What if anything to add for prolong storage

May have to let my truck sit for a couple months and was wondering if there is anything that can be added to a new oil change to help protect the engine parts to stay "lubricated" until it will be started after the lay over? 5.3 GMC 2005 220000 miles. May not be anything but thought I would come here and ask. Thanks.

Gravity works 24/7. Maybe one of those thick lucas oil additives but then you will probably have to change the oil after you get back if you dont want to keep it in.

I’ve been storing a car for 7 months of winter for years. No need to fiddle with the oil, just make sure the battery is either disconnected or put on a tender. And you might want to inflate the tires to 40 psi or so, but that’s not a must-do.

Run the engine before you store it. Then when you start it back up in a few months run the engine on the starter alone for 10~15 seconds before you allow it to fire and burn gasoline. That's about all you can do and it's a good practice.

Do not use Lucas Oil Stabilizer. It's a terrible product. Rather use a good oil like Mobil 1 0W-40 and change your oil with that before you store it. Make sure you run the engine and bring it up to temperature before you store it. For what it costs, that Mobil 1 0W-40 that you can buy at Walmart is amazing. That's about the best thing you can do.

May have to let my truck sit for a couple months and was wondering if there is anything that can be added to a new oil change to help protect the engine parts to stay "lubricated" until it will be started after the lay over? 5.3 GMC 2005 220000 miles. May not be anything but thought I would come here and ask. Thanks.
I would say you're good to go with a fresh oil change. Oil doesn't evaporate just sitting there. I would NOT add Lucas or some thickener. Recall that engines in salvage yards for years still have trace oil remaining on bearing surfaces etc. even after that time.

I park my Mustang GT every year over winter. I just change the oil before I park it. Run the tank low on gas with fuel stabilizer in it. Put a battery maintainer on it. Wait til spring.

I used to fill the tank with gas but I find even with fuel stabilizer the gas would go bad from sitting. Its a plastic fuel tank so I'm not worried about the tank rusting. If you had an older car with a metal tank I would probably fill it up. My Cessna 150 has metal tanks. I rarely fly it in the winter. I keep the tanks right full.

Couple of months is nothing. I've had cars sitting over 5 years and the engine starts without issues and the oil is fine. I found the biggest issue from sitting is the electric fuel pump stops working probably from crud forming on the brushes and armature. For that reason I try to start and run it every 3 or 4 months for 30 seconds or so to clean off that crud.

A couple months is not a long time. I would do nothing. I would maintain the battery during that time.

Thanks for the replies. I usually buy the Havoline 5w-30 Lifelong full synthetic as that box comes in the 6 qt pack and that is how much I need for my truck so I assume it will be fine?

Thanks for the replies. I usually buy the Havoline 5w-30 Lifelong full synthetic as that box comes in the 6 qt pack and that is how much I need for my truck so I assume it will be fine?
Yes.

Run the engine before you store it. Then when you start it back up in a few months run the engine on the starter alone for 10~15 seconds before you allow it to fire and burn gasoline. That's about all you can do and it's a good practice.

Do not use Lucas Oil Stabilizer. It's a terrible product. Rather use a good oil like Mobil 1 0W-40 and change your oil with that before you store it. Make sure you run the engine and bring it up to temperature before you store it. For what it costs, that Mobil 1 0W-40 that you can buy at Walmart is amazing. That's about the best thing you can do.
What do you mean by this? "Then when you start it back up in a few months run the engine on the starter alone for 10~15 seconds before you allow it to fire and burn gasoline."

What do you mean by this? "Then when you start it back up in a few months run the engine on the starter alone for 10~15 seconds before you allow it to fire and burn gasoline."
Do you know what "flood mode" is?

Check this video out:

After seeing what you posted I googled that and saw a couple videos about how and why a person would do that. Never knew anything about that but if I had I would do it everytime I changed my oil. Will do it in a week when I change my oil again and will do it when I am going to start the truck after the 2 month layover. Thanks for your help on this.

After seeing what you posted I googled that and saw a couple videos about how and why a person would do that. Never knew anything about that but if I had I would do it everytime I changed my oil. Will do it in a week when I change my oil again and will do it when I am going to start the truck after the 2 month layover. Thanks for your help on this.
You don't need to do it every time you change your oil. Just make sure you prime your oil filter with fresh your and you're good to go.

Back