What happened to the 100,000 mile spark plugs?

Looks ok. Looks like carbon from a lot of rich cold starts/running. Looks like it needs a nice long 200+ mile trip.
I just got the car with 40,000 miles. Changed the engine air filter, cleaned the MAF and throttle body, and new sparks. Just came back from a 200 mile trip before changing the sparks. Averaged 40 mpg. The plugs are easy to change because you need to take everything apart just to clean the MAF and throttle body. Also did a bottle of CRC engine cleaner and a bottle of Techron.

Why would high compression, in and of itself, affect the life of a spark plug?

It really doesn't. Plugs in general fail for 2 reasons. ( excluding all external actions or functions, just the plug making the spark and assuming no defects in material or manufacture)

Mechanically, some of the stampings fail for an infinite variety of reasons and affect the spark quality

Wear- just like in EDM, each time it fires a microscopic portion of mass is removed which over time affects the gap and geometry which then influences additional wear characteristics. How much and where is a long list of things that influence it.

"Life" is simply where the plug can no longer generate or sustain a proper spark

My 2016 Buick LaCrosse says 97,500 miles for spark plug replacement. 7500 for oil and filter, 45,000 for transmission fluid and brake fluid, and coolant every 5 years. My car is at 44.7K. Looks like my oil change/tire rotation this December will include a few more maintenance items!

Spark plugs, especially in the Mazda SkyActiv engines fire more than once per combustion cycle. Also, these are high compression engines at 13:1. These are just a couple of variables to consider.

The current Toyota Camry Atkinson 4 cyl engine is GDI and PFI. Spark plug replacment is at 100k-ish miles. It is CR is also 13:1.

Spark plugs at 40,000 miles, two year old ford fusion hybrid. Looks terrible.
Looks like it's running way too rich to me.

FWIW, old and new plugs for our 2011 BMW E90 328i N51, 65K miles.

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_1692.jpg
    IMG_1692.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 54
Spark plugs, especially in the Mazda SkyActiv engines fire more than once per combustion cycle. Also, these are high compression engines at 13:1. These are just a couple of variables to consider.
Oh neat, I was wondering why the change interval was shorter, I just figured it was a side effect of there being an I4 in my CX-5. Regardless, 75000 miles isn't horrible for an interval. I actually considered a Crosstrek and I think the interval for those was 60k.

Not sure what GM was putting in their vehicles at the factory back in the mid-2000s, (Iridium, Platinum?) but I volunteered to change spark plugs in a co-worker's 4.2 Envoy at right around 100,000 miles, and the electrodes were worn to almost nothing. Barely any soot, sort of grayish-white, but very eroded. She was complaining of rough running and poor response, and a new set of AC Delco platinums cleared it up. I think 100,000 miles is optimistic for spark plugs, as this engine is hardly stressed compared to it's D.I., turbocharged descendants of today, and those plugs were DONE.

I think emissions requirements got tighter and better spark helps. My triton v 10 has 116 k i changed plugs at 80 k and they were autolite silver. They looked brand new. I wanted to get them out and anti seize and new plugs because the engine can have serious plug issues. Mine went fine.
I may do mine again or at least do 6 of them to get a feel of how the engine is doing.

A really cheap and old neighbor years ago had a cavilier used rental car 15 years old with 180 to 200 thousand miles. He asked me to change plugs and I said no way. Those may break off threads and become a nightmare. Would have cost 12 bucks 10 years ago and you would be good. Now those are lifetime plugs. He died shortly after so i was correct. Nice old guy. I blew his snow for 25 years cause i did not want him to die shoveling snow. He did great in summer.

I used to change plugs and wires every 15 k. Oil every 3 k back in the day. My 67 gto was my first car. Way different amount of under the hood and car time back then.. i am pretty old and still cant imagine 10 k oil changes. I got used to super thin oil. I am still trying to learn and adapt.

Both my 2020 VW Jetta 1.4 and my 2021 Mazda 3 Skyactive 2.5 (non turbo) both call for 40,000 spark plug changes. I'll assume the factory plugs are iridium. Even my old 1999 F-150 used double platinum plugs that I believe were 100,000 mile plugs.

Not that I mind doing the maintenance, but what's with the lowered interval?
I have to change my twin turbo 911 plugs every 30K or 3 years. And you have to remove the back bumper to change them.

I replace my plugs every spring, but my Cruze is not kind to plugs, and it costs about 20 bucks to change all 4. With the boost turned up any spark weakness shows really quick. Target a .025 to .028 gap, so not a lot of leeway here. Usually after driving during the winter they are not looking great.

Keep in mind I'm tuned with some mods. I figure 20 bucks and 20 minutes is a small price to pay since they are dead simple to change.

Toyota sez my plugs are good for 120k miles, but they'll last 150k in California, et al. Now at nearly 125k. Must disassemble cowl and wiper mechanism to get to them.

I changed the plugs in the Santa Fe and Rio at 75K. Plugs that came out looked fine in both vehicles. I believe manual calls for 100K for each.

The current Toyota Camry Atkinson 4 cyl engine is GDI and PFI. Spark plug replacement is at 100k-ish miles. It is CR is also 13:1.
Newer Toyota GR series V/6 engines specify spark plug replacement intervals at 30k miles (copper) to 60k miles (iridium). The change occurred right around the time that D-4S (with DI) was added, but I can't say that this is what caused the change. At the same time, the spark plug specifications and part numbers also changed to "High Ignitability" spark plugs, the FK spark plugs have a 0.55mm electrode and the IK spark plugs have a 0.4mm electrode (both iridium). Most Toyota/Lexus models with the 120k mile interval use the much longer life SK iridium plugs with a 0.7mm electrode.
FYI, Toyota could potentially deny a emission system warranty claim if the plugs have not been changed or the incorrect part number was used.

Last edited:
Back