What I want, they don't make!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You get it.
The old Civics were so much fun to drive.
I'd buy a new '76 CVCC or '86 Wagon in a heartbeat.
Light weight made these cars both fun to drive and very economical in actual use.
Anyone who thinks that they don't like FWD should try one of these old lightweights.
Nothing like the bloated basic cars we now have, which are no fun at all.

One of the factors which made the early hot hatches fun was the ability to drive the p**s out of them, and not get into (too much) trouble with Johnny Law!!

I MUST show a great deal of restraint with my current ride in order to stay out of the 'slammer'!
lol.gif

What I want (that they will NEVER build) is a domestic nameplated, lightweight, turboed/intercooled I4, with a manual (or REAL sequential) 6 speed gearbox, and biasable AWD!!

In other words, IF either the; Neon SRT4, Cobalt Turbo SS, or the new Focus ST (or better yet a Fiesta ST!) were AWD, they would be sitting in my parking space right about now.
wink.gif

I forgot about the Scirocco. I knew several people with them, different variations from Standard to 16V to Wolfsburg Edition. Man, from what I remember, these things screwed!

I remember being able to beat on these small hatchbacks(any of them) all day long and not loose to many MPG's. Todays 4 cyl's are so much heavier and have so much more power that you have to drive'em easy to meet the EPA.

For example: I had a 2570lb Honda Accord Hatch auto(109 hp carb) that was EPA'd at 24city/34hwy. I always got better than both the city/hwy when driving briskly(25/36), way better when driving easy(28/39) and not much less than the EPA when beating the $#!+ out of it(22city/31hwy). And in the cold winter time it never got less than 20 city/?? hwy). Remember, it was EPA'd @ 24/34, YMMV!

Last edited:
After reading all this, I don't feel so bad anymore.
lol.gif

I had a 1980 Mustang L. Not GL, not LX, certainly not GLX. Just "L". It had a 2.3, (with quite possibly the largest fan shroud Ford has ever produced for a Mustang) Four speed manual, AM radio, plain silver painted steel wheels with black plastic center caps that looked like Dog dishes with fake lugnuts in them.

It was not fast....faster than a A18 powered Honda Quaalude and certainly faster than any CVCC. But that's not fast. Even by 1987 standards it was slow. And yet it was a fun car that took heaps of abuse and seldom used much gas. I don't think I tracked the mileage....I don't remember the mpg if I was tracking it.

For having bargain basement 14"s on it, it handled okay. It was a little dodgy in the rain but it could corner okay. Probably more a product of it's light weight than the actual components (which were a little softer and in some cases absent compared to the GLX/GT from that year)

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has fond memories of a car like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back