What Is Your Default Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any vehicle over 100,000 gets Delo 400 15W-40.

Saab specifies synthetic due to CAT adjacent to sump at oil pick-up point (coking) so it gets Rotella T6 5W-40.

My new to me truck with less than 85K will get Maxlife 10W-30 cause it's still 24 years old and has a rear main weep.

Those three are always on hand. Always defaults here.

But, I have two cases of Delo400 15W-30 SD (severe duty) stashed for engine rebuilds and break-in oil. This is my new default first-fire oil since I can't get VR-1 anymore w/o driving to Reno ...

Newbe,
I'm with ya there. However, I tend to gravitate towards Castrol. I got a bunch on clearance a while back. I have used and liked other oils including M1 EP, PUP, Redline, RP, Synpower. They all seem to be great oils.

What ever Dexos full synthetic 5W-30 that is on sale . With the exception , have not used Super Tech . Can not bring myself to buy a " house brand " oil .

Last edited:
Motorcraft 5W20 Semi-syn has been my default for years now in all my Ford vehicles. I've used SuperTech full syn on occasion too but otherwise I have never deviated from either of those.

However, I did break rank recently and bought some O'reilly/Amalie conventional and some NAPA full syn for my stash.

Originally Posted By: Peter_480
Motorcraft 5W20 Semi-syn has been my default for years now in all my Ford vehicles.

One of my favorites as well. Stays a nice honey color during the sometimes long oci.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Mobil Super 5000 High Mileage 10W-30.

That's the correct reply for this thread; one oil and the viscosity.

Amsoil XL 5W30 or Castrol Edge(gold) 5W30

Originally Posted By: K23Turbo

You almost had it. The OP wants you to pick one oil, not two.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: K23Turbo

You almost had it. The OP wants you to pick one oil, not two.
grin2.gif

Castrol Edge(gold) 5W30

HUR hur

If on the shelf at Wally Mart - M1 (HM for the older ones), PP (HM for the seniors) or Valvoline Full Syn Maxlife (HM for the elders). They are so inconsistant on their shipping and inventory one time all 3 cars had PYB in them.

I've dicked around a bit lately with different brands, but generally used Castrol GTX for years and defaulted to Mobil 1 for synthetics.

I'll prob avoid Exxon products voting w/ my wallet in the future, so I'll stick w/ PP or Edge for my wife's 4Runner. I took my old girl back to GTX.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
What ever Dexos full synthetic 5W-30 that is on sale . With the exception , have not used Super Tech . Can not bring myself to buy a " house brand " oil

That's really too bad. I used in my truck and was really impressed. My truck had the typical 5.3 clacking on start up, and after using Super Tech, it went away. I don't know why, I just went to Wal Mart looking for oil, and decided to get over my bias, and give it a try. It seems as though my engine never ran so smooth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back