What is the iron issue with Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Mobil_1_Why_Synthetics.aspx

I'd like to know what version of M1 was used in the Vehicle Endurance Graph they show. Notice how Fe goes up and down significantly over the course of 200k miles. In fact, it becomes really low past 150k.

Mobil tests their oils on actual cars using mileage accumulator dynamometers. I'm sure other companies do too. Friend of mine used to work there and said he always saw them testing on certain cars. Usually very nice cars. Mercedes.

Wear metals mean very little. did you read the blackstone comments in the report?500,000 samples they must know something!Ford uses conoco phillips bmw uses castrol...see mobil fan thread do you know this to be a fact?????synthetics have to be in the snooty cars mobil one gives them a break. I know this to be a fact.I got it from the same guy in the diner that told you about ford and bmw.Did you ever see Blackstone ever say wear metals mean nothing??????Like one guy said if you do not like fe. in just use pp. or something else.

Yes clown, Ford definitely uses Conoco for their Motorcraft motor oil line. They signed a 3 year deal with them a while back, and they used them for sometime before the renewal as well. However, it seems Ford uses Formula Shell for factory fill.

Yes i know conoco phillips makes motorcraft just look at the bottles one is black the other is red.BUT formula shell for the factory fill wow.Betcha they got a good deal on that stuff....

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Wear metals mean very little. did you read the blackstone comments in the report?500,000 samples they must know something!

Hmmm, and go figure, they run a business based on performing UOA's!!!!

Quote:
Ford uses conoco phillips bmw uses castrol...see mobil fan thread do you know this to be a fact?????

I really hope English is not your first language. Because your writing and grammar are atrocious!

And yes, everybody knows Motorcraft oil is ConocoPhilips.

As far as Castrol, all you had to do was open Google (must have been too much work, you'd rather rant at me using terrible grammar):

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=8278005&contentId=6005691

Quote:
Castrol India Limited has a strategic partnership with Tata Cummins limited, the largest engine manufacturer in India for an exclusive supply of Castrol manufactured and TCL approved engine oil as factory fill.

And

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=8278002&contentId=6005673

Quote:
Castrol is the main lubricants brand recommended by BMW for their 3,500-plus dealerships worldwide. In addition, we source and market BMW-branded lubricants wherever appropriate. The two companies also collaborate in after-sales service, to enhance dealer service efficiency. From the customer's point of view, our agreement with BMW delivers even better customer care in after-sales activities. Castrol partners the BMW WilliamsF1 team as well as other BMW motorsports, such as sports cars, touring cars and, on two wheels, BMW motorcycle racing in events including the famous Dakar Rally. We provide technical assistance on the race track and in test programmes, and supply all lubricants to the BMW WilliamsF1 team.
We have also been appointed as the worldwide strategic lubricants partner for Jaguar Cars Ltd, Land Rover, Volvo Car Corporation, and Aston Martin.

Quote:
synthetics have to be in the snooty cars mobil one gives them a break.

So Ford, using Synthetic in the GT500 and the Ford GT doesn't count though because they use synthetic from somebody else?

Quote:
I know this to be a fact.I got it from the same guy in the diner that told you about ford and bmw.

Hilarious. I just cited Castrol as a source. The only one with no credible evidence here is you.

Quote:
Did you ever see Blackstone ever say wear metals mean nothing??????

That's a solid argument. Lets state that the company that performs UOA's would not try to protect their source of income......

Quote:
Like one guy said if you do not like fe. in just use pp. or something else.

Or just post grammatical nightmares like you continue doing.......

Quote:
In fact, it becomes really low past 150k.

Two likely potential reasons. Either it's finally broken in ..and trending down ..or M1 finally eroded/corroded all the Fe that there was to scrub out of the sucker
28.gif
27.gif

45.gif

haaaa I was going to say that Gary! LOL. No more Fe left to wear off.

When it comes to UOA`s and wear metals,which wear metal is THEE one to watch for? Is it fe or something else?

