What filters are even good anymore?

Fleetguard for everything except the new Duramax, it's on Delco (PF26) because Fleetguard doesn't have a suitable cross yet. New DMax has fuel filters made by M&H for Delco and they are garbage quality. Other brands that show fuel filters are just re boxed Mann junk.

Recent cut and opens have shown that even though the media has gotten slightly wavy without the wire backing, the media is holding up just fine. And it’s more efficient than the wire backed versions too.
We were told it was more efficient, in a screenshot from an e-mail that improperly described the previous version. I'm not overly confident in the accuracy of that material.

We were told it was more efficient, in a screenshot from an e-mail that improperly described the previous version. I'm not overly confident in the accuracy of that material.
Until we see something to the contrary, /shrug

We need someone to test one. :geek:

Recent cut and opens have shown that even though the media has gotten slightly wavy without the wire backing, the media is holding up just fine. And it’s more efficient than the wire backed versions too.

If the accountants and engineers at Fram have managed to keep XG quality the same/better than 12 years ago without a noticeable price hike in 12 years (see link), then those people need to be in charge of the Pentagon's budget, GM, and every health insurance company and hospital.

that said, I just bought 9 months' worth this week (at 6.64 each) cuz it still (arguably) is the best filter
20,000 miles? no way! but happy to be proven wrong as long as my cars are not the guinea pigs

If the accountants and engineers at Fram have managed to keep XG quality the same/better than 12 years ago without a noticeable price hike in 12 years (see link), then those people need to be in charge of the Pentagon's budget, GM, and every health insurance company and hospital.

that said, I just bought 9 months' worth this week (at 6.64 each) cuz it still (arguably) is the best filter
20,000 miles? no way! but happy to be proven wrong as long as my cars are not the guinea pigs

Oh.

I did 19,700 on an OG XG3600 on the xB in my sig, the filter literally looked like it could have gone another 20K without batting an eyelash. Granted, a clean engine, that has had exclusively synthetic since the first 3 free Toyota oil changes-I wouldn't try it on the Express in my sig, it's too dirty inside (carbon).

All filters that don't fail a pre install inspection, don't cause an new noises after installation, and don't fail in usage are 'good'.

I do prefer silicone ADBV's and full synthetic media.

We lost the Peak HardDriver, Microgreen cartridge filters, and recently the Fram Ultra/Titanium/FPS.

Currently am using Purolator Boss and WixXP/Napa Platinum. Can always jump to Amsoil and RoyalPurple if and when available. I think ebay had those Ryco Syntec(price with shipping from prison island was excessive). AFE D2 and VPracing didn't have availability with their synth media filters for my applications.

The Baldwin B2HPG is an option for any engine or filter mount that takes a ph8a sized filter. B6HPG is for older GM's???

VW/MH sell the 'ph3614' sized filter with wire backed synthetic media. Should work well for almost any vehicle that requires that size or smaller when the oversize fits. The TRD filters can also be used on non-Toyota engines with the 3/4-16" mount, and obviously the cartridges for Toyota/Lexus engines.

How a filter looks in usage is meaningless. You'll need particle counts to see if it is even still working and not hanging out in bypass. Efficacy, effectiveness, and efficiency will battle each other. Amsoil filters got a taste of being ineffective in usage because some engines are crud monsters and filled/clogged the efficient media too quickly.

All filters that don't fail a pre install inspection, don't cause an new noises after installation, and don't fail in usage are 'good'.

I do prefer silicone ADBV's and full synthetic media.

We lost the Peak HardDriver, Microgreen cartridge filters, and recently the Fram Ultra/Titanium/FPS.

Currently am using Purolator Boss and WixXP/Napa Platinum. Can always jump to Amsoil and RoyalPurple if and when available. I think ebay had those Ryco Syntec(price with shipping from prison island was excessive). AFE D2 and VPracing didn't have availability with their synth media filters for my applications.

The Baldwin B2HPG is an option for any engine or filter mount that takes a ph8a sized filter. B6HPG is for older GM's???

VW/MH sell the 'ph3614' sized filter with wire backed synthetic media. Should work well for almost any vehicle that requires that size or smaller when the oversize fits. The TRD filters can also be used on non-Toyota engines with the 3/4-16" mount, and obviously the cartridges for Toyota/Lexus engines.

How a filter looks in usage is meaningless. You'll need particle counts to see if it is even still working and not hanging out in bypass. Efficacy, effectiveness, and efficiency will battle each other. Amsoil filters got a taste of being ineffective in usage because some engines are crud monsters and filled/clogged the efficient media too quickly.
I have been looking at the MicroGard Select: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...tive-truck-2021-ford-f-150?q=oil+filter&pos=3

I think it is a good one as well. Probably going to run this on my next OCI.

Back