What is wrong with Redline 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come people are recommending to use Redline's 5W-30 in 1.8T motors instead of their 5W-40 product? Some people say it is too thick at start up and will produce some wear while others say it is great. It seems like if you have either a subie or a Volks, RL looks like the best oil hands down. I am just curious about the 5W-30 grade recommendation when it comes to Redline??!?!?!? Wouldn't all that moly prevent start up wear if you were using 5W-40? I thought that was what it was for?

Brian

Nothing wrong with the 5w40. Use it if you like.
Winter is coming so 30wts are going in my cars.

I ran Redline 5W-40 and 5W-30 since new in our Subaru Outback.

Car ran great with either weight oil. UOA on the 5W-40 at 8K OCI was excellent.

If I was driving really hard, or the motor was modded for extra hp...I'd choose 5W-40.

I think Redline is really great oil, and hard to beat.

quote:

Originally posted by brianpavlovic:
Okay, so Redline 5W-40 is a good oil, but maybe alittle too thick for winter use and using a 30wt would be a better choice?

-Brian

You could also mix half 5w30 and half 5w40. Ask Dave at Redline. I don't think he would have any problem with mixing these. If your car is supposed to use a 40 weight, Redline says you can run one grade thinner with their oil, presumably because of the high HTHS viscosity, which is more like that of the next higher grade.

Also, if you have an oil pressure gauge, how does the pressure compare to spec with the different grades? I would think you should use the grade that keeps the pressure in the spec range.

Shouldn't the cold pumping characteristics of either the 5W-40 and
5W-30 be the same? If I weren't very happy with the Amsoil
European 5W-40 I would go with the Redline in a heartbeat.
Craig

Actually the Redline 5W40 is THINNER than the 5W30 at -30C (according to Redline's data), so I would not hesitate to use it in winter.

I will use Redline 5W40 in winter (Ottawa and Toronto, ON) in a VW 2.8L V6 and VW TDI engines. I'm sure it'll be just fine.

BTW, I used Redline 5W30 in the 2.8L V6 and it burned about 1L every 5,000Km. Since I switched to the 5W40 it hasn't burned a drop, and the fuel exonomy has remained unchanged.

I'm using 5W-40 REDLINE in my 104m mile RAM V8-318. Hasn't used a drop of oil since the MolaSoak and ARX cleanup. Did use a little of the dino it was on when I bought it. Sample to be drawn this week to send to BLACKSTONE, will report back once Terry eyeballs it.

Truck sees a lot of extended idling on MAX AC, a half hour or more for every 5 to 6 of operation lately.

RL 5w40 is supposed to be the only RL oil with VIIs in it, not that that would be a problem. But why not just run RL 10w40? It has very good cold properties and should take any winter conditions you will see in PA IMHO.

quote:

Originally posted by brianpavlovic:
How come people are recommending to use Redline's 5W-30 in 1.8T motors instead of their 5W-40 product? Some people say it is too thick at start up and will produce some wear while others say it is great. It seems like if you have either a subie or a Volks, RL looks like the best oil hands down. I am just curious about the 5W-30 grade recommendation when it comes to Redline??!?!?!? Wouldn't all that moly prevent start up wear if you were using 5W-40? I thought that was what it was for?

Brian

Have no doubt that Redline is a great oil, but is it VW502 approved? Don't think it's on the list, so if you are under the 8 year sludge warranty you may want to consider that and stick with an approved oil for the meantime. If you are not worried about sludge, then I'd use whatever you prefer.

If you have concerns about RL 5W40 (and you shouldn't) search for Tyrolkids 5W40 UOA's in UOA section. As good as you'll find and in a very high boost turbo engine, so most impressive.

Brian [/qb][/QUOTE]Have no doubt that Redline is a great oil, but is it VW502 approved? Don't think it's on the list, so if you are under the 8 year sludge warranty you may want to consider that and stick with an approved oil for the meantime. If you are not worried about sludge, then I'd use whatever you prefer. [/QB][/QUOTE]

If you still have doubt about Redline pls take a look this thread. Sludge

How come European cars must use specific oil approval, unlike japanese cars. Does that make their autos special? Why so anal about it that the consumer is having a hard time finding approved oil, especially in the U.S where most of the market are for japanese and american cars which do not need "oh so exclusive " Merc/BMW/Audi/VW approved oil. Euro cars-pay up the yin yang for spare parts and service. Japs/American-parts a plenty, modify with ease and use any oil that you like from el cheapo penzzoil to super premium such as ELF Solaris or Motul 300V with no problems.

I did use Redline 10w40 which was not approved by Merc when I had my 98 C230,back in 98, merc didn't even approve synthetics, and now they changed their mind? there were oil seepage but never needed to top off my oil ever in the four years that I own the car though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back