What is "Plan B" if I can't get Amsoil Z-Rod for My 1990 Corvette ZR-1.

There are.
I'd rather have it in my oil then need to add it. But I haven't totally given up on that option.
Oils are fully formulated products with performance that is tested. You are smart to be wary of "dosing" one of these fully-formulated products with an additive, as the impact on performance is unknown and may actually be negative.

Went browsing tonight, looking for oil options. These are what I found:

15272BF0-8419-40A7-8458-2D9B5A94FAFB.jpeg
1FB2AEEE-4924-4D56-BE40-89AEBB121C48.jpeg
D6098C7D-F31C-4974-B378-F4A262A24A0E.jpeg
20462749-D55B-42A5-B464-E57AACCF83D3.jpeg
7A710D8F-8BDA-4AC3-A945-614CE87D5C88.jpeg
85A5E022-88D6-40B9-A142-78A240532391.jpeg
15272BF0-8419-40A7-8458-2D9B5A94FAFB.jpeg
1FB2AEEE-4924-4D56-BE40-89AEBB121C48.jpeg
D6098C7D-F31C-4974-B378-F4A262A24A0E.jpeg
20462749-D55B-42A5-B464-E57AACCF83D3.jpeg
7A710D8F-8BDA-4AC3-A945-614CE87D5C88.jpeg
85A5E022-88D6-40B9-A142-78A240532391.jpeg
498CA07A-FC8E-4CD8-8705-E527786ABB99.jpeg
BE3D4EB6-7F01-419A-9FD7-227BE6969DC1.jpeg

‘Also. The LT5 is not a modern engine. It’s an 80s Vintage design. My 2019 Ford Coyote is a very different beast. It’s a better engine in every way, more economical, smaller, 100 more hp, yet it lacks the character of the big LT5 beast.
Yes, those ancient 90's DOHC Multi Point F.I Lotus-Mercruiser V8s from Oklahoma ....

Well if you ain't pouring babbit bearings and the valves are in the head, I'd say it's modern :)

I was listening to Cat Steven's Morning has Broken on an LP yesterday and saw it was released
when I was in high school - half a century plus one year ago. I said Dang! You is gettin' there old man.

- Ken

Speaking with F+L Magazine in June, Arcy confirmed that with the introduction of API SP service category, effective 1 May 2020, this historical exemption for phosphorus will no longer apply. Even non-ILSAC grades XW-40s must now meet this requirement for API SP. “Going forward, anyone that is going to claim API SP on the bottle along with a diesel category is going to have to meet 800 ppm phosphorus,” says Arcy.

The 18th edition of API 1509 was issued in July 2019. The publication describes the voluntary API Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System and explains to marketers the performance standards and updated licensing requirements for API Marks. - excerpt from: Fuel and Lube magazine July 2019

I read this as if the product is not dual rated and/or not API SP then the 800 phos limit limit does not apply

Speaking with F+L Magazine in June, Arcy confirmed that with the introduction of API SP service category, effective 1 May 2020, this historical exemption for phosphorus will no longer apply. Even non-ILSAC grades XW-40s must now meet this requirement for API SP. “Going forward, anyone that is going to claim API SP on the bottle along with a diesel category is going to have to meet 800 ppm phosphorus,” says Arcy.

The 18th edition of API 1509 was issued in July 2019. The publication describes the voluntary API Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System and explains to marketers the performance standards and updated licensing requirements for API Marks. - excerpt from: Fuel and Lube magazine July 2019

I read this as if the product is not dual rated and/or not API SP then the 800 phos limit limit does not apply

Thank you! This is what I was wondering, if your oil says API SP on it, it has an upper limit of 800ppm phosphorous (it seems.)

The only question then I can immediately think of is.. since zinc "interacts" with the phosphorous, what relevance does this have? (Thank you also for introducing this aspect, with information.)

Looks like the Amsoil 10w30 also has a pretty good HTHS of 3.6 too(almost a 40 grade). You're using z/p ppm and viscosity.

Many of the motorcycle oils have a good z/s/p/ca. You'll have to research the grades and brands in your area of full synthetic motorcycle oil and see which ones have that z/p that you want, whether you need it or not is irrelevant.

Not like there is an unlimited supply of A40... visit Porsche dealership? or maybe only Mobil1 around? Or the MB dealership for one of their higher z/p oil specs. Guessing walmart and canadiantire oil selection? new car/motorcycle/snowmobile dealers? or what autopart stores around you?

