What is Single Small Connector On Alternator - 98 Expedition

Fitz98

My alternator went out and I just replaced it. Easy job and output voltage is reading good now.
There is a wiring harness going to the alternator and one of the connectors in that harness is a small single push in type single wire connector. That connector is loose. I rigged it and wedged it to hold it in place but feel like it should be replaced for a proper connection.
Any idea what that wire does and what it is called?

And here is a pigtail to replace it:

That is the part. I see a wide variation in prices. This only about 6-8 dollars. The rest I see are around 30.00 - 40.00.
Would there be any substantial difference in quality, or would I be able to depend on this inexpensive part.

That is the part. I see a wide variation in prices. This only about 6-8 dollars. The rest I see are around 30.00 - 40.00.
Would there be any substantial difference in quality, or would I be able to depend on this inexpensive part.

No difference in quality. The actual cost of that part is something like 30 cents for a connector shell, 30 cents for wire, and 30 cents for the terminal.

The rest is labor and markup. If you have a u-pull-it wrecking yard near you, you could get this connector out of just about any 90s Ford vehicle in the yard, but since you can get it for $6 I don't think I'd bother, unless I needed some other parts.

You have replaced so many components/parts on this old Expedition that I am surprised that there is anything left that hasn't already been replaced ;)

For a very long time Dodge / Chrysler has the regulator system built into the PCM. The alternator is "dumb," it receives field current drive from the PCM. I don't know if Ford ever did that.

External regulator? That's interesting - I'd assumed they were all internal (within the alternator) now.

It's an internal regulator, but the connection to the stator is external. I think there must be an application where the stator signal is used for something else external to the alternator. Maybe a tach on a diesel application or something.

You have replaced so many components/parts on this old Expedition that I am surprised that there is anything left that hasn't already been replaced ;)
You are right about that! Still cheaper than a new one. Over 250k miles on this now. Now I am changing parts that have already been changed. I cheaped out on the last alternator, but was surprised to get 7 years out of the AA Tough One.

Back