a very off/on powerband. The owner had head work done and a lighter than stock flywheel, so it was worse than a normal 911. The ignition key also had to be turned off before you could restart if you stalled it. No pressure.

That car seemed so fast. I'm pretty sure a modern Camry V6 with sticky tires would probably outrun it.

I started thinking about it, and the first might have been playing Pole Position, which was licensed to Atari by Namco. Most were stand-up units, but even the sit down versions didn't have a clutch pedal.

POLE2CPT.jpg

A 96 Acura Integra. I remember learning how to launch then smooth out my driving was hilarious the first time. I was also extremely nervous.

Not much choice for me, everything I drove when learning was manual. My first car was a Morris Minor, an auto one of those would be rare. I can't remember when I drove my first auto, but it would've been a strange experience. I didn't own an auto until I was in my 40's...a MkIII Cortina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back