What is the SHELF-LIFE of an OIL FILTER? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trademotion.com sells my 2007 Corolla filters at a very discounted price.

I was thinking about buying a whole bunch of 'em and storing 'em for use down the yaers.

Is this wise?

I know the filter is just a piece of paper but everything degrades over time...

what do you think?

wise idea?

Stored in doors, I imagine minimum of 3 years. Personally, I wouldn't stock pile no more than a two years of oil filters (which is four for me) You never know, your car could be totalled or you may trade it in.

I used a ten year old Wix filter and it leaked around the crimp seam at the base.I guess,from what an expert told me, the latex sealer that was used in production was drying up inside.

The OEM Toyota filters I bought have a plastic film over the open end. I'm guessing that's to keep them from drying out, not really sure. I also noticed that the rubber gasket is already oiled when I remove the film. Sitting in my cool garage I'll bet these will last many years.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Normally rubber, as used in the gasket, has a recommended 6 year service life.

Also consider the rubber used in the anti-drain back valve. If the ADBV was silicon it might last longer on the shelf.

If I could figure out how to post a video here, I'd show how a retention valve bounces like a coin after it dries out (filter I cut this afternoon with only 4000 miles) don't know the time.

Wix told me five years the their filter, I personally would not purchase more then two years worth of filters for the Corolla, you do not know how old they are when delivered or if you will own the car years later, two years is a nice savings and not much of a risk.

Trademotion runs many online dealer shopping websites; they have some sort of inventory tracker software they lease to the dealer.

I bought a 20 year old fram at a yard sale and took it apart; the papery media was still supple, not tearing, dried out, dusty, or otherwise weakened in appearance, and the cheapo rubber ADBV still flexed just fine. Had been stored, presumably, in the guy's garage/basement with no special precations. Used another filter (got 4 for $.25) on my car and it didn't blow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back