What exactly is Restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I was wondering if anyone here knows what this product is made of, and if it really works or not? It's been around for quite a while, and claims to help old engines seal better, filling up the crevices in the cylinder walls and whatnot. Is it basically a can full of moly perhaps?

I dunno exactly what it is, & I don't like the idea of it("powdered metal" indeed!), *But*: it sure made my old Volvo run better. I'd reserve it for older, high mileage vehicles w/uneven or low compression.

Notice the directions say "SHAKE WELL before use."

smile.gif

Oz

Patman,

It sounds like you've been browsing the Snake Oil aisle of Crappy Tire recently
wink.gif
It's okay, I do it all the time also
grin.gif
So far, however, I have not found any legal actions against Restore and MolySlip by the FTC. Unfortunately for us, we have no Consumer Protection agents going after these guys. But if anything, I'd rather try MolySlip than any other brands sold in Crappy Tire. My MolySlip did not come out in clumps when I drained it from my Jetta Turbo Diesel 1.6L. Then again, I was leaking heavily, so the MolySlip may have slipped out of the cracks.

Regards,

Oz

I do browse those aisles once in a while for laughs!
smile.gif
But the real reason I asked about Restore was because the topic of Slick 50 and other additives came up on LS1Tech.com and one person said that Restore was the only additive they believed actually worked for them. So it got me curious about the stuff.

Whiskey helps a cough too, but sometimes the next morning the whole head hurts
gr_stretch.gif

The CSL thing, "copper/steel/lead" (and "shake well") means solid particles to me and the whole idea of filters is to get rid of solid particles.
I don't have a problem with STP in older engines, or even 20w/50 in "middle-age" engines, but I do have a problem with using solid particles.
It may help for a while, but I bet in the long run it is more harm than good.
Rando

Here is some information from a May 27th, 1980 Patent:

"..relates to a lubricant additive comprising a mixture of minute shpherical copper and lead particles suspended in various lubricant bases depending on application. The minute spherical metal particles are presented to friction surfaces where they reduce friction by functioning as tiny ball bearings or platelets. In addition to heat and pressure, the metal particles, particularly the copper particles, will plate on high wear areas where base metal has been removed by wear. The additive has been found to substancially reduce friction and wear between relatively moving parts...The particle size of the lead and copper may be as high as 15um to 20um in diameter...The ratios of copper to lead or lead to copper vary depending on (1) heat transfer requirements, (2) coating, (3) filling of pores and voids. The ratio of total mixed weight of mixed metal powder to the base carrier is from about 1/2 to 3oz of base carrier..."

Thanks, but I'll go with the Schaeffer's multi-orhanometallic additive!
grin.gif

I would think they could really distort a used oil analysis reading as well.
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back