What is the life expectancy of an auto trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: 38sho
worst domestic transmissions to own:
Chrysler 604 and RWD TF-6 TF-8
Ford CD4E, E4OD, 4r70w, A4LD(and other explorer variants)

Chevy 4t60E, 4l60e, 4l80e

Interesting that in heavy duty fleet use we have NEVER rebuilt any 4L80E's. Our vans weigh over 9500 pounds and work every day. One has 408k miles and some others with 200k+ miles.

I was going to say the 4L80E has proved to very trouble free.

In my time RVin I have yet to talk to to anyone who has replaced or had one rebuilt. I am curious to see how long my will last. My last turbo 400 went 180,000 towing.

my family owns a transmission shop, I'm just showing you all the trends, I think I'd be a good guide as to what messes up the most, because they all filter through the door with a bad transmission, some types a lot more frequently then others..... and those are the ones I mentioned.

I worked at our shop for a few years as a R&R mechanic before my current job, I pulled a lot of E4OD and 4L80's out.... I think that the 4L80 holds up better then the E4OD, but I wouldn't consider it bulletproof by any means.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: FZ1
All evidence to the contrary. Lol.

Please produce any evidence that backs your assertion. I would be open minded and eager to see it.
I think you misunderstood. This post was addressed to V. It was just a short right jab in return for the long,looping,right he threw at me.

RWD TF-6 TF-8

Please elaborate on these as I thought the Chrysler 3 speed Torqueflite was a very solid box. We had several in the family and the only one that failed was the result of being thrown into reverse while driving forward at 45 MPH
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I got 160k out of a 4-speed Cavalier AT recently, and AFAIK, it only had 1 pan drop/filter change/refill at about 140k miles.

It WAS slipping, and shifted hard, but if I had kept the car, I expected it to go 200k, albeit driving it much gentler near the end.

I have to confess, the CD4E in my 2003 Tribute isn't in the best shape - it 'hunts' and slips a bit, and with the history of these trans, I don't know what's in store with it.

When I bought it, the tranny fluid was like new, but it leaked a little bit. I'm pretty sure it was a short-tripped/rarely driven vehicle, so the seals had dried out a bit. Reason I think this is I started driving the vehicle a lot, like I do with my vehicles, and topping off the tranny regularly to the tune of about 1 quart.

After 5 months, the tranny appears to have stopped leaking (touch wood), and seems to generally shift fine. I will keep driving it reasonably, and see how it does going forward.

If you can run Mercon V and put some Lubeguard Red in it and you'll never have a problem. Ours shifts better than new. Not sure how Mercon V would affect the leaks though. I also put a filter on it.

To answer the OP's question.. for the life of the vehicle. I wouldn't be satisfied if it didn't. Some AT's are weaker and should be treated as such. I expect our so called weak cd4e to last as long as the body of the Escape.

In 1996 I bought a 1993 Dynasty with the Mitsu 3.0L V6 and the A604 transmission with 77594 miles. Over the next couple of months I drove it pretty hard, I was 18 after all, and I liked how it cruised at 80mph. About 8 months later at 84895 miles, some stupid kids decided to bump me at a red light and I got out to yell at them. The passenger pulled a big chrome gangster gun so I dived back in my car and floored it. Didn't let off the gas until I was up on the Interstate doing 105-110mph. When I let off the gas to coast back down to 80mph, that stupid pin in the differential let go and my transmission ate itself, case included, so I couldn't even have it rebuilt for $1600, it needed a case and everything. So $2800 later I had no trouble out of that car until I totaled it at 1426xx miles.

Had I spent the extra $30/month for the 2 year/24K powertrain warranty my Dad suggested I get since he was aware of the Chrysler transmission problems and I wasn't, I could have spent a $50 deductible instead.

More depends on where your drive, how you drive, and how you maintain it. We get cars in all the time with black ATF from driving through the mountains with 12 people in a 7 passenger mini-van at maximum speed, steep grades. Those that come in frequently have no problems. Those that postpone oil changes end up looking for new transmissions and complaining about the automatics.

My two current longest running automatics are my 88 BMW325ic that has around 180,000 miles on it (I put in a conditioner once - about 7 years ago - when it was acting up). Synthetic oil every 5 or 6 years. And my 98 Toyota T100 that goes out to the country every day with 4 or 5 drums of oil on the back of it and fights its way through the mud in 4x4 mode. That one just passed the 200,000 mile mark.

For me and my lead foot, 150k. Well maybe except the Prius, since it doesn't exactly have a transmission.

Originally Posted By: dnastrau

RWD TF-6 TF-8

Please elaborate on these as I thought the Chrysler 3 speed Torqueflite was a very solid box. We had several in the family and the only one that failed was the result of being thrown into reverse while driving forward at 45 MPH
crazy.gif

they have a website dedicated to them, it seems some transmissions do good on a case to case basis, and a lot of people are doing rebuilds every 30-50k miles

Originally Posted By: dnastrau

RWD TF-6 TF-8

crazy.gif

they have a website dedicated to them, it seems some transmissions do good on a case to case basis, and a lot of people are doing rebuilds every 30-50k miles

Just to be clear - are you talking about the plain old rear wheel drive 3 speed Torqueflite 904 ("Torqueflite 6" starting in 1960) and the Torqueflite 727 ("Torqueflite 8" starting in 1962)? I have never heard of these regularly failing in 30-50K miles and I don't see any websites dedicated to this. The websites that I am aware of focus on the infamous Chrysler "Ultradrive" (A604/A606/41TE/42LE etc.) FWD transaxles. I know that the RWD overdrive trannys (A500/A518/42RE/44RE etc.) based on the original Torqueflite have also been known to have problems associated with the pressure regulator and governor pressure sensors. Fortunately, the 42RE in our Jeep still performs flawlessly at 193K miles.

Sorry to be questioning this, but I think that Chrysler transmission issues often get painted with a broad brush due to the large number of "modern" Chrysler transmissions that had problems - especially FWD units from 1989-2000.

I think you misunderstood. This post was addressed to V. It was just a short right jab in return for the long,looping,right he threw at me.

I really mean no insult. But you're insinuating by driving a car until it's clutch wears out that the driver has no idea how to drive "at all". I don't think that's the case... at least, not all the time. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Both cars I had to replace clutches on were bought heavily used (purchased turbo Shadow at 200k and Taurus SHO at 130k). So before me, who knows how they were driven? And I can tell you I was not easy on that clutch at times. Those cars begged to be flogged on!

Clutches are basically huge brake pads.. they wear.. it happens.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso

I really mean no insult. But you're insinuating by driving a car until it's clutch wears out that the driver has no idea how to drive "at all". I don't think that's the case... at least, not all the time. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Both cars I had to replace clutches on were bought heavily used (purchased turbo Shadow at 200k and Taurus SHO at 130k). So before me, who knows how they were driven? And I can tell you I was not easy on that clutch at times. Those cars begged to be flogged on!

Clutches are basically huge brake pads.. they wear.. it happens.
No problem V. I do have a,professionally induced,sarcastic,sense of humor,but all in good fun. I've had many cars and bikes but have never had a clutch wear out. In any case,a clutch is cheaper to repair/replace than an AT,hence my preference for MT vs. AT. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back