What Kind of Car Did You Learn Stick Shift On?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I stated above, my "learning car" was a Datsun 310.

The first stick shift I actually drove every day was a friend's 5.0 Mustang GT. His parents gave it to him but he didn't have his license yet so I used to walk over and drive us to school. What a cool car to drive as a barely 16 yr old.

I pulled up next to some girls at a light in it one time. One looked over and smiled. I got nervous and accidentally started in 3rd instead of 1st. I didn't kill it but to avoid total embarassment (young and dumb), I slipped the clutch in 3rd with the gas to the floor holding the rpms at only 1,800 to make it sound like I was taking off normally. It took a week to get the burning clutch smell out of the car.

Gen 1 Proton Saga 1.3
LOL.gif

(that was back in Singapore)

Proton Saga

800px-Proton_Saga_%28saloon%29_%28manual%29_%28first_generation%2C_first_facelift%29_%28front%29%2C_Kuala_Lumpur.jpg

Last edited:
I learned to drive stick in a 1974 Ford F-100 with a 390 and a three on the tree.

That truck could easily smoke 'em in all three gears.

'65 Chevelle, 230 I-6, Three on the tree. (Did my drivers ed in a '70 Cutlass automatic.) Then it was on to Dad's Chevelle. Non-synchronized first, so I learned how to roll stop signs at three mph (a St. Louis tradition) and slip the clutch in second gear, just like Dad. Everyone else I knew rolled stop signs too (unless a cop was present) just because. Like I said, a St. Louis tradition. Every vehicle I've owned, with the exception of a used '64 Impala, has been stick, and my wife prefers stick shift also. Ain't love grand!

2004 Mystichrome Ford Cobra with a Kenne Bell supercharger. i helped the owner install a new heat exchanger and he said that instead of paying me he would teach me stick on it. the car had about 600rwhp at the time.

1977 Chevy Vega Wagon. That was about 1977 that I learned, can't remember if it was a 3 or 4 speed?
It was when oil came in cans and a spout was pierced into the top metal part of the can. The good ole days. You had to work at getting the oil out of the container.....
happy2.gif

1968 VW Bug, learned on the way home after having the 4 speed installed. When I bought the car it had a 3 speed auto, that didn't last long so in went the 4 speed.

My first car was a 1954 Morris Minor.It was many years before I drove an auto,they were pretty rare in NZ until recent years.

1990 Chevy S-10 2.5 Iron Duke. It was my first vehicle...only had 2 options- 20 gallon tank and rally wheels. Didn't even come with a radio. Paid $8,000 even. It was a great little truck and many times I wished I would have kept it.

1st I drove was a '78 mustang II V6 4 speed. didn't get good on that though. my 1st car was a '65 malibu w/ a 283 that we put a muncie M-21 in after the powerglide lost 2nd gear. have had mostly stick cars since then, '70 nova, '80 malibu, '86 GTI, '83 F-100, '87 GTI, '02 saturn L200, '93 SC1, '04 VUE- all stick cars.

1989 F-150 XLT Lariat 302. Dad's company truck. I was 10-11 at the time. That truck went through 2 transmissions over the 100K that my dad had it. I think it had the Mazda M50D trans in it. Dad had to drive home starting out in 3rd one time becuase he lost 1st, 2nd and 5th(OD) in it.

Late 60s Chevy grain truck when I was around 11-12. Moved up to a Ford 9000 semi tractor with a 10 speed and 42ft trailer when I was 17. Was able to have my full drivers license when I was 15 in rural ND.
Still haven't figured out how to correctly shift the old 5 and a 4 transmissions.

Last edited:
I learned stick and passed my driver's test using my Dad's 1954 Chevy. Later, my first car was a 1960 VW. The Beetle's first gear wasn't synchronized. I learned to match the revs on downshifts in traffic because the engine and gearbox were so forgiving. I believe it had all of 34 HP and could get up to 75+ mph depending upon the wind and grade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back