What good are shear pins that don't shear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Warstud
I didn't know MTD put anything durable on there equipment.
BURN!
crackmeup2.gif

I got my new gear in today. But the old one seems to have a chunk missing from it when i pair the broken pieces back together. All I see are flakes of brass in the oil. Maybe a bad casting?

2yr2N23.jpg

I don't think it was a bad casting.

It broke at the keyway. The straight edges would create a stress riser. The brass you see in the oil is the remains of the missing piece.

There's no chunk missing. The gear opened up. The fracture surfaces of the open fracture should fit together. Plus, if you count the teeth, both gears have 20.

Casting? Don't you think this was made from powdered metal?

And not all powdered metal parts are the same ... some processes use more pressure and heat, I'd reckon. But more pressure requires a higher strength press (more $$$) and higher heat requires more energy (more $$$) so, there are economic reasons why some manufacturers might use inferior parts figuring them to be "good enough."

I can see where the hole in the middle is deformed. I don't know how it was made.

I got the gearbox back together today. It originally had a liquid gear lube in it. But I didn't have any heavy weight lube. My other older snowblower with the same style but smaller gear box has a grease zerk on it.

So I have some synthetic grease I filled it with and put it together. I'll put the snowblower back together tomorrow after the silicone has cured for the gear box mating surfaces.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I didn't know MTD put anything durable on there equipment.

My Troy-Bilt MTD snowblower chewed through one of those heavy plastic "scrubby" doormats. The motor bogged down for about a second and out came big chunks of the mat. Brrrrrr-HRRRRMMM-Brrrrr. I was all "WTH??" and thought it was a rodent until I went over and picked up the pieces to examine them.

Not a single shear pin was hurt in the melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back