what is the best cleaner for aluminum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it is ok to remove krud and restore the outside to original, you do not want to make it shiner than new.

Keep in mind that that if you shine a surface you are changing the surface area on a microscopic level.

I once saw a modle airplane engine that would over-heat because it had been shined, and the reduction in surface area reduced the heat exchange to the point that the engine could not get rid of heat fast enough.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
While it is ok to remove krud and restore the outside to original, you do not want to make it shiner than new.

Keep in mind that that if you shine a surface you are changing the surface area on a microscopic level.

I once saw a modle airplane engine that would over-heat because it had been shined, and the reduction in surface area reduced the heat exchange to the point that the engine could not get rid of heat fast enough.

While that may be true on a tiny airplane, a large engine would not be affected on a notable level unless you starting grinding off the surface with a grinder...

light sanding, filing, or degreaser will NOT cause the engine to run hotter or overheat.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Use 3M aluminum cleaner; it won't let you down..
01.gif

^Never knew. Wow. What about a polishing product? Mothers seems to have good reviews on their Mag and Aluminum polish.

Last edited:
i love mothers small power ball with their regular polish. put in a high verable speed drill start very slow and slowly stat to speed up. just watch how much you use as the ball will throw it all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back