What happened to Snap-On Trucks?

The snap on guy didnt come by our shop too often, once every 2-3 weeks in the early summer.
I have a few pieces from them, but am more of a Facom guy.

He'd did hit the jackpot though. One of our junior guys bought a 10K box then filled it with countless $$ in tools he never once used then left.

The independent truck guy usually had the neatest stuff from all over.

They used to be all over the area where I live. Now, 2 - 3 years had passed...None
I still see a handful in the Denver Area along with Cornwell tool trucks. I wonder if they are limiting their driving due to fuel prices and only hitting bigger dealerships or places that really use them. I could see driving around all day getting expensive.

I live in a city or 70,000 people and somehow we have 4 Snap-On trucks, 3 Mac trucks and 2 Matco trucks. It it a very heavy industrail(oil patch) town so not surprised but still seems hard to believe there is enough to support 9 tool trucks.

They all seem to be doing well too.

Well I will admit I am ignorant of what a dealer tech or any tech actually makes but I assume it's similar to what I make. And life would be harder if I had to buy $50k worth of tools.

Agree the “buy in” is quite high for a job. The skill set is all over from ability to speed. That’s where the $ differences are. Plenty of other businesses you have to buy a van or truck and tools to make money as well.

Example if I wanted to do lawns. I would need a truck, a trailer, at least one good mower, a couple trimmers and blowers, edger, insurance, license, bonding. Ongoing gas, blades, maint on equip and truck and trailer. Then if I’m in Indiana as I am all I am making money in is March through October. I have to buy a snow plow and snow blowers and hope it snows to make winter money.

Like most businesses owners are wanting to get rich and not share the wealth unless they absolutely are forced to.

Yes it’s not ceo or sports star $ but there is some money to be made. And there are only so many executive jobs and people that actually qualify for that

Based off data https://fred.stlouisfed.org/release/tables?eid=259515&rid=249 most of the experienced dealer techs in my area are making more than that median household income by themselves.

It’s a brutal unappreciative career. Yes. Lots of trades are. But support the trades. Support blue collar. These people keep stuff going

Business ownership is a different beast altogether. The “lawn techs” just show up to work and use equipment owned by the lawn service.

Decades ago, I was enrolled in a tech school for auto mechanics. If you purchased your tools through the school, you had a choice of Snap On, Matco or Blackhawk. (Some kids just took the requirement list and purchased them on their own. They probably saved a little bit of money. :cool: ) Anyway, I purchased the Matco set, as the Snap On was about $100 more back then. The tool trucks would come around to the school probably twice a month. Once, I remember buying a couple of small tools off the Snap On truck because the Matco man didn't carry something in inventory. That was my first experience of "tool sticker shock".
After I had just started working at the last place I wrenched, I remember the Snap On guy walking over to me, hoping to put me thousands of dollars into debt. :ROFLMAO: I remember the beaten look on his face when he saw I had a Matco tool box sitting there. He quit his route shortly after that and I remember the other techs wondering where he went. The Matco tool jockey was a decent man, but I remember I needed a drawer slide for my lower chest and the "I'll check into it" comment was quickly forgotten. I did show him my Matco belt buckle that I had gotten "free" when initially buying my tools and he'd never seen one like it before.
Seriously, I'm surprised there are any tool trucks of any variety with the addition of local Harbor Freight stores. There's a kid in my church who just started going through the two-year auto mechanic program at the nearest tech school. When I next see him, I'll ask him what brand of tools he went with. In this day and age, I suspect the students just buy whatever they need and are not brand loyal.

For about 4 or 5 months I worked at a Chevy dealership parts department. I always wanted to hop on a snap on truck and look but I never bothered cause I didn't make squat at that job.

. There's a kid in my church who just started going through the two-year auto mechanic program at the nearest tech school. When I next see him, I'll ask him what brand of tools he went with. In this day and age, I suspect the students just buy whatever they need and are not brand loyal.
I talked to this kid over the weekend. He told me that the tools are provided by the school when you pay your tuition. All the tools are Mac branded. All 17 kids (the class is full. They only enroll 17) have Mac tools. I asked him if you get a tuition break by supplying your own tools. He didn’t think that was allowed. I wonder if any laws were broken by the school, but I really couldn’t care less. The kid had never heard of Matco tools. 😎 He’s a good kid. I wish him the best.

368277770_292929580007669_7689709226159152466_n.jpg

Actually the ICON line of tools is of very good quality - actual professional grade tools. Less money and way easier to warranty then Snap On. I have converted to ICON in my shop and have not bought any Snap On stuff in a few years.
I concur & I was having some fun with it in the process of my statement. I've not bought any ICON tools yet but they look promising & I'm happy to hear you're getting good service out of them. couple years ago I bought a "Pittsburg" 1/2" socket wrench & broke clean in half when I was loosening a bolt. :oops: But I've bought several of their low end tools with decent success.

Depends on the item.
Exactly. I’ve never used a pair of needle nose pliers that can compare to the Snap On ones I have. Those little diamond shaped grippy teeth actually work as advertised.

I’m sure someone here knows of a brand made only in Romania for the last 100 years by the same family of gypsies, out of the same meteorite that are the greatest thing ever BUT out of the commonly available ones I’ve tried…Snap On is head and shoulders above the rest on that particular item.

I only see snap on trucks. My neighbor is one of them. It's convenient for swaps or to replace a missing item from a set. Still love Snap On tools despite the price. Mac is gone, Cornwell or Matco probably just passing through, never stopped at a shop.

Exactly. I’ve never used a pair of needle nose pliers that can compare to the Snap On ones I have. Those little diamond shaped grippy teeth actually work as advertised.

I’m sure someone here knows of a brand made only in Romania for the last 100 years by the same family of gypsies, out of the same meteorite that are the greatest thing ever BUT out of the commonly available ones I’ve tried…Snap On is head and shoulders above the rest on that particular item.
The slip joint needle nose? They are fantastic, no other brand compares.

Back