What happened to the 100,000 mile spark plugs?

Why would high compression, in and of itself, affect the life of a spark plug?

In and of itself it doesn't.
It's harder to ignite the denser more compressed charge completely typically needing a higher voltage to spark across a wider gap. The higher voltage "zap" ablates the electrode and ground strap quicker.

In my manual the spark plugs are listen under Time dependent items.
It says to replace them every 6 years regardless of mileage.
I replaced them at little over 40K miles (Exactly 5 years from date of car purchase).

I think the time factor is because the plugs may stick or bond if you leave them in there for too long ... However, I have changed spark plugs after 10 years in low mileage cars and never had any issues. Some plugs are deeper inside (some older Fords or older F150?) and can cause issues if you leave them in there too long.

Last edited:
96.5k that's a crazy number. Why not just 100k ?
Actually, I meant to write 97,500 miles, which is just as bad. Looks to me someone inaccurately rounded 100,000 miles to get 156,000 km and then rounded 156,000 km inaccurately to get 97,500 miles. Any other explanation is more than welcome. Here is a screenshot from the manual. Enjoy.
E4E26C4A-2EE0-457F-82B3-30235E382E10.png

Last edited:
Learned something new!
Didn't know about multiple or extended spark events or ignition ... I thought it's fired once per cycle.

How does it work? Need to Google I guess.

I changed OEM Iridium plugs at 70 some odd K. At least five years after they dumped that heat range for a cooler plug. Part of their desperation attempt to alleviate higher than the norm catastrophic engine failure. They looked great and were functioning properly at the time. I'm confident they would have lasted past 100K. I still have them.

I replace mine at 40-50k anyway. Plugs are dirt cheap, even the "expensive" ones, and I don't like the PITA it was the couple times I pulled plugs at 100k miles. It's not worth the risk of stripping the threads in another corroded 10+ year old aluminum head.

Unfortunetly, most drivers will need to go to a shop to get the plugs replaced which can be several hundred dollars. So much for low maintenance cost. Ed

Spark plugs at 40,000 miles, two year old ford fusion hybrid. Looks terrible.

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_105531_483.jpg
    IMG_20201101_105531_483.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 167
Unfortunetly, most drivers will need to go to a shop to get the plugs replaced which can be several hundred dollars. So much for low maintenance cost. Ed
I was quoted $500 to replace the copper plugs in my 5.7 hemi with copper plugs... iridium would have been ~$100 more. But the iridium has a 3x longer service interval if we followed the manuals recommendations.

Back