What is third wire on kill switch

I serviced my McCulloch GBV 345 and a third cable to the kill switch came loose and I have no idea where it goes or what it does. It has a large flat eye terminal and judging by the length of the wire it maybe connects to something in the top handle - but there are no metal parts in the top handle. The photo shows a possible connection but what can it do if attached to a plastic boss. Any ideas anyone?
Odd wire on stop switch.jpg

It can only connect to something within the distance of the reach. Could we have a picture showing more of the handle and the other half of the handle?

If it has an eyelet did you find any loose screws? Is the switch and machine functioning without that wire connected? Its possible it's a switch used on different models and doesn't serve a function on your machine.

My idea (a guess) is that the switch was designed for tools with metal bodies and that the red wire in your photo is a ground.
They couldn't leave it unattached or it'd rattle.

look closely at the ring terminal for evidence of it being used; notches from a star washer, etc. It may be just an extra terminal unused in your application as mentioned above. I was helping a friend w/ an old log splitter and it had a similar switch, but the third red lead went to the oil safety switch...lack of sufficient oil grounded the ignition, but you have a two stroke I believe.

Most handheld equipment with that wire have a metal band that runs about 3 inches along the handle. My Husqvarna 125B blower has that also. I am not sure what it's for but it's not so uncommon. Maybe it's some sort of neutral or body ground.

DSC00510.JPG

Back