What filters are even good anymore?

I used to use wix, but the build quality of the Mann air filters went way down a year ago - so I can only guess the oil filters are similar. They have 4 giant factories in China. I don't do the CCP or any company that will bend that far over.
The Microguard Selects are made in Vietnam aren't they?

I am confident in the stp filters, I buy the one good for 10k miles, but I change it every 5k miles, every time I look under the hood of my Chevy HHR I find myself Wondering why GM didn't just equip this bad boy with a Briggs & Stratton push mower engine😂

I am confident in the stp filters, I buy the one good for 10k miles, but I change it every 5k miles, every time I look under the hood of my Chevy HHR I find myself Wondering why GM didn't just equip this bad boy with a Briggs & Stratton push mower engine😂
Answer, Briggs & Break'em would blow up in 5k, they can't handle a turbo charger.

the blue can STP oil filters are a good value at about $6.50
and they are easy to find at your local AZ
Stick to 5-6K OCI with the blue STP

I needed a cheap filter for an upcoming LiquiMoly ProLine flush, so I grab an ST e-core off the shelf at Walmart, pop open the box, and see this good sized hanger off the nylon center tube... So I put that box down and grab a Fram orange can instead. Open that box up, and there's this huge burr at the bottom of the threads that concerns me even more than the e-core plastic did.

I ended up picking up another e-core that looked ok from what I could readily see and going with that, but sheesh, it's really this bad now? You need to dig through the selection on the shelf, filter by filter, to find a decent one?

I realize now that the focus isn't great on the burr on the Fram, but it's on the inside/bottom of the threads in about the 12 o'clock position.

I do not feel that the consolidation of most oil filter companies is helping us, the consumer.

20221224_160506.jpg

20221224_160615.jpg

I'm not even sure what to go with anymore in general. Mann+Hummel and First Brands Group practically own the whole oil filter industry now, and it's not for the better. I've never felt before in my life like purchasing an oil filter was as much of a roll of the dice as it is right now.

I'm not even sure what to go with anymore in general. Mann+Hummel and First Brands Group practically own the whole oil filter industry now, and it's not for the better. I've never felt before in my life like purchasing an oil filter was as much of a roll of the dice as it is right now.
I agree, but I feel like the Fram OCOD still seems to be the most consistent choice. I've seen plenty cut open with 10k+ miles that look good, they are cheap, and unlike SuperTech, the quality doesn't seem to change overnight when they change suppliers. This is coming from a previous Fram hater. I think it will be my go-to choice for 5-6k intervals which is what I usually do on most vehicles. MANN seems to be decent for the Euro stuff so I'll stick with them. As for extended oil changes, I'm not really sure, maybe something like Champ XL or Amsoil filters will be a better idea for that if someone is serious about longer OCIs.

I agree, but I feel like the Fram OCOD still seems to be the most consistent choice. I've seen plenty cut open with 10k+ miles that look good, they are cheap, and unlike SuperTech, the quality doesn't seem to change overnight when they change suppliers. This is coming from a previous Fram hater. I think it will be my go-to choice for 5-6k intervals which is what I usually do on most vehicles. MANN seems to be decent for the Euro stuff so I'll stick with them. As for extended oil changes, I'm not really sure, maybe something like Champ XL or Amsoil filters will be a better idea for that if someone is serious about longer OCIs.
That's actually a pretty funny but true realization, that through the years, through other filters falling in and out of favor, the orange can remains a constant.

Back