What is the story on K&N oil filters today?

This pertains to the "standard" K&N oil filter with the heavy case and 1" nut at the end, not the other versions.

Different threads here noted production of these filters had moved to Asia and quality suffered. Some leaked where the nut was welded to the case. But I did see posts saying production was now back in the US.

Where (country) are these K&N oil filters now made? What is the feeling about their quality now?

I have an application in which the filter is in a fairly tight spot and that nut would be handy, but not if the filter leaks or is otherwise a poor choice. Thanks.

I haven't looked at a K&N filter for a while, but it used to be (about 2-3 years ago) that the box would read "Made in the U.S.A." in Riverside, CA. On the filter, however, it'd say made in Korea. I don't necessarily get too hung up on where things are made (depends on the item), but I've just never seen a reason to spend $4-5 more for a K&N when Fram Ultras (or OEM) were available.

I’ve used the K&N 171C on my Harley’s for years. On twin cam Harley’s the crank sensor location makes it hard to access the filter. Harley even sells a special slotted filter wrench to work around the sensor but the K&N nut makes access to it so much easier and less messy with only a ratchet and extension. I just checked a 171C on the shelf in the garage and the box says “product of Thailand”. I have read that K&N had problems in the past with the welded nut leaking but hopefully they have fixed the problem. That could be a real problem on a motorcycle oil filter! :eek: I change the filter every other OCI and the K&N is $2 cheaper than the Harley filter.

Last edited:
This pertains to the "standard" K&N oil filter with the heavy case and 1" nut at the end, not the other versions.

Different threads here noted production of these filters had moved to Asia and quality suffered. Some leaked where the nut was welded to the case. But I did see posts saying production was now back in the US.

Where (country) are these K&N oil filters now made? What is the feeling about their quality now?

I have an application in which the filter is in a fairly tight spot and that nut would be handy, but not if the filter leaks or is otherwise a poor choice. Thanks.
The last few that I got as part of the oil change specials were made by Champ Labs in the USA. These were the white can versions with the removal nut.

The last few that I got as part of the oil change specials were made by Champ Labs in the USA. These were the white can versions with the removal nut.
Now Walmart has a KN filters that are all black. I'm not sure if the construction or effeciency has changed but they all say they're good for 20k miles.

Now Walmart has a KN filters that are all black. I'm not sure if the construction or effeciency has changed but they all say they're good for 20k miles.
I have two in front of me, part numbers SO-1003 and SO-1004. Branded "K&N Select."

They're both E-Core filters and Made in USA.

I have found cap sockets for oil filters to work beautifully and they are fairly thin walled so you don't need much room. You can use any oil filter you want as long as the socket is the right size and correct number of flutes.

Those models don't have the welded nut though, do they ?
No, they do not. The FD9688 equivalent (HP-1004) is a Champs clone (formerly the design used used by M1-104 recently) and still used by SuperTech in their MP/ST9688 as well.

To clarify. All these use the same design (currently)

Fram Drive 9688
K&N (black) HP-1004
SuperTech ST9688
SuperTech MP9688

I use these filters as an example since they are what's recommended for both my vehicles.

Any elaboration there?
There probably ok, I thought you didn't like K&N. The silver and the gold are good filters, they fixed up a few issues with them years ago. They are made all over the place these days but are usually quality. I'm running the silver (black) at the moment so will put a C&P in a few months. I will go back to the gold (white) after that. I don't have much choice I run 5w-50 in a modified car, I'm getting pretty close to bypass in most filters but the K&N can support the thicker oils better and they have always been good quality the ones I have had.

Cotton got 90% cellulose content, might be cotton made oil filter but not sure :unsure:
True ... "cellulose" is a broad term and can consist of many things. But if I recall correctly, most "cellulose" filter media is typically made of wood products. Never heard or read of any oil filter cellulose media being made of cotton, but maybe it's possible.

Back