What is the story on K&N oil filters today?

I always heard they were decent filters. And then there were the ones that said they leaked at the welds on the nuts. Many wrench and impact happy hands out there.. maybe they were installed wrong. 😵

I always heard they were decent filters. And then there were the ones that said they leaked at the welds on the nuts. Many wrench and impact happy hands out there.. maybe they were installed wrong. 😵
Sometimes the nuts leak from bad spot welds, and sometimes they leak because they rust under the nuts (not sure if there's paint under there), which could also be spot weld related. Combined with somewhat marginal efficiency & a generally high price=not the ones I use. But maybe others have had better luck?

Last thing you want on a motorcycle is a leaking oil filter. I have used K&N oil filers in the past on my cycles, but not anymore after hearing about the possible oil leaks.

The issue is people using the nut on the end of the filter for installation.
The nuts purpose is only for removal, not installation.

Lots of those issues could have been prevented with a proper marketing campaign that explained the nuts purpose. People tighten the can using the nut which weakens the outer shell and eventually some leaks start happening.

The issue is people using the nut on the end of the filter for installation.
The nuts purpose is only for removal, not installation.

Lots of those issues could have been prevented with a proper marketing campaign that explained the nuts purpose. People tighten the can using the nut which weakens the outer shell and eventually some leaks start happening.
Agreed 👍

So why do they weld the nut on? Seems to me, using a extra thick case, you can stamp in the "nut" with one more stamping die, and maybe press in a blank "nut" in the wet end for rigidity.

So why do they weld the nut on? Seems to me, using a extra thick case, you can stamp in the "nut" with one more stamping die, and maybe press in a blank "nut" in the wet end for rigidity.
They weld it on so that there are places to run a safety wire for racing/anti vibration/ prevent backing off in high vibe environment.
Pressed from the case they'd have to somehow seal the drilled or punched holes for the safety wire.

Last thing you want on a motorcycle is a leaking oil filter. I have used K&N oil filers in the past on my cycles, but not anymore after hearing about the possible oil leaks.
The motorcycle K&Ns are supposedly made by Hi-Flo Filtro in Thailand… and Hi-Flo generally makes good filters. No, they are not made in the same Thai plant that makes Denso OE filters, that’s a Toyota Boshoku product.

Years ago, Fram was banned from motorcycle racing - the tapping plates didn’t engage the oil filter spud sufficiently. Now, oil filters with welded nuts are frowned upon.

Had a K&N motorcycle filter fail on me catastrophically at the welded nut. Luckily it was parked and idling before the ride.
It was made in Korea, but I wouldn't think Indonesia is better quality.
It is not a "bad" weld, the whole idea of spotwelding to the can is dumb. It fails (crack in can) due to thermal and pressure cycling.
You have been warned. I tossed all of my K&N oil filters in the trash.

Because they use commodity-style filters made by other manufacturers. For the K&N units, they go to a welding line to get the nut added, then back to paint.

Back