What Is Your Default Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put Mobil 1 0W-40 into everything unless there is a good reason not to or I just don't feel like it. I have started using Red Line 10W-30 in the NSX and likely will put it into the S2000 next time I change its oil.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were forced to choose one brand to stick with for the rest of my life, I'd probably choose Pennzoil.

But in reality I'm not very brand loyal, as I use different brands and types of oils in my truck, and my parents' vehicles.

You've heard of serial monogamy? That's mostly how I am with oil. Going back 20ish years, I used to use Mobil and Mobil 1 products, had a quick stent with Valvoline, I've probably used Pennzoil products almost exclusively longer than any other (YB, HM, Platinum and Ultra), but with my next oil changes the Mazda 6 is getting full syn Castrol Magnatec, and the Cadillac will get Castrol Edge EP, both with Fram Ultra filters (first time use on those as well, used to use Mazda OEM, Napa Gold, Platinum, or Bosch D+). Will run the Mazda to a 7.5K oci (still under extended warranty) and the Caddy to 10K-12K range most likely. I can't think of any legitimate reason I switched other than the something better came along syndrome.

If I actually had to choose a default oil, I guess it would be Pennzoil Platinum at the moment.

Last edited:
When I started driving in 1976, it was Quaker State SAE 30. Being from Pennsylvania, that might be understandable. If you take the time to understand the origins of viscosity index, it might even be obvious. The old guard that I worked with as a teenager often professed the virtues of Pennsylvania crude oil as a lubricant.

Roll the clock forward a few years to the point where I had a degree in Chemical Engineering and some new cars. At that point I switched to Castrol GTX. This stuff seemed to foam like [censored] in everything I put it in. These were the 3K OCI days, and those cars were traded at roughly 50K miles.

Somewhere after this I switched to Mobil 1 and have never looked back. My time in Germany from 1992-94 had something to do with this, as both Quaker State and Penzoil were deeply reviled by the Germans for blow engines in their BMWs and Mercedes. Things happen at sustained 100+ MPH driving.

Ah, those were the days. Nothing today seems to compare with a bad day at the office followed by a 100+ MPH drive home.

My default, defacto and dejure oil used to be QS 10w-30 but with these new fandangled whiz-bang combo new engine tech using these sub-zero specd paper thin 0w oils has really got me befuddled a bit. My question is does the 0w-20 QS UD have the same type of performance as the QS UD 10w-30? Anyone know? I realize the NOACK will be way off but can you get a NOACK like the 10w with 0ws ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robertcope
I put Mobil 1 0W-40 into everything unless there is a good reason not to or I just don't feel like it. I have started using Red Line 10W-30 in the NSX and likely will put it into the S2000 next time I change its oil.

Let's see some pics of that NSX!
smile.gif

In Oz, the full synthetic Castrol Magnatec 5W30, it's SN and A3/B4

But I'm keen to try the Castrol Edge 10W30 this is SN and A5/B5

Last edited:
My default oil is Mobil 1. Walmart prices make it an easy decision plus I have always used Mobil 1.

PUP. 10w30 is easy to find online at Wal-Mart and with the $10 rebate it ends up being $14 for 5qts! 😄. Royal purple 10w40 hps and valvoline 10w30 HM syntjetic 2as well.

My Defacto, dejure and default choice is Quaker State followed closely by Pennzoil Platinum / Ultra.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back