What is Ford oil specification WSS-M2C930-A ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get the oil changed on my company owned 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid. It calls for Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 that meets Ford oil specification WSS-M2C930-A.

It's not convenient for me to get to a Ford dealer so I need to go a local garage.

Can I assume any 5W-20 meets this spec????

Thanks

Its the old 5w-20 spec. WSS-M2C946-A replaced the 930-A spec. Itll say on the back of the oil if it meets the spec, which I havent found very many oils that havent met the 930/946 oil specs.

If is 5W-20 the recommendation is WSS-M2C945-A if it is 5W-30 WSS-M2C946-A. Chevron Supreme, Havoline, Castrol, the Conoco Phillips family, Mobil Super, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State, and Formula Shell 5W-20 meet or exceed the spec for your Escape.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
If is 5W-20 the recommendation is WSS-M2C945-A if it is 5W-30 WSS-M2C946-A. Chevron Supreme, Havoline, Castrol, the Conoco Phillips family, Mobil Super, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State, and Formula Shell 5W-20 meet or exceed the spec for your Escape.

The WSS-M2C930-A was taken directly out of the 2011 Owner's Guide that came with the car....

Originally Posted By: Foch

The WSS-M2C930-A was taken directly out of the 2011 Owner's Guide that came with the car....

The spec changed in late 2011. Basically changed when all oils went to the SN spec.

And you should be fine but it is obsolete spec. The new Ford spec is WSS-M2C945-A for 5W-20 oils.

Ford oil specification WSS-M2C930-A...

No. Basically, the engineering requirements are usually enhancements to the API/ISLAC specs.
The FORD Engineering Spec WSS-M2C930-A "Shall meet all the requirements of the ILSAC GF-4 Minimum Performance Standard for Passenger Car Engine Oils" plus the following...."
http://www.ilma.org/resources/ford_service_fill_specs.pdf

1999 Olds GLS

The API SN Motorcraft 5w-20 oil bottles don't even list the WSS-M2C930-A spec anymore. Instead, they list the 945 spec that superseded it. Some oil bottles/mfr websites will state that it meets both specs, but this is redundant, since the 945 spec supersedes and replaces the 930 spec.

I bought a 930 spec PU jug and used it with confindence. Then again, my car is a 2007.

Anything they would offer you at an oil change shop should be fine. Just stay away from the bulk oil in the gun or box. Tell them you want bottled oil.

I need to get the oil changed on my company owned 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid. It calls for Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 that meets Ford oil specification WSS-M2C930-A.

It's not convenient for me to get to a Ford dealer so I need to go a local garage.

Thanks

I just went through this on my 2011 F150. Spec changed to WSS-M2C945-A for the 5w20 oils in late 2011. They didn't update or send out spec sheets showing this, and of the 3 dealers I've discussed this with, none were even aware of the spec change. All three dealers said to go with 5w20 oil that meets the WSS-M2C945-A spec, as that's the gold standard now. None could give me any paperwork to back up this recommendation.

This one is recommended for it too: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=1&pcid=21

I'm using it in my 2012 fiesta, which also requests that spec.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back