I also don't think that the gurus do anything but ride the bandwagon. But, I won't blame you if you want your z/p. I mention z/p together because vaguely remember that p was more important than z. The more I hear about z z z, the more I wonder if anyone ever worked in a failure analysis lab or some standardized component wear lube testing since I also want s s s with the p p p and you can keep your z z z. Gurus can be fools. Its the performance of the total additive package that is more important than z content. So, foolish gurus picking an oil based simply on z PPM is dangerous.

If available, nothing wrong with RoyalPurple HPS oils.

Consider any BRAND A3/B4 oil, 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, 5w40 for example:

I'd also consider:

Also, Ford's Powerstroke list of oils have various grades to choose from in their list, and their statement is also a good read:

And, since your location might not be shipping friendly, the 5w30uhp or 5w40uhp:

You should gather UOA data trends with your Amsoil z-rod stuff, and then compare to the 5w40uhp, FS-0w40, or Edge A3/B4, and see if you'll still keep that z addiction.

Dose this with any temporary current spec full synthetic oil you pick.... maybe 2-3 ounces per gallon of oil: But, I prefer a properly blended oil and not blind additive dosing.. but the product is there if you're waiting on your Amsoil shipment:

Looks like the Amsoil 10w30 also has a pretty good HTHS of 3.6 too(almost a 40 grade). You're using z/p ppm and viscosity.

Many of the motorcycle oils have a good z/s/p/ca. You'll have to research the grades and brands in your area of full synthetic motorcycle oil and see which ones have that z/p that you want, whether you need it or not is irrelevant.

Not like there is an unlimited supply of A40... visit Porsche dealership? or maybe only Mobil1 around? Or the MB dealership for one of their higher z/p oil specs. Guessing walmart and canadiantire oil selection? new car/motorcycle/snowmobile dealers? or what autopart stores around you?

Right now, I’m time limited, so I need to get it this weekend. Sadly, no Porsche dealership on hand. The ones I posted pics of are the ones I could find on hand. I likely go back to the Amsoil for the next change this fall. There are two more parts stores that I’ll try tomorrow, but I doubt the selection will be much higher.
I also don't think that the gurus do anything but ride the bandwagon. But, I won't blame you if you want your z/p. I mention z/p together because vaguely remember that p was more important than z. The more I hear about z z z, the more I wonder if anyone ever worked in a failure analysis lab or some standardized component wear lube testing since I also want s s s with the p p p and you can keep your z z z. Gurus can be fools. Its the performance of the total additive package that is more important than z content. So, foolish gurus picking an oil based simply on z PPM is dangerous.

Actually, the ZR-1 community is pretty lucky. We have guys involved who really know their stuff, including members of the LT5 design team. GM hasn’t been particularly supportive in keeping parts available for their supercar flagship, so a few dedicated folks in the aftermarket, working often with said gurus, have recreated a number of parts for it that would otherwise be a problem.

If available, nothing wrong with RoyalPurple HPS oils.

Consider any BRAND A3/B4 oil, 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, 5w40 for example:

I'd also consider:

Also, Ford's Powerstroke list of oils have various grades to choose from in their list, and their statement is also a good read:

And, since your location might not be shipping friendly, the 5w30uhp or 5w40uhp:

You should gather UOA data trends with your Amsoil z-rod stuff, and then compare to the 5w40uhp, FS-0w40, or Edge A3/B4, and see if you'll still keep that z addiction.

Dose this with any temporary current spec full synthetic oil you pick.... maybe 2-3 ounces per gallon of oil: But, I prefer a properly blended oil and not blind additive dosing.. but the product is there if you're waiting on your Amsoil shipment:

I’m leaning towards the Mobil 1 fs 0w40. Even though the old fart in me pushes back against using an oil with a 0 up front. Seems a reasonable compromise, with enough Zinc to keep things safe for those infrequent runs up to the 7000 rpm redline. If I hammered it more, I’d probably be more concerned, but there isn’t many places to push a 180 mph Corvette nowadays.

Thank you! This is what I was wondering, if your oil says API SP on it, it has an upper limit of 800ppm phosphorous (it seems.)

The only question then I can immediately think of is.. since zinc "interacts" with the phosphorous, what relevance does this have? (Thank you also for introducing this aspect, with information.)

Odd, because:
Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 7.09.12 PM.jpg

Footnote (4), no maximum for API SP or SN Non-ILSAC grades. ILSAC grades are indicated on the top row: 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30.

This is referenced on the Phosphorous (9) line, with the limit of 0.06 - 0.08 (4), (10)

Back