What does filter extended duration actually mean?

Does it mean that you can safely run a 20,000 mile filter for 20,000 miles without it becoming clogged and running with the bypass valve open? Or does it mean that the filtration media will survive for 20,000 miles before disintegrating, and good luck on it not becoming clogged and bypassing?

Here is an example for an Ecoboost 3.5L engine: The owner's manual specs a Motorcraft FL500S. The engine and the filter were engineered for each other, which means that the engineers thought the filter is sufficiently large and durable to handle the oil changes requested by the oil life calculator (5000 to 10,000 miles). The filter has a dust capacity of 12g, which the engineers calculated as being both necessary and adequate for this engine.

The Purolator Boss for this engine promises at least 15,000 miles duration but has only 0.5g of additional capacity per the Ascent test results published here last year. The Royal Purple filter tested promises 20,000 miles duration but has 2g less capacity. All of the filters tested by Ascent cross-reference to the FL500S, so they are comparable. That tells me that using those filters for their advertised durations runs the risk of running with a clogged filter and open bypass valve for 5000 to 15000 miles.

What do you think?

....That tells me that using those filters for their advertised durations runs the risk of running with a clogged filter and open bypass valve for 5000 to 15000 miles.

What do you think?
I go by what (not seen recently) member Jim Allen said about oil filter holding capacity. He stated after speaking with engineers that, "the average filter in the average car at the average OCI/FCI is less than 50% loaded when removed." He added, that with other inputs under control under control, mainly air filter, most fit in "average". I'd feel safe saying most on bitog in average or better.

I'd say generally speaking, if one's engine shedding more junk/particulates than filter holding capacities, it's got bigger issues than the holding capacity.

Last edited:
When I have cut open oil filters from my old 1MZ-FE "sludge monster" there is very little that appears stuck to the filter pleats, even with over 400k on the engine. 12-15 grams seems like there would be something hecka wrong with an engine, and as Sayjac notes I'd be worried about something else at that point.

I should do a media wash sometime and see what the collected weight actually happens to be.

Here is an example for an Ecoboost 3.5L engine: The owner's manual specs a Motorcraft FL500S. The engine and the filter were engineered for each other,
The Coyote (5.0L) also spec'd the same filter. The FL-500S was not designed around the 3.5L EcoBoost, it was deemed satisfactory for that application, not dissimilar from the FL-1A going on everything from the 289 to the 460.

I go by what (not seen recently) member Jim Allen said about oil filter holding capacity. He stated after speaking with engineers that, "the average filter in the average car at the average OCI/FCI is less than 50% loaded when removed." He added, that with other inputs under control under control, mainly air filter, most fit in "average". I'd feel safe saying most on bitog in average or better.
I have seen that quote before, and it stands to reason although I would love to know how they came to that conclusion and exactly what they assumed "average" means in each category. It seems reasonable to think that designing filters that are never more than 50% loaded on average when removed is an excellent design goal, since it means that filters will almost never completely clog up and run on bypass. But if you now double the FCI without increasing the capacity of the filter (as the extended duration filter makers have done), then the probability of clogged filters running on bypass increases significantly.

13 Grams = 8 Nails / 20 Nuts / 31 Paper Clips

s-l1600 (1).jpg

"What does filter extended duration actually mean?"

It means the filter can be ran for longer OCIs, because it has better media that has higher holding capacity, and probably also has a silicone ADBV so it stays more flexible from being used for a longer OCI. The use ratings are "up to xyz miles", and every manufacturer will also have a statement to "follow your OM's maintenance schedule". Thing is, some manufactures (like Honda) say to change the oil filter every other oil change, so a filter change per that schedule could actually get up there pretty high based on the OM.

Last edited:
13 Grams = 8 Nails / 20 Nuts / 31 Paper Clips

View attachment 145020
I like that. That's the back of old Pure One box (had forgotten about it), they were rated to 13g holding capacity. As those comparisons show, 13grams is a lot of particulates. Your engine shedding that much or even close over an oci, it's got bigger issues than filter holding capacity.

Since you post that, Jim Allen's comments about holding capacity came from a thread about the then named Purolator Synthetic vs the Pure One. The Synthetic rated to 27 grams. Interestingly at that time (~2013) that made the Synthetic rated to 10k miles. I'd say that rating, conservative now. The Synthetic an example of extended interval filter, (as explained by Zee).

Since then, some like the Super Tech MP series have gotten more "generous" with their interval ratings. Mostly 'it seems' because of adbv type, silicone. I wouldn't run the ~$6 MP filter 20k miles. Though likely possible/ok in a well-maintained (bitog) vehicle, not much cost benefit, risk-reward. ST best for ~5k-6k max, MP ~7.5k max, imo. Otoh, if desired the OG media Ultra, do 20k miles, all day, every day.

Bottom line, after reading this board since joining, like filter "flow" in pc use, filter holding capacity not a concern for me. My .02

... What do you think?
I think the answer depends very much on how much junk is coming out of your engine. Don't try longer filter change intervals if autopsy of previous ones from the same vehicle reveals they're well on the way to clogging.

I find practically nothing in my used filters, so am not concerned about dirt-holding capacity.

The engine and filter were NOT engineered for each other. Nobody remembers the FL-2055???

The 'marketing' interval of a filter is just 'marketing'. Filters spend plenty of time in bypass, bypass leakage, and in partial bypass.

If you want to know what your bypass is doing, you cut a hole in the end of the filter, welding in a bypass valve sensor, and monitor.

The engine and filter were NOT engineered for each other. Nobody remembers the FL-2055???

The 'marketing' interval of a filter is just 'marketing'. Filters spend plenty of time in bypass, bypass leakage, and in partial bypass.

If you want to know what your bypass is doing, you cut a hole in the end of the filter, welding in a bypass valve sensor, and monitor.
Or put in pre filter & post filter oil pressure sensors-when the differential is as high (or higher) than the filter bypass rating, the filter is in bypass. As Jim Allen used to say, rare except in very cold, high viscosit, or blocked off filter situations.

Does it mean that you can safely run a 20,000 mile filter for 20,000 miles without it becoming clogged and running with the bypass valve open? Or does it mean that the filtration media will survive for 20,000 miles before disintegrating, and good luck on it not becoming clogged and bypassing?

Here is an example for an Ecoboost 3.5L engine: The owner's manual specs a Motorcraft FL500S. The engine and the filter were engineered for each other, which means that the engineers thought the filter is sufficiently large and durable to handle the oil changes requested by the oil life calculator (5000 to 10,000 miles). The filter has a dust capacity of 12g, which the engineers calculated as being both necessary and adequate for this engine.

The Purolator Boss for this engine promises at least 15,000 miles duration but has only 0.5g of additional capacity per the Ascent test results published here last year. The Royal Purple filter tested promises 20,000 miles duration but has 2g less capacity. All of the filters tested by Ascent cross-reference to the FL500S, so they are comparable. That tells me that using those filters for their advertised durations runs the risk of running with a clogged filter and open bypass valve for 5000 to 15000 miles.

What do you think?
Instead of an example, it would be better 2 know what you are driving now? I do not talk about my 1966 Pontiac GTO on here because I am not driving it.

I'd say generally speaking, if one's engine shedding more junk/particulates than filter holding capacities, it's got bigger issues than the holding capacity.
I’d not seen that quote before, thanks.

Just what does a “50% loaded” oil filter look like? I try to cut mine open, and usually see nothing. I’m guessing this is all microscopic, caught in the fibers—but filter media is stained from motor oil. ?

Would you leave the filter wrapped in paper towels, let it wick oil off for a few days, then try to look under a microscope?

Back