What is the story on K&N oil filters today?

True ... "cellulose" is a broad term and can consist of many things. But if I recall correctly, most "cellulose" filter media is typically made of wood products. Never heard or read of any oil filter cellulose media being made of cotton, but maybe it's possible.

I concur. Cellulose is a plant fiber based product. Wood based cellulose is likely the most common type for oil filters but I suspect that a blend of wood, cotton and perhaps other plant based cellulose are used to make the media.

I drove a 2006 GMC Canyon for 150,000 miles using AC Delco filters and OCI's at 12,000 miles using Mobil ! 10-30. Never a problem. I now have a 2021 Canyon V6 and intend to use AC Delco air and oil filters. Not sure what oil to use yet, i read M1 has made a formula change and it is not as good as it was. Not sure about that, but if that is so i'll probably use Valvoline Syn 5-30.

Bought a black one, PS1003, for my Corolla a few weeks ago. Slim pickings at the time. Started getting a rough idle at start up, ADBV failed. Replaced and no problems since.
I haven’t had many ADBV fail and this is the first silicone one. Sample size of one and things slip through the cracks, and all the usual excuses. Not sure what went wrong with it, but disappointing for a premium priced filter.

Bought a black one, PS1003, for my Corolla a few weeks ago. Slim pickings at the time. Started getting a rough idle at start up, ADBV failed. Replaced and no problems since.
I haven’t had many ADBV fail and this is the first silicone one. Sample size of one and things slip through the cracks, and all the usual excuses. Not sure what went wrong with it, but disappointing for a premium priced filter.

Yep, the black ones are made in China, I haven't had any problems yet but I'm going back to the white one (gold) just to be sure. In Australia the K&N filters are one of the cheapest options. We pay ridiculous prices over here for oil and filters.

you just hand tighten them on and get them off with a filter wrench. if you dont horse them on there they come off with little grunting.

Good application for the frams with the textured grip.

The very common motorcycle “204” K&N filter was originally made by HiFlo, who was the originator of the nut on the end. Patent expired. Then K&N gave the contract to China who continued to use the nut but (of course) changed the guts. Seems to me every time K&N changes the contract, moves country of origin, they change the filter design but not P/N.

HiFlo has never had issue with construction of their nut but Chinese K&N had a recall of all motorcycle filters about 6 years ago due to poor or weak welds resulting in leaks. The nut filters were banned from race tracks. Out of fear even the excellent HiFlo were shunned.

A bone I have to pick with nut filters is the lack of knurling to use a conventional cap wrench.

I use Motorcraft on the Ford, Wix on the Subaru, and HiFlo no-nut on the Yamaha.

Seems to me every time K&N changes the contract, moves country of origin, they change the filter design but not P/N.
As long as the filter continues to fit the applications, they aren't going to change the p/n. Customers/users know which p/n fits their car, every online store would need to update their systems, the little gadgets in Walmart or Autozone that tell you the part # for your car would need updated, and so on.

Internally, you can be certain that K&N knows the crossover when filters change manufacturers, design, etc and keeps track of it.

Walmart had a deal on black Selects a while back, I bought a few for the PH7317 Hondas in the family-but NO ONE could give me an efficiency rating on them! K&N referred me to Champ (they are Ecores), Champ referred me to K&N (which was weird because Champ is usually very forthcoming with spec info). So who knows if they're any good or not! Unless someone is giving them away, I would pass on ANYTHING K&N makes!

Yep, the black ones are made in China, I haven't had any problems yet but I'm going back to the white one (gold) just to be sure. In Australia the K&N filters are one of the cheapest options. We pay ridiculous prices over here for oil and filters.
Not any more, the black Selects I got recently were Champ Ecores. Unless AU K&Ns are different?

The white K&N Golds are 95% at 20 microns. They haven't changed.

The new black Selects are 99% at 30 and are identical to the Supertech MP- series, not e-cores like the ST- series. They're champ XL's, at least in my fitments.

Not any more, the black Selects I got recently were Champ Ecores. Unless AU K&Ns are different?
Yep, we had old stock of the standard black which have changed as well now. I have a thread with a cut up of the original black can.

The new black Selects are 99% at 30 and are identical to the Supertech MP- series, not e-cores like the ST- series. They're champ XL's, at least in my fitments.
Where is this information from?

I can post a picture if you like-there's definitely a plastic cage in mine! If they have Champ XL media that would be a nice bonus, the XL is similar to the Luberfiner Imperial XL, which actually has better than 99% @ 30 micron efficiency. I just don't like their lack of information, and there's no efficiency rating on the boxes I have.

I can post a picture if you like-there's definitely a plastic cage in mine! If they have Champ XL media that would be a nice bonus, the XL is similar to the Luberfiner Imperial XL, which actually has better than 99% @ 30 micron efficiency. I just don't like their lack of information, and there's no efficiency rating on the boxes I have.
I may have been mistaken then. I took a brief look at the MP7317 and saw that the baseplate matched the equivalent K&N Select

Back