What is going on with gas prices???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, i live in michigan and i just paid 1.65 per gal. for 87 oct. at a BP station in the lapeer area. Tell me does anyone know if its just here in michigan or is gas going up all over the place? I dont get it at all my comute per week went from 21.00 per week to 30.00 a week in less than a month and a week. I know the gas prices flux here and there buy my, why .26 higher than a month ago. I realize also many other people pay just as much if not more than me per week for comuting but is there a solid logical reason why we have to pay so much.

For instance a friend of mine told me that they [whoever they are] will say sell gas for 1.35 per gal. then it will shoot up .20 cents more and hold for a week or so then they will drop it down to say 1.45 per gal. and that seems to be easier to swallow but that is still.10 cents per gal more than the previous week? its almost like they [ again i have no idea who they are] are trying to desensitize us to price fluxing and fooling us into thinking 1.45 is a decent price?

ok, enough ranting
smile.gif

just would like to here others takes on this.

premature post-ulation.

anyway, gas prices tend to go up around the weekends, especially of the holiday type.

marathon controls the majority of the gas supply in the state, so fluctuations from them seem to pile on.

the only things in caro that keep gas reasonable are the admiral station and maybe walmart.

normally saginaw is a little more, but lately it's been comparable or less.

Its due to the value of the dollar falling. This is caused by our massive Budget debts. Which is caused by our Politicians (on both side) spending us into the crapper
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Gas prices will be up all year...SUV drivers eat your hearts out. There was another post about jobs and citizens...my advice...vote for someone who supports jobs for the average American citizen as apposed to someone who wants to raise your stock price. In todays world, apparently you can't have both.

Our dollar has increased by over 65% against the greenback over the last 12 months (45 cents to 76 cents).

Our fuel prices have dropped not a cent.

At least Oz can prop up our coallition partners and their oil companies (unfortunately not the average American, but only corporations)

gas in reece this morning at speedyq was $1.55, and three miles down the road at the m81/15 bp the gas was $1.65.

(i live .5 hour north of the original poster).

al - in the "thumb" of michigan we still use pelts as currency, so dollar valuation isn't such a big deal
cheers.gif

There never is a concise answer but many opinions/factors that formulate gas prices. The way I deal with it is drive a sh** box Civic that achieves around 35 mpg (with 200k) and will continue to drive 4 cylinder 5 speeds with a little bit of zip.

Your vehicle must be thirsty or you drive a lot of miles commuting.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Its due to the value of the dollar falling. This is caused by our massive Budget debts. Which is caused by our Politicians (on both side) spending us into the crapper
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Opec and other oil exporters still price the oil in US$'s internationally. If they base it on Euro's, as they are comtemplating doing, then we will be in for a price shock! The "value" of the Euro is about 53% higher against the dollar compared to 2 years ago! One of the main reasons for the fall of the dollar is because of our low inflation our interest rates are so low compared other countries, such as Australia and most of Western Europe. This is a double edged sword. What's good for our domestic ecomony, low interest rates, may end up hurting us in other areas. Such as rising energy costs if they go to the Euro. Low energy costs are fueling our economy. There never is an easy answer.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Opec and other oil exporters still price the oil in US$'s internationally. If they base it on Euro's, as they are comtemplating doing, then we will be in for a price shock! The "value" of the Euro is about 53% higher against the dollar compared to 2 years ago! One of the main reasons for the fall of the dollar is because of our low inflation our interest rates are so low compared other countries, such as Australia and most of Western Europe. This is a double edged sword. What's good for our domestic ecomony, low interest rates, may end up hurting us in other areas. Such as rising energy costs if they go to the Euro. Low energy costs are fueling our economy. There never is an easy answer.

Whimsey

You are right on.

Whimsey,
just whar are the U.S. official interest rates at present ?

Ours were 4.75% for the last few years, but have been bumped up to 5.25% by the reserve bank to slow the economy a bit.

By Oz standards, these are considered low.

(BTW, I agree that oil being traded in Euros has got the U.S. government very very scared)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back