What is a good quality 20 micron filter for extended drain intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the thoughts of the SuperTechs being 20 micron with a synthetic filter media, but how would it do on extended drain intervals. I thought about the bosch filters (15 micron), but I want the best flow rate as possible, even up to the 5k or 6k drain interval.

I second the vote for the K&N filters, in fact, I'm proving they'll work. They are the filters I've chosen to run on both of my cars, and both of them are undergoing a super extended interval test. I will change the filter in my wife's Honda probably every 6k (since it's smaller) and in my Firebird I'll probably let it go 12k since the filter is so huge and I absolutely hate trying to change the filter on that car.

I also vote K&N. It may be overpriced but the filter is built like a tank. But I still get nervous when the filter approaches 8Kmiles.

I know the K&N is supposed to flow really well--I currently use Wix and am wondering how much better the K&N would flow over a Wix or even AC Delco Duraguard which I use from time to time.
This is on a 3.1L V6 GM motor.

I think K&N's are exactly what you are looking for. I'm using them on 3 vehicles, and love how heavy duty they are. They claim to get 20 micron particles and can flow 12-16 gpm! That should do right? I'm going to do oil analysis but that's probably a couple months away. K&N Filter Page

quote:

Originally posted by HondaRD:
I like the thoughts of the SuperTechs being 20 micron with a synthetic filter media, but how would it do on extended drain intervals. I thought about the bosch filters (15 micron), but I want the best flow rate as possible, even up to the 5k or 6k drain interval.

The quality and construction of the SuperTech is the same as any Champion made filter, hence a SuperTech filter would have absolutely no problem with a 5k or 6k drain interval. I use 'em and 6k is about my average oil change interval.

Thanks for the input everyone! Where could I get K&N Filters from for a good price? I have never seen them sold in stores. I guess I should get them online, like everything else these days.

Purolator will not give you any useful information. Their Lawyers have inoculated them against giving out potentially "dangerous information" (known as facts). Oil filters are rated generally at 3 gpm.

K&N are avlible at Advance (for sure) and Autozone (I believe)

Quite a difference: K&N vs OEM (approx values). 4 - 5 times the flow rate while filtering down to particle sizes ~1/2 smaller. Seems too good to be true, but maybe that's what the $$ gets you (and worth it, if so).

My local Autozone stocks K&N Airs, so seems like they should be able to order the oil filters. They do stock the M1s.

I'll relook thru the archives to see how many of these filters are made by Champion.

Have also noticed O'Reilly oil filters ("MicroGard" or similar) have same model # as Purolator

Uh oh. I just picked up a PureOne a few days ago (haven't put it on, yet), which probably doesn't even flow as (un)well as the Premium Plus. I do have an OE (Mann) though, well-built but mediocre at best, wrt to particle size. I need to get something in between these two...

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
K&N, Bosch, SuperTech, Mobil 1 are all made by Champion. They alll have different Specs. I wouldn't hang my hat on that K&N flowrate. Thats for one of their larger filters (HP-3001).

K&N posts a range 12-16gpm depending on filter size. The implication is that 12 is the lowest flow they make. I do use the 3001 on my '91 Ford 4.0L V6 and also as an external transmission filter for '02 Explorer. Kragen Auto carries K&N around here for $9.99. I'm also using a smaller K&N on a Toyota with a DOHC V6.

to me it seems a higher flow rate has GOT to mean bigger 'pores' on the filter media....
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:
to me it seems a higher flow rate has GOT to mean bigger 'pores' on the filter media....
dunno.gif

It can also mean more pores in the media, which may be the case with some synthetic media.

Ken

K&N, Bosch, SuperTech, Mobil 1 are all made by Champion. They alll have different Specs. I wouldn't hang my hat on that K&N flowrate. Thats for one of their larger filters (HP-3001). Also that's their claim to fame-hard to say what competitors will deliver under the same tests. Just my opioion though.

The K&N filter I use on my Firebird is the 3002 and it's pretty huge so I believe it would flow close to the 16 GPM they say. The Purolator equivalent to that filter only flows 5 GPM according to the Purolator book. My wife's Honda filter is the 1004 and I'm sure it doesn't flow 16 GPM but I bet it flows a lot better than the 3 GPM listed for the Purolator L14459. Those are the specs for the standard Purolator, the Premium Plus. I used to think these filters were pretty good for the money, until they started going to cardboard endcaps recently.

The two filter related variables in resistance to flow are the flow capacity per area (Sq inches,feet,watever) and the total amount of area of the filter surface. This is why the Pure 1 appears to have a lot more area crammed into its can. A large enough filter could filter down to the micron level and still have no significant resistance to flow, whereas a small filter has to let it go through easy to keep from impeding flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back