Red Line 10W-40, 6,268 mi, '89 BMW 325i (E30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woohoo Red Line oil! I was NOT expecting particularly good numbers on my first Red Line run, but it looks like the stuff did good! With one exception (more on that later) the oil has given me wear numbers, over a decent number of miles, that look like they came out of a barely-broken-in Toyota. Look at aluminum: results of 5,5 and now zero. Iron, down from a prior low of 14 to 7. Chrome down to undetectable, copper down, and the oil, no surprise, in fine shape.

The one exception requires some explanation and a bit of concern. The lead is up, to 10, a number Blackstone flagged as excessive. While a concern, what I didn't tell Blackstone was that between the last tested run and this run I ended my experimental chemical flogging of the engine (see these threads for more of my chemical flogging details:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1151365#Post1151365
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...142#Post1112142

with a solvent flush. I put in fresh oil with some CRC Fast Engine Flush and extended the directions on the flush by idling for many periods of time, with cool-downs between. The results were pretty much nothing. The oil didn't really get all that dirty (a bit), and the engine didn't get any cleaner as far as I could tell.

I then removed the oil pan (to replace gasket and visually inspect pan and bottom end of engine), filled with Red Line and put on a new filter.

I think it is most likely that the lead is from the flush. Either it was present in trace amounts in the flush itself (company says no, though) or it actually caused some wear to the bearings during the flush process. I think the latter is more likely. Although I got as much of the flush oil out as possible, the car does have an oil cooler, so there was some significant amount remaining. The only concern I have with this theory, other than the fact that some unnecessary bearing wear occurred, is that there would have had to be something like 100ppm lead in the flush oil to contaminate the new oil to a 10ppm degree (estimating 0.5qt remaining, 5qt added).

It could also be, as Blackstone mentioned, a "particle streak," especially if something got into the pan while I was doing the gasket job, most likely when maneuvering the pan into position, which requires some wrangling in close proximity to (and contact with) unclean engine and other surfaces.

Finally, when I did get the pan back on the pump failed to prime, and I ended up taking it back off, priming it with a drill, and re-attaching to get it to work. The engine probably ran for 20 seconds or so with no oil pressure.

With all this going on I am not overly concerned with the lead numbers, yet, although I think I will re-sample after 5-6k to keep a close eye on it.

Mainly, though, I'm highly impressed with the overall dramatic decrease in apparent engine wear using the Red Line. I don't believe I have seen ANY M20-engine oil analyses on BITOG with non-lead wear numbers this low. It looks like this is the exact oil this engine needs.

Okay, other issues. I think there's probably a bit of fuel in the oil given the flashpoint, which should be higher for Red Line. Not a big problem, apparently. Si is hard to judge, it is most likely related to the oil pan gasket change, with possible ingress of contaminants and the use of silicone sealant on the gasket. The Na/K numbers are still there... another thing to continue to keep an eye on. There's no evidence of a coolant leak.

I DID change the oil, after getting the results, though not really because of the results. I was planning on continuing to 10k or so, but I decided to change the oil pan gasket (again!) after discovering I hadn't gotten it quite right on the first try. It went easier and I think there's less chance of having gotten any dirt in the pan this time. I filled with a fresh batch of Red Line and put on a new Mahle filter. I'm curious to see how the Mahle compares to the Purolators I've been using for these past few OCIs. Note again that with this new filter, insolubles went back up compared to the previous 0.2 on an old filter that was on its second full run with a total of over 12k miles of use.

That's it. Blackstone's comments are below the results. Your comments are encouraged and appreciated.

Sample Date..............2/9/08....3/19/08....5/12/08
Miles on oil:..............6,166.......5,781.......6,268
Oil.........................Delo LE.....Rotella T...Red Line
Grade.....................15W40.....15W-40.....10W-40
Miles on Car:.............288,907...294,688....300,956
Make up oil:..............0 qt........1.5qt........0 qt

Aluminum:................5...........5.............0
Chromium:...............1............1.............0
Iron:......................14...........28...........7
Copper:...................7...........12............5
Lead:......................4...........6............10
Tin:........................0...........0............1
Molybdenum:.............76..........20...........584
Nickel:.....................0...........1............0
Manganese:...............0...........1............0
Silver:.....................0...........0............0
Titanium:.................0...........0............0
Potassium:................2...........2............3
Boron:.....................305........77...........29
Silicon:....................7...........12...........16
Sodium:...................6...........25...........17
Calcium:..................1,589......2167........2476
Magnesium:..............365.........106.........19
Phosphorus:..............1013.......1019........1010
Zinc:......................1269........1234........1121
Barium:...................1............0............0

Sus Viscosity at 210F:...72.7........69.9........68.8
cSt Viscosity at 100C:...13.65.......12.94......12.64
Fashpoint in F:...........395.........370.........395
Fuel Percentage:......... Antifreeze:................0.0.........?............0.0
Water:.....................0.0.........0.0.........0.0
Insolubles:.................0.5.........0.2.........0.4
TBN:........................2.6.........NA.........3.0

Blackstone's comments: We don't think it would be a good idea to keep this oil in place much longer. The reason why is
that lead, from bearings, increased, and this points to excess wear. It could be a particle streak, which is
temporary, but given the high metals in the past, we think it's more likely bearing wear. We'll know more as
we see trends develop in your next sample. The TBN was 3.0 meaning there was still some active additive
left. We suggest trying a 6,000 miles oil run on the fresh fill and check back to monitor bearing wear.

Last edited:
Redline can some times interact with bearing overlay and show higher values, but it's something that Redline knows about and says is nothing to worry about at all. B/S's comments are really not all that good. What Pablo said is correct.

Oil is in good shape. You are probably getting more fuel in the oil that B/S labs is showing due to the lower flash point and slight drop in viscosity.

I have to agree with Blackstone's comments being hit or miss...most often miss. From what I've seen of Redline, their oils usually show pretty good results. As well, with copper and lead, I think a chemical reaction is usually more in order with their oils. I'm surprised at the Rotella results- is the the CJ4 Triple protection? No TBN left and not very good wear metals either. I've often contemplated giving a couple tries of Redline 15W40 in my Dodge.

So you guys don't think all the abusive things I put the engine through led to the high lead? I'd think if there had been any "Red Line cleaning" it would have contributed to higher Fe and other metals, not just lead. Maybe you're right though, it would definitely be a more positive way to look at it.

D-Roc the Rotella results are not at all surprising if you read what I put the engine through during that interval. The link is one of the two in my post if you're interested. The oil, I think, did a fine job.

It did occur to me that the sodium numbers are very likely from road salt. All these OCIs involved good amounts of winter driving.

Thanks for the comments.

Lead is 10 after 6000+ miles on a car with 300,000 miles with a run of Redline. Gee what are they smokeing over their at BlackStone???? Can you say oxidized lead being chemicly removed from the bearing????? I tell you what they do not seem to be very smart when it comes to their oils. First a particle streak would normaly spike the lead level a a lot more then that! Second look at the rest of the wear metals does it look like parts are banging into each other? Third this is typical of Redline. Often it take at least 2 OCI's before the numbers settle down with Redline.

So run Redline again and resamble and see if the numbers come down.You know Redline makes a 5W40 and 15W40 as well if you want to compare those.

Allright, guys, I like what you're saying. No more alchemy. Just oil. Another UOA in 5-6k. 1k down already.

Stick with that Redline though...looks like it works for you. Very well...can't argue with what works well. Although some do once in a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back