What Is A 73 Buick Electra 225 Worth 89,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had a 70 that was very fast also a 69 wildcat with the 430 that was fast also
this 73 is not fast at all i drove it and its not like the 69 or 70

I thought smog (cat converters) started in 74-75?

Great car to make out in, I had a 73 Ford LTD when I was in high school.

Like a twin bed sized space in the back seat...
Laying flat, arms over your head, and you still could not touch the sides.

I like that car in the pics with the white top. Yeah, we know the big bumper thing from all sorts of older cars...

It's not going to be a performer or strong handler, but put in a souped-up non-smog engine and new AC compressor and it may be an enjoyable cruiser... If you can afford the gas.

Old cars other than some Mercedes don't seem to wear as well as modern cars, but the mileage is still low and if it was kept well and rust free, it is an interesting vehicle that would be a shame to see hit the scrap heap.

From NADA (arguably a little higher than KBB)

Original Price $5,105
Low retail $1,750
Average retail $2,625
High retail $4,600

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pottymouth
Not a whole lot. Maybe $2,500 if it's really clean and it might take a while to get it. Any real rust and the number goes down. Fast.

+1

Not a "muscle car",not a "historic" car,not a "desirable" car.So,I guess used car prices.

Good condition low mileage '73 Electras are pretty rare.
There are people who'd really like to have such a car, from young men in a certain trade among whom old GM B and C bodies are considered desirable to middle aged white guys who remember these as new cars, like me.
The two door would be more desirable, although the notion of such a huge car having only two doors seems silly today.
This would be a fun car for weekend cruising and the occassional local car show.
I'd say it's worth five grand, since it's more than just a used beater and will appeal to a certain audiance.

I don't see why so many have turned into [censored] on this subject. Yes, it's a huge car, but if it's decent, there is no reason to scrap it or demo derby it. It would make a great weekend or car show car, as some have suggested. I had a '68 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 a few years ago. 350 2 bbl. V8, turbo 400 trans; it would pass everything but a gas station, but it was a fun car. I wouldn't drive that Buick every day, if only for lack of fuel funds, but insurance and overall maintenance cost should be low. Delo 400 or QS Defy and FRAM orange cans would go a long way. If it could be had for $1,500 or less, you might could make a little profit on it.

$1.5K or less would be stealing this car.
You could drive it to any local car show and double your money.
This car is way to good for demo use.
Anyway, FWIU, the concurrent B-body wagons are more favored as demo cars.

Originally Posted By: Red91
there is no reason to scrap it or demo derby it. It would make a great weekend or car show car, as some have suggested. I had a '68 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 a few years ago. 350 2 bbl. V8, turbo 400 trans; it would pass everything but a gas station, but it was a fun car.

I'm definitely not one of the people advocating for scrapping or demo'ing it. But, even a '68 Olds 88 is more desirable than the '73 Buick because the Olds a much better looking car. It's not really a great comparison.

oldsmobile%20delmont%2088%201968.jpg

Drape that same 1948 MY girl over the '73 Electra and it would be a lot better looking as well.
I'm sure she was still quite cute five years on.
Many GM cars from the mid through the late 'sixties shared the same general theme of this Delta 88, though.
Look at this car and then consider the Toronado, the second gen Corvair, the first and second gen Camaros, the '68 Stingray and so on.
These were all cars that obviously shared a common design thread and could never be confused with those from any other maker.
How times have changed!

with out the A/C working I would say $2000 is fair IF it is not in need of lots of leak repairs and such. If it leaks ( oil, gas, exhaust, brake fluid, PS. )bad or needs major repairs not very much. Lots of parts for a 1973 will be hard to find except the universal parts like brake pads, first year for smog cars in the other 49 states was 1973 and are not real high valued cars. My line for cost on cars is if you buy it can you sell it and get your money back in six months if not you are paying to much.

Back in 1974, I saw a similar car that was a Cadillac. It was heading in the other direction and had an accident with another vehicle. There were four men in suit coats, two in the front and two in the back. It was easy to see the four men because the accident caused all four doors to fall off of the vehicle. It was a really strange sight seeing that car sitting there with no doors. So because the Buick is a similar GM car of the same time, I would take a good look at the door hinges and lock post, because it probably has similar door hinges and locks.

In my college days (mid to late '80s), I didn't have a lot of cash so I wheeled and dealed to get what I wanted. I don't remember the details of how it came into my possession, but I became the owner of a '73 Electra. I remember thinking it was neat that every armrest had it's own cigarette lighter. I use to joke to my friends that when I bought gas, I HAD to turn the engine off or else it wouldn't fill up.

I drove it around town for about a month, then traded it for a microphone... Just kidding. Actually a guy gave me a 1911 Colt 45 for it. I thought it was a good deal. No matter.. the Colt is long gone and I have a feeling the guy was going to pull the engine and trans (455/TH400) to put in a different car.

I see you have gotten lots of advice. The real question is what do you want to do with this car once you acquire it? It is a '73 smogger w/ EGR and points distributor combined that really kills the fuel economy. Try to get it as cheaply as possible. Below $2000 is an appropriate price. This car would make a nice driver for really bad weather.
If you plan to drive it much over 5k miles per year, I would seriously look at replacing the intake with a non- EGR '67-'72 style intake and a Buick HEI distributor that came on 455 Buicks from '74 to '76. Specialty performance vendors for these are out there.
Most important is the oil. Stick with either a petroleum 10W-40 or 15W-40 oil. 20W-50 for summer or a 10W-30 w/ added ZDDP for winter. While I believe in excellent synthetic oils, this Buick is not a good candidate for such since it will have a rope seal for its rear main in stock form. The rope rear main seals would start leaking a bit on day one.
Here is my 2 cents: Get the car for say 1500 to 1700. Upgrade dist, intake, cam & exhaust and drive it. Better would be to do the same and transplant the 455 Buick engine into a mid-sized Buick w/ a Buick 350 which should be a bolt in swap. Put the Buick 350 into the Electra and win some $$$ at the demo- derby w/ its battering ram bumpers. :+)
With a best-case financial scenario presented above, keep in mind that if you ever do a build up on the Buick 455, it will be more expensive to do than an equivalent buildup on either a Pontiac or Oldsmobile 455 even though Buick was the middle division priced between Pontiac & Olds in a given body size. Its just supply & demand as engine parts for Buick 455s are much more scarce than either Pontiac or Oldsmobile. Offer the seller $1000 and let us know how it turns out.

i dont want to buy it he asked me because i have an engine shop.. The parts for that Buick 455 are easy for me to get.

Jim...
All four doors just fell off ??
Those cars are Tanks and the 74-75 Cadillacs were pretty much the ones that weighed the most. I don't see how all four doors would fall off in any accident involving one of those cars. Did you actually see this with your own eyes on a public road or on t.v. >?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back