What filters are even good anymore?

Being here at BITOG and watching some quite good YouTube videos should help as well.
The problem is that is that they are changing these things so fast. I ordered a supertech recently - came with a newer date code and the ADBV was nitrile. I have an older one with a blue ADBV which presumably is Silicon. Still not a bad filer for the price, but not what it was.

I used to use wix, but the build quality of the Mann air filters went way down a year ago - so I can only guess the oil filters are similar. They have 4 giant factories in China. I don't do the CCP or any company that will bend that far over.

It seems the fram is at least still using decent materials but their build quality to me is suspect - poorly cut threads and glue where it shouldn't be.

I am on the lookout for a new brand also, but my stack is pretty deep so it may take a while. I will also try the microguard soon.
I’ve only ever heard of Federated, never seen one
They don't go under federated. Around here its a chain called Parks. Looks like "fleet pride" in your area - but there aren't that many. http://www.federatedautoparts.com/Locations.aspx

The Camry uses cartridge filters, so I can see what I'm getting.

The Royal Purple Extended Life 20-967 and the Toyota TRD PTR43-00082 are twins, and I use them interchangeably ... whichever has the best deal when ordering. They're a bit spendy, even with a deal, but entirely worth it for the peace of mind they provide.

Unlike other filters described here, these are remarkably consistent batch after batch, year after year. I like consistency and I don't like surprises.

The problem is that is that they are changing these things so fast. I ordered a supertech recently - came with a newer date code and the ADBV was nitrile. I have an older one with a blue ADBV which presumably is Silicon. Still not a bad filer for the price, but not what it was.
This is exactly what it is for me. I've been using Wix for quite some time now, but they changed. Prior to Wix I was using Fram Ultras, so I bought an Ultra to have ready for my next oil change, and then I learn that they cheapened those.

Prior to Frams I had been a Purolator user. I switched away from Purolator when the media tears started popping up, but I thought well the tearing issues must be fixed by now so I'll go back to Pure Ones. Then I look... and they're the same exact thing as the Wix now anyway with the Mann + Hummel deal, putting me back to square one.

I don't like this recent consolidation of all these oil filter brands and this illusion of choice...

When you eliminate the free market and take a lot of players out of the game what would we expect? Two things for sure lower quality and higher prices!

also blame customers who tolerate "shrinkflation"/cost-cutting but don't tolerate a hike in MSRP.

Amazon is selling XG7317 for $7.60 right now (I bought some on sale locally for $6.64 this week). the Amazon price essentially has not changed in 12 years.

even assuming Fram,s "tooling costs" have been totally paid off, presumably every single raw material price is up $$$$, then add freight and labor inflation.

I'd rather see XG prices rise 25% with the same quality, but I am in the tiny minority.

People shop by price, and the manufacturers are happy to play that game. it is what it is.

Well, IDK! SuperTech could be changing manufacturers for certain part #s
In our WM stores, not every single application is made by the same mfg.
I’ve seen CHAMPION, PUROLATOR style of filters. Maybe FRAM too…if you know their markings!

also blame customers who tolerate "shrinkflation"/cost-cutting but don't tolerate a hike in MSRP.

Amazon is selling XG7317 for $7.60 right now (I bought some on sale locally for $6.64 this week). the Amazon price essentially has not changed in 12 years.

even assuming Fram,s "tooling costs" have been totally paid off, presumably every single raw material price is up $$$$, then add freight and labor inflation.

I'd rather see XG prices rise 25% with the same quality, but I am in the tiny minority.

People shop by price, and the manufacturers are happy to play that game. it is what it is.
I think most people don't notice shrinkflation. There busy with work and kids and school and everyday life. Its one more problem they don't have bandwidth for.

I also think its untrue people buy only on price - if so you would have only orange can and the luber finer rockauto sells for under 2 bucks. People are paying for quality. Wix, the higher end Fram have decades of built up good will in the DIY community. The current owners are making bank on that goodwill. It will likely fade eventually, but will take years so they will profit in the meantime. In between is an opportunity for a third player to step up. The consumers suffer in the meantime.

The Mopar OEM filters aren't great for the price, they are basically rebadged Purolators and don't have a silicone ADBV, at least all of the ones I have cut open.

I think right now the Fram Extra Guard with silicone ADBV, Fram Tough Guard, and the Supertech MP filters are a good filter for the price and average user. Sure you could go with a Fram Titanium, Amsoil, Royal purple, or a one-off filter, but unless you are doing extended drains I don't think the prices of those really make sense.

I use OEM filter, I normally go overkill on oil and stick with a oem filter because I never go recommended miles b-tween oil change my gm truck says 7500 miles I won't let my truck go over 5k so im sure my oem pf63 oil filter will do just fine for 5k miles.

AC Delco doesnt make their filters, its contracted out.Not like the old days when AC made their branded parts. I know people get caught up in the "OEM" since AC is what was on the vehicle when built, but they can, and likely will change manufacturers at some future time. Presumably any aftermarket filter would have to meet the OEM standards for that application as does the AC filter, but to assume the AC is any better is strictly anecdotal.
BTW, I have a stack of AC filters in my shop, I use them the majority of the time. I also bought some Champ XL filters for less than the PF63 costs currently, same construction, likely from the same plant as the PF63.

Long/multiple OCIs-RP, Amsoil EaO, Donaldson Blue, OG FPS/Ultra (if you can find them)
Moderately long "premium"-Purolator One, Microgard XL, M1, ACD UPF, Fram MP/TG/Ultra (with SILICONE ADBV)
Short/factory-Fram Extra Guard, Champ/Luberfiner, AC Delco, Puro Classic, Prime/Premium Guard

The last oil filter I used is the Mobil 1 M1-212A, which is fine but, frankly, overpriced. I'm now transitioning to Donaldson white can (no blues available in my application) filters. Planning to run a 4,500 mile/1 year interval on those. I'm still open to the MG Select others have mentioned, for the same reasons.

Back