What I asked for and what I got..BG 6600 ?

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
To my local Honda dealer asking for a transmission "drain and fill" is translated to"perform a B&G power flush using BG6600".

My pragmatic side looks at this as a waste of money as I've been maintaining this slightly ahead of the severe schedule already.

My cautious side says this transmissions runs hotter than it should anyway due to VCM clutching and my frequent towing and keeping very fresh fluid in it is going to ultimately pay off.

Regardless, it isn't what I asked for.

Had a gentlemanly but direct conversation with the guy about their protocol, and he offered to reduce the bill to that of a drain and fill and I met him half way beyond that

IMG_4342 (2).jpeg

I honestly don't know what they did.

A drain and refill takes almost 4 quarts, so 6 quarts isn't enough for two.

The 6600 is the cleaner and conditioner snake oil kit. I would not be pleased if someone added a can of that cleaner to my trans and only performed a partial fluid changeout (40-50%) afterwards.

My guess is that you received a single drain and refill and the snake oil kit went into the trash can.

Last edited:

The 6600 is the cleaner and conditioner snake oil kit. I would not be pleased if someone added a can of that cleaner to my trans and only performed a partial fluid changeout (40-50%) afterwards.

My guess is that you received a single drain and refill and the snake oil kit went into the trash can.
I didnt either, The guy walked me through the procedure.

As long as they actually did it - I feel confident whatever was old or flush is out -its the gall of the whole upsell thing when I was specific is upsetting.

Cleaner stays in a few minutes, then they flush till the return is clear through a site glass. They actually use a little more ATF than they charge for but when you are making 100% of percent whats a half a quart.

Its snake oil. We are stuck with their garbage for reasons beyond my control. FWIW the techs never upsell the BG stuff because their trans machines take forever. The actual line techs just tell us to bill out the proper Motorcraft or Mazda fluid and will use that.

This is why people hate dealerships so much and assume they are being taken advantage of. The classic scenario of ask for one thing, and somehow "accidentally" a more expensive service is performed. It might not be intentional price gouging, but even if it is accidental that kind of sloppiness shouldn't be tolerated.

They gotta pay for that BG equipment somehow !

Honda of America is adamant about using machines for ATF "flushes" so I'm surprised the shop even bought or leased one.

It's not that difficult. They flushed the transmission with a machine, which typically requires slightly more ATF than the trans actually holds. The cleaner product was put in before the flush.

That was my point. His trans holds 8-9 QTs, so 6 wasn’t nearly enough.
His invoice does not reflect what was done. He asked for a drain and fill, but they did the entire fluid exchange process (12 -16 quarts used), then he made them reduce the charge to reflect what he requested. That's how I interpret his posts.

EDIT: His entire invoice is a bit screwy - it lists the fluid as DW 1 H, not a BG product. UncleDave needs to fill us in more.

Last edited:
His invoice does not reflect what was done. He asked for a drain and fill, but they did the entire fluid exchange process (12 -16 quarts used), then he made them reduce the charge to reflect what he requested. That's how I interpret his posts.
Usually they just add a coupon or discount to adjust.

Wouldn’t billing out a lesser quantity of fluid screw up the parts dept inventory? Maybe they billed out the rest of the fluid to a different account.

@bdcardinal?

Yes, handing out what is not billed out is not ideal when it comes to inventory. There are all sorts of shenanigans that go on with the snake oil peddling and invoicing. I know most of the tricks, but frankly we are so understaffed and I am usually busier than a 1 legged guy in an butt kicking contest, that I have more important things to worry about.

EDIT: His entire invoice is a bit screwy - it lists the fluid as DW 1 H, not a BG product. UncleDave needs to fill us in more.

They credited my card directly with no correction to the invoice.

Rig was in for warranty work and I tossed out "do a drain and fill for me." I do all the rest of the stuff they check for.

I have a sump full of HPL and an OG FRU, so no oil change from your " mystery barrell" and AO2 for me.

I order my air filters and wiper inserts for Bernardi and do my own diff at 7500 so not much to do till timing belt time for them.

What was the warranty work?
A tail gate harness safety recall - in some models the rear backup camera wiring can fail. This adds a harness to prevent that.

Hood striker kit - apparently of you pop the main at speed the secondary could fail.

This is why I do my own… Had a similar experience yesterdat trying to get recalls done and of course they didnt have the part for the most important recall (fuel pump for 19 Pilot). Then you get the up-sell “you timing belt tensioner is leaking…”. Go in paying for $150 alignment and they try to up-sell $2000. Hate going there, but have to for recalls.

They credited my card directly with no correction to the invoice.
Well, @The Critic is correct then. It's tough to know what they did. Chock it up to experience. I once made the mistake of letting a garage do a pan drop/filter change and they put the wrong fluid in. Tranny acted up and had to return to have them correct it.

Back