Well, Fe tends to track mileage. Others, not so much. So when you see a normal progressing in Fe (whatever "normal" is for you) and you see a spike of something like Pb ..Cu ..you can reason that something is "unright". The source/cause isn't always apparent, but it starts your investigation.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
When it comes to UOA`s and wear metals,which wear metal is THEE one to watch for? Is it fe or something else?

Doug tracked/tracks Fe as (one of the) condemnation points for the lubricant. His "limit" was 150ppm.

Obviously if one saw 150ppm in 2,000Km, and previous UOA's showed 5ppm, then it would raise a flag, but Fe by itself is not something that should be used to gauge the performance of the lubricant in comparison with another.

ATT. OVERKILL, English is not my first lanuage i speak Canadian mostly. Are you a man/you argue like a woman. Now, moving on my point is: how am I doing teach?? Fe. is a warning sometimes for potential problems, a factory fill is not always proof that the oil is worthwhile>nor being the best seller.Fram by far proves this,Fram made filters show up with factory fills. Money is the root of why a oil is used. I know that to be a fact, the guy in the diner told me so.His name is BORAT.

so far i've seen nothing to really reassure me.
suffice it to say, that i will continue to use PZ YB, ST synthetic, and MC semi synthetic, Valvoline conv., Napa synthetic, and QS. There is no good proof that using Mobile 1 will give me any more value for my money, and I am sufficiently spooked, as well as being normally frugal and skeptical about paying extra just for a "premium name". I prefer to pay a bit less, and change at regular intervals. I do know, that the 1995 Dodge Colt that I inherited from my brother, was changed regular like clockwork, on dino Castrol, 5w30, every 3000k, and at 290,000 kilometers the engine is silent and powerful as on day 1.
The only difference that I do now, is add outboard oil to the gas, 600:1 ratio, which I now do on all of my vehicles. I use a blend of 50% synthetic PZ tcw3 with 50% ST conv. tcw3 marine oil.
which works out to 20$ per 4 quarts, or about 1% premium to the price of my fuel, for a 2% increase in mileage.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
so far i've seen nothing to really reassure me.
suffice it to say, that i will continue to use PZ YB, ST synthetic, and MC semi synthetic, Valvoline conv., Napa synthetic, and QS. There is no good proof that using Mobile 1 will give me any more value for my money, and I am sufficiently spooked, as well as being normally frugal and skeptical about paying extra just for a "premium name". I prefer to pay a bit less, and change at regular intervals. I do know, that the 1995 Dodge Colt that I inherited from my brother, was changed regular like clockwork, on dino Castrol, 5w30, every 3000k, and at 290,000 kilometers the engine is silent and powerful as on day 1.
The only difference that I do now, is add outboard oil to the gas, 600:1 ratio, which I now do on all of my vehicles. I use a blend of 50% synthetic PZ tcw3 with 50% ST conv. tcw3 marine oil.
which works out to 20$ per 4 quarts, or about 1% premium to the price of my fuel, for a 2% increase in mileage.

You ARE scoobie!!!

For what most engines encounter on a daily basis, Mobil 1 won't reduce wear for you IMO. The Fe people see is Fe and it has to come from somewhere right?

Originally Posted By: buster
For what most engines encounter on a daily basis, Mobil 1 won't reduce wear for you IMO. The Fe people see is Fe and it has to come from somewhere right?

Wasn't it you who posted on the chemical Fe values presented by Redline?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: buster

Wasn't it you who posted on the chemical Fe values presented by Redline?

Yes, he mentioned chemical and adhesive wear. It's my understanding that even among professionals, oil analysis is tricky to use as a tool to compare motor oils. This is why they use controlled, engine testing.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
RedLine sometimes shows increased Pb values on the initial changeover but that seems to settle off after a few OCIs. RedLine usually returns really low Fe values from what I've observed.

Not that a few ppm of Pb or Fe in a UOA really matters all that much.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1154400

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1215910&fpart=1

There was a paper/statement from a guy at Redline that buster posted up a while back. It was a good read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back