What is the best value AR15 style rifle (.223/556)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I talked to a client of mine who is metallurgical engineer (MS degree) and has worked in the forging industry for 15 years and he said the Carpenter 158 Plastic Mold Steel is better for a semi/auto rifle bolt than forged steel due to it's uniformity in manufacture and that only Carpenter makes it so they control the process very closely. He said that it is better suited for parts under 6" thick because of it's strength and wear resistance. It is also good for small stamping dies as well because it can take so much punishment.

He said to get the Carpenter #158 bolt carrier versus the forged one.

Ok so let me don my flame suit and flame away...
27.gif

Ok then I asked about the 4140 vs the 4150 steel for the barrel. He said the difference is 7500 rounds versus 10,000 rounds. He would get the chrome vanadium steel barrel and not be concerned with the 4150 because after you shoot 8000 rounds you should replace the barrel and the bolt carrier group anyway. He would recommend this for accuracy not safety. The BCG should be replaced for safety at about 15,000 rounds. The barrel will be worn out at 10,000.

So now I am thoroughly confused....
21.gif

Last edited:
Only the bolt is 158 Carpenter. The carrier is made out of other steels. And the other parts of BCG still other steels. You're WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY over-thinking this stuff. Place an order.

Originally Posted By: hatt
You're WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY over-thinking this stuff.

Ok, agreed...maybe I am a bit OCD/anal retentive but isn't that what this site is for anyway?
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Ok, agreed...maybe I am a bit OCD/anal retentive but isn't that what this site is for anyway?

Only if it's productive. What you have to remember is that most all AR-15 bolt carrier groups, along with lower and upper forgings, are made by just a few companies who produce for all the major firearms manufacturers. Companies like Continental Machine Tool manufacture these components for many of the AR-15 makers, that people on forums like this one, argue over who's the best.

http://www.continentalmachinetool.com/firearms.html

I've seen CMT bolt carrier groups in both Colt, as well as Stag Arms weapons. So how can one possibly be "better" than the other? CMT will not divulge who they manufacture for because they are bound by contractual agreements. All these AR-15 makers buy from many of the same places. So to argue about who the best is, has become a complete waste of time. The variation, if any, of these components isn't worth worrying about.

S&W Mid MOE gives you mid-length gas system, 4150 CMV nitride 8:1 5R barrel, forged version of Magpul billet lower, and Magpul furniture for right around $1000. Pretty good deal.

Originally Posted By: jkasch
S&W Mid MOE gives you mid-length gas system, 4150 CMV nitride 8:1 5R barrel, forged version of Magpul billet lower, and Magpul furniture for right around $1000. Pretty good deal.

I have the whole thing ordered for about $518 shipped and including my FFL charge and 4 mags. I have waited until what I want came out "blemished" which dropped the price by about 40%.

It has taken me a while but I am in no hurry. I haven't decided if I just want iron sights or optics yet. I should have this whole thing together by June 1.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Doog

Only if it's productive. What you have to remember is that most all AR-15 bolt carrier groups, along with lower and upper forgings, are made by just a few companies who produce for all the major firearms manufacturers. Companies like Continental Machine Tool manufacture these components for many of the AR-15 makers, that people on forums like this one, argue over who's the best.

http://www.continentalmachinetool.com/firearms.html

I've seen CMT bolt carrier groups in both Colt, as well as Stag Arms weapons. So how can one possibly be "better" than the other? CMT will not divulge who they manufacture for because they are bound by contractual agreements. All these AR-15 makers buy from many of the same places. So to argue about who the best is, has become a complete waste of time. The variation, if any, of these components isn't worth worrying about.

I believe it. Most manufacturers "private label" for somebody. Even their competitors. MIL spec is MIL spec. That's pretty much what that metallurgist told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back