What is the verdict on Lifetime oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know if the jury is still out on wheather a lifetime oil filter is worth buying.I looked at the ones from PurePower and Trufilter.I was going to buy one and run her for 5k and see what the samples say.I don't see how they could be bad.PurePower has been tested by Mack/U.S.Postal service according PurePower.Thanks Joe
fruit.gif

I can't get the economics of them to work. I imagine that you still have to clean them eventually even if you're running a bypass filter. If you had a filter that was difficult to service it might make sense from that angle ..but if you're installing a bypass in conjunction with it ..you can just as easily mount a remote. Between the bypass and the cost of the lifetime filter ..you're looking at some serious ownership time to make it pay.

That's not the same thing as saying that it's a bad idea ..just that it's expensive.

with a modern $2.00 filter running anywhere from 10-20K miles , these lifetime oil filters dont make economic sence.

my honda takes 5 filter changes for 100,000 miles of use. 5 supertech filters is about $11.00 after taxes to go 100,000 miles. a purepower type filters is quite costly, id have to go voer a million miles on my honda just to come close to breaking even in terms of cost!

maybe just maybe a lifetime filter would make economic sence if you were determined to change a conventional filter every 3K miles or less. but most owners manuals these days dont recomend that short of an interval. and most people (atleast on bitog) are realising that any conventional oil filter lasts alot longer than 3K miles.

I've used this type of filter on a hydraulic system. The only way to get the filter really clean was to send it out to a shop that had an ultrasonic cleaning machine.

I'd stick with a top quality $5.95 filter.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back