What is Cam Guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have two 172's with H2AD's. As far as we can tell, unless this information has changed in the last two years, cam guard is never mentioned. What is mentioned is an oil with the Lycoming LW-16702 additive of the aviation oils available in North America such as :Aeroshell W100 plus, W80 Plus, W 15w50, Phillips Victory 100 AW, Exxon Elite 20w50. Or a bottle of the LW-16702 Additive added to a random Aviation oil not mentioned above. The oil has to be changed out after 50 hours or another bottle of LW-16702 put in. If you use more than two qts of add oil during the oci of a different brand than what the oci started with, then another bottle of LW-16702 has to be added, or another oil change performed with oil containing the LW-16702 additive or the random other oil with LW-16702.
Now before I worked there, pilots were using random oils for make up oil, not containing the LW-16702 requirement and they sustained engine failures in both aircraft, before the current "controller" engines.
Cam Guard seems pretty Legit (over the competing brand that's made from a 10 weight conventional mineral mixed with starting fluid.) I've used cam guard in our H2AD's a few times with W 100 Plus when performing oci's. I hope to God, Cam Guard is not sone auto rx variant.

It is not an Auto-RX variant and has no association with Auto-RX.

I don't know why one would think so.

I also know the inventor and he spent a lot of time on R&D and testing before he finalized the formula.

Last edited:
Thankyou MolaKule for clearification. ^^^. The owner operator testimonials on Cam Guard, build a stong case.
It's no secret that our current mineral based AD oil hasn't fully been able to effectively keep rigns and pistons clean so cylinders are not making it to tbo even when running 100° ROP on 50 hr oci's. Cam guard looks like an effective solution for owner operators serious about actually obtaining a perceived expectation we would have of an oil to actually keep an engine clean in this application.
Keeping engine depisits down can be difficult when you have
Refusal to lean for ground taxi and idle.
Cam guard could be a saviour but almost every young pilot these days refuses to run it or any oil additives, and you have leadership writing it off in disbelief not caring because "They are just going to tbo an engine out at 3,000 hours any way." There is a major stigma many people have for oil additives in general because of their bad repution in the automotive world.

It's a privilege to be involved in the developement and distribution of an effective rescource such as Cam Guard and interact with it's producer.

When I did a little research on auto-rx, it seemed like the product auto-rx didn't live up to it's claims from reading comments of so many privat citicens.

Cam guard looks like it does everything auto-rx claims to do but for aircraft.
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Arylamine Trithiophosphate Ester Benzoate, papapapa ... JK rsrsrsr
laugh.gif

I bet its main ingredient is Triphenil Phosphorothionate at 0.5%. At least LW16702 is.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Soooooooooooooo, what's in it? JK.

I would like your opinions on Cam Guard. And, why you have those opinions.

Well it has a dash of pixie dust and a dram of rhino horn, but that's all I can reveal!
grin2.gif

I have known the formulator of CamGuard, Ed Kollin, for some 20 years, starting when he ran ExxonMobil's engine test lab in NJ. He is a sharp and creative scientist for whom I have a lot of respect. Knowing some of the ingredients, which includes potent anti-rust, anti-wear, anti-corrosion, anti-oxidant, and lubricity additives, it does not surprise me how well Cam has proven to work over the years. Ed has shared a lot of information with me on tests conducted by major players in the aviation field, but I am not at liberty to discuss this. I have also seen lab and field data from numerous tests he had conducted himself.

There are many of testimonials on the Internet on CamGuard, but as a scientist myself I only pay attention to data, and I have seen enough on CamGuard to be impressed.

Tom NJ
Will it benefit auto engines?

Originally Posted By: FowVay
JR, I get many of my aviation chemicals from a place called Aircraft Spruce and Speciality Co. in Peachtree City, Georgia. They have warehouses in a couple of places across the country.

You can search for Aircraft Spruce and then just search for CamGuard. It's a bit pricey at $24.50 a pint though.
Aircraft/ aviation et al has root from a Latin word for expensive!

AMAZINGLY...

PAO base-stocks are "bad" in aircraft engines?

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=109023

QUOTE:

I sent an email this week to Ed Kollin at Camguard asking his opinion of Aeroshell 15W-50,
as I had heard some conflicting opinions. I asked him to provide some facts to help me decide what to use.
He was kind enough to reply with the following email.
I am copying it here for everyone - - I hope you find it useful as well:
=============================================

Hello Karl,

I do not like or recommend either of the two semi-synthetic oils that are
available, Aeroshell 15W-50 or Exxon Elite. Both contain PAO synthetic
basestock which in my opinion, is the worst possible basestock for use in
aircraft (but great for cars). Aircraft engines contaminate their oil with a
lot of blow-by fuel. PAO is horrible in dealing with contamination and
this lead to greater varnish and carbon deposits throughout the engine.

The Aeroshell 15W-50 and Plus oils also contain a triphenyl phosphate
anti-scuff that decomposes and attacks seals in the engine. Camguard
protects seals from this chemical attack.

The Elite (which I did the initial research on when I worked at Exxon
Research) contains a multi-functional (dispersant) viscosity modifier which
holds water and forms a soft brown sludge in cool running aircraft.

I recommend Phillips 20W-50 or Aeroshell W100 oils. And of course with
Camguard as the additive package to prevent rust and deposits, reduce wear
and condition seals.

Regards,

Ed

Edward Kollin
Technical Director
Aircraft Specialties Lubricants

Originally Posted By: Linctex
AMAZINGLY...

PAO base-stocks are "bad" in aircraft engines?

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=109023

QUOTE:

I sent an email this week to Ed Kollin at Camguard asking his opinion of Aeroshell 15W-50,
as I had heard some conflicting opinions. I asked him to provide some facts to help me decide what to use.
He was kind enough to reply with the following email.
I am copying it here for everyone - - I hope you find it useful as well:
=============================================

Hello Karl,

I do not like or recommend either of the two semi-synthetic oils that are
available, Aeroshell 15W-50 or Exxon Elite. Both contain PAO synthetic
basestock which in my opinion, is the worst possible basestock for use in
aircraft (but great for cars). Aircraft engines contaminate their oil with a
lot of blow-by fuel. PAO is horrible in dealing with contamination and
this lead to greater varnish and carbon deposits throughout the engine.

The Aeroshell 15W-50 and Plus oils also contain a triphenyl phosphate
anti-scuff that decomposes and attacks seals in the engine. Camguard
protects seals from this chemical attack.

The Elite (which I did the initial research on when I worked at Exxon
Research) contains a multi-functional (dispersant) viscosity modifier which
holds water and forms a soft brown sludge in cool running aircraft.

I recommend Phillips 20W-50 or Aeroshell W100 oils. And of course with
Camguard as the additive package to prevent rust and deposits, reduce wear
and condition seals.

Regards,

Ed

Edward Kollin
Technical Director
Aircraft Specialties Lubricants

Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back