What happened to Snap-On Trucks?

They used to be all over the area where I live. Now, 2 - 3 years had passed...None

There are a few around here, along with a lot of shops in the area. Not many Mac trucks though.

I see Matco more often than Snap-on…

Although the Snap-on guy hangs around the local Exhaust Pros shop each time I’ve seen him.

No Mac or Cornwell trucks in our area (Northern MN).

SnapOn still going strong here. I actually see a Cornwell truck once in awhile. We have a Matco guy but he's terrible. No MAC for a long time

Those guys don't make a lot of money, at least the handful I've seen over the years and I imagine fuel costs have taken a good chunk out of their net profit.
Those guys are "route salesman". I suspect it was always a tough business, even tougher now.

If one "owns" the route to locations like the Boeing assembly plant, or to the American Airlines maintenance facility in Tulsa, maybe a decent route. I suspect routes like those two are few and far between. The articles I have read about Snap On franchisee usually end in a sad ending for the tool route salesperson.

We still have a local Snap On franchisee.

The previous route owner told me he went out of that line of work due to having to chase people for payments. He wasn’t getting paid so he started struggling to buy inventory. He had a very lucrative run for quite awhile. IMO his issue always was that he’d run a truck account for ANYONE.

We still have a local Snap On franchisee.

The previous route owner told me he went out of that line of work due to having to chase people for payments. He wasn’t getting paid so he started struggling to buy inventory. He had a very lucrative run for quite awhile. IMO his issue always was that he’d run a truck account for ANYONE.
There's a reason for running a person's credit. Hopefully he learned from that valuable lesson.

Back