What is the usual policy when dealership doesn't fix problem?

You keep writing a check. There is no troubleshooting available anymore. The other option is that you fix it yourself.

They did fix it, for a week and a half. Now you have a new problem.
Doesn't federal regulations say that the manufacturers must repair/replace any admissions related components for eight years or ?? miles?

Doesn't federal regulations say that the manufacturers must repair/replace any admissions related components for eight years or ?? miles?
I didn't see an error codes posted in this thread by the OP, and whether whatever was replaced is even part of a coverable component since no receipt was shown. Those emissions related components, that are covered, are listed in the warranty manual. So, fed reg don't mean a thing without knowing exactly what the codes and parts were. Plenty of stuff isn't covered.

no, exhaust rusted off in front of the cat on 2010 hyundai a few years back.. wasnt covered.

No, for example my Ram 1500 warranty booklet shows only the catalytic converters and PCM covered under the 8 year/80k federal warranty. Pretty much everything else says that the federal warranty is 2 years/24k however Ram covers those out to 3 years/36k.
2E214D4D-55DA-49A0-8F0D-88282140F785.jpeg

No, for example my Ram 1500 warranty booklet shows only the catalytic converters and PCM covered under the 8 year/80k federal warranty. Pretty much everything else says that the federal warranty is 2 years/24k however Ram covers those out to 3 years/36k. View attachment 124370
Yep mine was not under warranty. Paid $143 for them to replace another valve, Hopefully done with the repair and that dealership.

Took my 2016 Sierra with 52k on it, to the GMC dealership a week and a half ago for a check engine light, slight emissions leak, per my scan tool. They put a new valve assy. on it and with labor was around $520. Check engine light came on yesterday. Same issue on my scanner. Obviously not fixed. Did they change out a properly working part?? Who knows. What do shops/dealerships do in this instance?

Going back in Thursday morning to be looked at again.
As of Friday the 16th back in the shop again for the same slight emission leak. This is now the fourth time. Getting sick of this incompetent dealer.

Took my 2016 Sierra with 52k on it, to the GMC dealership a week and a half ago for a check engine light, slight emissions leak, per my scan tool. They put a new valve assy. on it and with labor was around $520. Check engine light came on yesterday. Same issue on my scanner. Obviously not fixed. Did they change out a properly working part?? Who knows. What do shops/dealerships do in this instance?

Going back in Thursday morning to be looked at again.
Sorry if I missed it, but what code(s) were present?

Man I hope they didn't charge you $520 to slap a new purge valve on it. I get it if they had to drop the fuel tank, etc.

honest repair shops are hard to find + most dealers are prolly worse IMO!! modern vehicles continue to become MORE complicated + COSTLY to fix thats why many owners trade often IF they can afford IT!! the equipment to diagnose todays vehicles is $$$$$ + the person that uses it needs to be pretty SAVY!!

I wonder how many Honda transmissions, for example, have been replaced or rebuilt when all that was wrong was a shift solenoid ?
Year ago I took one of our Accords to the Honda dealership we been using since the 1990s. Well of course all the techs who have been doing warranty or any minor work are all retired. Even the service manager I been knowing for years is gone. For the first time ever going there, first thing noticed was a bunch of young techs sitting on benches in view of the customers smoking and playing loud music and acting like they were in a 24 hour airport lounge. They tried to tell me the intermittent starting issues could be $1200 starter replacement job or $2800 ECU replacement with diagnostic charges too. I told them to do nothing and I will take my car with me. This of course after they had it 2 days. $90 Diagnostic and associated B/S charges on the bill. NEVER AGAIN. Took it to these two local guys who been working their own shop 28 years in partnership with local NAPA store. They did not have time the week before. So they kept it one day and called. It was ready and the charge was about $160. Two things were done that Honda's new techs did not even suggest. Replaced questionable battery with a new NAPA hi performance battery. Found and replaced the bad negative battery cable. Nothing else needed. Car cranked great and back to running like new. So Honda dealership and their new techs can play music and smoke on the bench and try to find new customers. I am sure they wont miss my small amount of business I used to bring to them every other year or so.

As of Friday the 16th back in the shop again for the same slight emission leak. This is now the fourth time. Getting sick of this incompetent dealer.
What you describe is beyond incompetence, for a dealer to throw parts and hope it fixed it borders on criminal fraud. A decent scan tool (which they have the best OE) can trigger a purge and vent valve for smoke testing, a purge valve can even be tested with a hand vacuum pump.
Take this vehicle to a competent mechanic, he will find it, repair it, then sue that crook in small claims.

What codes does it have?

Reactions: JTK
I would have reached the hard to get along with point about trip 2... raise a stink with he service manager or director and i don't mean the service advisor they renamed to service manager to make every one feel better about it i mean the honcho.

You shouldn't have to pay for their incompetence. they need to start eating it...

Oh and if you have anymore trouble start hitting google reviews an dealerrater...

Sorry if I missed it, but what code(s) were present?

Man I hope they didn't charge you $520 to slap a new purge valve on it. I get it if they had to drop the fuel tank, etc.
I believe it was code 042. slight emissions leak.

Reactions: JTK
Since the dealership started the job. They need to complete it to my satisfaction.
I had to go back to your original post.... It's for a 2016 so it's not a warranty repair. Sorry, I thought it was and if so, that's where I'd go elsewhere, even getting GM corporate involved if necessary. In this case, yeah, that sucks.

I would have reached the hard to get along with point about trip 2... raise a stink with he service manager or director and i don't mean the service advisor they renamed to service manager to make every one feel better about it i mean the honcho.

You shouldn't have to pay for their incompetence. they need to start eating it...

Oh and if you have anymore trouble start hitting google reviews an dealerrater...
Reach out to the dealership manager. Next step is to open a dispute with the corporate headquarters.

I had to go back to your original post.... It's for a 2016 so it's not a warranty repair. Sorry, I thought it was and if so, that's where I'd go elsewhere, even getting GM corporate involved if necessary. In this case, yeah, that sucks.
Once this gets sorted out, trust me I will NOT be going back to this dealership.

Dealerships like that should have 80 inch flat screens playing South Main Auto YouTube videos 24/7.maybe their techs might pick up a little knowledge.

Back