what is difference between these 2 oils if Liquid Moly

I am looking for oil for my 2014 991 which has used Mobile 1 0-W40 since new. Can someone explain the differences between these two oils other than the 5-40,0-40. Of the two which would be the better choice. Which is bthe better oil. Car is driven regularly 11 months of the year about 6k miles

open-uri20190111-18474-yr1stm.

MOL-LM2049.jpg

Go on the LiquiMoly website, there you can put in your car make & model and LiquiMoly will tell you which of their oils is best suited.
Sometimes they give you only 1 choice sometimes many.

Molygen - Advanced additive package with dye tracer. Probable Group 3(3+) mix with ester, AN etc. No formal approvals (probably due to the dye). Probably as shear stable vs Snythoil due to narrower viscosity spread and has a lower NOACK (10% vs 11%)

Synthoil Energy - PAO mix with (ester, AN, etc) only one formal approval (A40). NOACK 11%.

Flip a coin.

Stick with Mobil 1 unless you want to change for the sake of changing. 6k miles a year is nothing.

I was going to say stick with the M1 0w40, which is a better choice than either of the LM products (in my humble opinion).

Love the 991, btw.

Why stick with Mobil 1, Is Mobil 1 the better oil? Some 991 owners claim it shears down to 0-w30. Car is never tracked and really not driven too hard. Here is a pic of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Yes. Most any 0w40 will shear down to 0w30. That is not something unique to Mobil 1.
On the Porsche site they really bash Mobil 1. Those guys are a little anal so I take what they say with a large grain of salt.

On the Porsche site they really bash Mobil 1. Those guys are a little anal so I take what they say with a large grain of salt.
I'd love to see anyone come up with any objective technical information that would show where one oil with A40 approval is better than another.

Unless they have actual Sequence results or Porsche inside testing then the answer is that they can not. You will either get worthless $30 UOA or "it feels better" or some other such subjective comments.

Because it's not unique, and what Porsche recommends, and available everywhere, a lot of people find that boring and just have to use something "better."

Mobil 1 0w40 is one of the best oils in the world, and inexpensive. If it makes you feel better to buy Ravenol or LM or Motul, go for it. But you're not going to gain anything from it other than feelings.

Why stick with Mobil 1, Is Mobil 1 the better oil? Some 991 owners claim it shears down to 0-w30. Car is never tracked and really not driven too hard. Here is a pic of it.
Even more reason to stick with what's been proven to provide excellent protection, is easy to find, is mfr-approved, etc.

Don't lose sleep over oil :) and enjoy that beautiful 991! I know I would.

Mobil 1 is not a favorite among Porsche owners.
I believe Motul tends to be. The 300V for track applications. For street, whichever one has the correct approval.

The 0W40 Synthoil Energy is an older oil and one of the few group 4 PAO-based oils LM sells. Molygen has a tungsten-based friction modifier and a UV dye for leak detection. I've used it in my Sportwagen.

When I owned a Mazdaspeed 3 Mobil 1 was constantly derided on most of the Mazdaspeed forums. There were lots of comments about how Mobil 1 was garbage, yet when I would post one of my MS3's UOAs(where I ran M1 EP 5W-30 for 7.5k miles with no issues) no one had anything to say.

I'd love to see anyone come up with any objective technical information that would show where one oil with A40 approval is better than another.

Unless they have actual Sequence results or Porsche inside testing then the answer is that they can not. You will either get worthless $30 UOA or "it feels better" or some other such subjective comments.
Precisely.

Back